The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 17, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #4,171 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered one of their power cables, so I certainly hope they get the plug right.
eek.gif

The mains cable comes with only the one type of termination (the 3 prong US type).

Peete.

General announcement:

PS : Tyson's estimate of 400 hours for Audio-gd gear is what I would call the base minimum hours required for a settled unit. My findings push this hour estimate closer to 600 hours until complete settling (with the Compass only, the RE1 for instance may take at least 1000 hours but that is just an educated guess).

More detailed observations WRT Compass burn in will be included in Part III of my review which will be posted this week sometime. Part IV evaluations will then commence. Part V requires me to send my test unit back for upgrade (to evaluate the new features and settings not covered in the first 3 parts) but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Congrats to all the members that have received their Compass combo's thus far. Just remember guys the Compass will go through a number of changes over the next 2 weeks (assuming you leave it on 24/7 for that time period). The faster you get to 400+ hours the faster you'll be reaching that point where the Compass gives you consistent performance. As always these observations are IMO. YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #4,172 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone noticed that very thin wire(?) going from middle RCA outputs to the unshielded wire on top? Is this normal/fragile?

Don't really care how it looks, as long as its ok.

If you look close, it loops around to the bottom jacks also. Basically tying all the grounds together.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #4,173 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it ships in bright mode, with no jumpers inserted.

Are you sure on this? On the audio-gd webpage about half-way down it says the default is Neutral.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #4,175 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone noticed that very thin wire(?) going from middle RCA outputs to the unshielded wire on top? Is this normal/fragile?

Don't really care how it looks, as long as its ok.

Dont worry, I just asked Kingwa.. he thinks its melted glue, they use glue on soldered joints so that it doesn't come off during shipment..

See attachment..

EDIT - Talking about stock power cables, I think people ordering Compass from here on, can choose the suitable type of cable , while placing the order - check his webpage..

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #4,176 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdlovar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the final version finally ready to be ordered?

Should I go ahead and send off an e-mail to kingwa asking about it?

Yes

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #4,177 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont worry, I just asked Kingwa.. he thinks its melted glue, they use glue on soldered joints so that it doesn't come off during shipment..

See attachment..

EDIT - Talking about stock power cables, I think people ordering Compass from here on, can choose the suitable type of cable , while placing the order - check his webpage..

Thanks! glue is no biggie.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #4,179 of 7,725
It's glue alright. Just clean up any stray strands you see (if any). I had some of the same on my Compass. Easy to clean up to
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #4,180 of 7,725
Quote:

Great Pictures dbs..

I hope you guys are opening the Compass before starting to use it, there is a foam on top of the OPA which was put to protect the OPA during travel, those foams needs to be taken off..

IMG_0492.jpg

I'm sure Kingwa said that you don't need to take the foam off. Everything runs fine with it in place.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #4,181 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Kingwa said that you don't need to take the foam off. Everything runs fine with it in place.

Actually, I just looked at his website this morning and it said to take the foam off, like it says in the pics, but on the other hand it also says, the Compass should work fine even if you don't remove the foams..so, I guess its a choice.

EDIT - This time I asked him and he says :

Quote:

I only afraid the foams will press the OPA and let the OPA a little hot than without the foams.
But I think remove is better .

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #4,182 of 7,725
Glue or no glue, it sounds great =D Smoooooooooth. This will be a long burn in process. After breaking in the Compass+Earth, Ill give a round through of the various jumper settings. Then Ill begin breaking in the Moon because I really want to give the Moon+bright setting a try. The idea of the Moon possibly canceling the sharpness of the bright setting while maintaining its touted soundstage.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #4,183 of 7,725
Quote:

Actually, I just looked at his website this morning and it said to take the foam off, like it says in the pics, but on the other hand it also says, the Compass should work fine even if you don't remove the foams..so, I guess its a choice.

EDIT - This time I asked him and he says :

Oh, cool, thanks for that (pun not intended). More stuff I can add to the FAQ.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4,185 of 7,725
first of all i'd like to congratulate you guys for your effort on creating this project and come up with such a piece of art, really.

but, here's the question: is it really miles better than the Zero? lol yeah, i know, it is silly question, since it was build to be better than Zero. So, sorry if i bore you guys with such a question, but it's that i'm in a really tight budget, so if the difference is not noticeable i would go to the Zero one hoping i would not get a defective unit (do they ship defective units yet? or with all the negative feedbacks, they've done something to improve (component) quality?).

lao

ps: i got a HD650. Actually it's a gift, so if you ask yourselves why i spent 280€ in such phone and not the equivalent in an DAC/AMP, there's the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back