The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 17, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #4,186 of 7,725
Read the first post in the thread for the multiple reviews of it, many of which compare it directly with the Zero and FrankenZero.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #4,187 of 7,725
My compass is in the building! Now just need the mail room peeps to bring it on upstairs!!!

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #4,188 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My compass is in the building! Now just need the mail room peeps to bring it on upstairs!!!

Excellent! Another comparison with the Zero? (Apparently this is very important to a lot of people.
biggrin.gif
)

I'm very curious if you'll end up prefering the Sun in the Compass as well.

Did you order a Sun v2 with it?

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #4,189 of 7,725
Well my old Sun crapped out again - due to original shoddy soldering. So Kingwa said he'd replace it and include with the Compass (in addition to the Earth) so we'll see. I've been using the moon lately in my Zero and liking it... anyway I'm not the greatest at putting what I hear into words, but I will most certainly share my opinions on the Compass Vs Zero... then, it's FrankenZero time! but I'm getting way ahead of myself!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #4,190 of 7,725
Quote:

I've been using the moon lately in my Zero and liking it... anyway I'm not the greatest at putting what I hear into words, but I will most certainly share my opinions on the Compass Vs Zero...

I'm looking forward to it!

Funny, I've just switched from Moon to Sun in my Compass. I was getting fed up with Moon, I guess I like solid state sound too much. I don't want tubes and apparently I don't want transistors pretending they're tubes either.
bigsmile_face.gif
(I'm exaggerating, of course.)

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #4,191 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to it!

Funny, I've just switched from Moon to Sun in my Compass. I was getting fed up with Moon, I guess I like solid state sound too much. I don't want tubes and apparently I don't want transistors pretending they're tubes either.
bigsmile_face.gif
(I'm exaggerating, of course.)

I've always had a little problem with that concept also.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #4,192 of 7,725
Im curious looking at my sun on the shelf (waiting for its turn to burn in), it has 4 LEDs on it, or at least what appear to be LEDs. The other 2 do not have LEDs. Im just guessing that these are really traditional diodes in an LED package since PCB real estate is more important in the HDAMs than height real estate is. Is my thinking correct on this or are those really light up LEDs?

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #4,194 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im curious looking at my sun on the shelf (waiting for its turn to burn in), it has 4 LEDs on it, or at least what appear to be LEDs. The other 2 do not have LEDs. Im just guessing that these are really traditional diodes in an LED package since PCB real estate is more important in the HDAMs than height real estate is. Is my thinking correct on this or are those really light up LEDs?

They certainly function like LEDs. Do you think they might have another function as well?

All I know is that I simply love the fact that the Sun opamp actually gives light. I always thought that was a brilliant display of engineering humour.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #4,195 of 7,725
"Thanks Tinsel Jim for that great burn in post (even if some members don't believe in such things it was very helpful/thoughtful to post).

Peete."

No problem - I hope it was helpful to those less inclined to be too geeky about audio.
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #4,196 of 7,725
Yeah I tried to ignore the whole "tube-like" words they used for the HDAMs. It's misleading IMO. I think the Earth is accurately described as neutral - but one shouldn't think that means 'boring' - it is still lively and dynamic and much more musical than any standard opamp I've heard. The Sun (V1, have yet to hear the V2) is certainly more dynamic - to me it had more slam and punch in the bass, and some more forward mids - which I liked with my sennheisers. The moon is harder for me to describe. But "tube" doesn't really come to mind. It has a wider soundstage than either the Sun or Earth, and even has what I'd call more bass than the earth - but different than the Sun - not as punchy - but more full.

As I said I'm not great at these descriptions, but I don't agree with describing the Moon as tube-like. But, any of the 3 is a good choice, IMO - and easily better than a standard opamp.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #4,197 of 7,725
Quote:

As I said I'm not great at these descriptions, but I don't agree with describing the Moon as tube-like. But, any of the 3 is a good choice, IMO - and easily better than a standard opamp.

Well, I was playing on Audio-gd's description, of course, although they certainly aren't the only ones to have talked about tubes when describing the sound of the Moon.
I would characterize the Moon as very fluidly musical, with recessed midrange (resulting in more soundstage) and slightly enhanced (but not too focussed) bass. It's a very easy, comfortable listen. Unfortunately, the combination of this signature with the vintage AKG 'phones I'm mostly using is not very complimentary. Things get toned down a little too much. More 'aggressively detailed' headphones will probably work much better with it.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4,198 of 7,725
Well, Compass is inhand - everything accounted for (although I also received the "wrong" power cable - not a problem, didn't order the upgrade) including replacement Sun and my power supply for some DIY... can't get home soon enough now!

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #4,199 of 7,725
Quote:

Well, Compass is inhand - everything accounted for (although I also received the "wrong" power cable - not a problem, didn't order the upgrade) including replacement Sun and my power supply for some DIY... can't get home soon enough now!

So you received an Australian power cable as well? What an odd mix-up.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #4,200 of 7,725
Ha yeah not sure what country it is for, but same one posted in the photo earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back