The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 16, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #4,141 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, just do yourself and your employer a favor...call in sick
biggrin.gif

if only I didn't have it shipped to my office
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #4,142 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine came in this morning!! Burning in as we speak... I pretty much don't feel like getting the new plates, this looks pretty awesome.

Congrat on the arrival of your Compass ..
beerchug.gif
Hope to see a short review soon. Say, you must be the second person in SG to receive the Compass. I'm still waiting ...

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #4,144 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, man! I'm waiting for your impressions.

something quick I guess - sounded like some kind of veil was present out of the box. There was probably some head burn-in, since 4 hours in it's beginning to sound beautifully better... and my d5k is probably fully burned in by now.

Then I thought about it - that's right, I'm burning in at soft2 mode... So I'll let it burn in more before I finally make a decision... soft mode is probably not meant for me.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #4,145 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pictures vs in person are two different things for sure.

Definitely, you don't get a sense of its proportions or build quality from the pictures. And the original panel looks better in person than you'd expect from the pictures.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #4,146 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I thought about it - that's right, I'm burning in at soft2 mode... So I'll let it burn in more before I finally make a decision... soft mode is probably not meant for me.

based on my casual listening in soft 2 mode thus far, i really doubt i will ever feel the need to use this mode. there is just too much attenuation of the treble for me. i will probably use neutral the most, and maybe soft 1 once in a blue moon, but that's it. this is with akg k701s. i believe that perhaps only grado users will use the soft modes with any sort of regularity at all.

also, although the lower gain option is now 9db, i still find that there's more gain than i will probably ever need. i never feel the need to go past 10 o'clock on the volume knob. in fact, the knob almost always stays at 9 o'clock.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #4,147 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by csroc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely, you don't get a sense of its proportions or build quality from the pictures. And the original panel looks better in person than you'd expect from the pictures.

just prior to receiving my upgraded compass, i did have doubts about whether i should have waited for the final version, but when i saw the actual thing for myself, the only sentiment i had was "this looks like a really solid piece of equipment". though the front and rear are relatively untidy/less slick when compared to the final version, they also give the compass a certain humble charm. ok, so maybe these are just the ramblings of an infatuated new owner
k701smile.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #4,148 of 7,725
Dang, that new compass looks fresh...good job to its faceplate design team here + Kingwa

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #4,149 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang, that new compass looks fresh...good job to its faceplate design team here + Kingwa

I see you use NAPA brand Tube Dampers also
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4,150 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by senn_liu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
based on my casual listening in soft 2 mode thus far, i really doubt i will ever feel the need to use this mode. there is just too much attenuation of the treble for me. i will probably use neutral the most, and maybe soft 1 once in a blue moon, but that's it. this is with akg k701s. i believe that perhaps only grado users will use the soft modes with any sort of regularity at all.

I liked the soft modes after burn-in increased the dynamics, it is less fatiguing.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #4,151 of 7,725
My Compass arrived this morning, and sat under my desk for a full 15 minutes before I realized that I’d never make it to lunch before opening it up.
wink.gif
I’m quite pleased with its appearance and build quality.

Immediate impressions of sq are very favorable. In comparison to my iBasso D1 (my only reference) there is a dramatic improvement in clarity, detail, depth of soundstage, prat, and bass impact. The improvement over the D1 is similar to the D1’s improvement over integrated pc audio, imo. The Compass has so far been enough to alleviate my boredom with the DT-250 I’ve been using at work. The only problem is that tomorrow I’ll have to go back to the D1; I expect that its days are numbered.

I can’t wait to get this thing home, and try it out with the DT-880 and HD650. As good as it sounds now, the idea that it’s going to improve with use is quite exciting.
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #4,152 of 7,725
OK - I'm done reading this thread until I get my Compass gets here, currently on hold in LA.

The suspense is killing me and I don't do well with delayed gratification, well there was that little redhead in Dallas that did this thing...

Congratulations on everyone getting theirs, and I will try to not get any resentments in the meantime.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #4,153 of 7,725
I have some questions to people of the first batch:

How much time to end burn-in of Soft settings?
How much time to end burn-in of Compass?

I would like to read some personal toughts about this.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4,154 of 7,725
I'm considering getting the OPA-Moon and OPA-Sun while getting the Compass at the same time. Where can I find a mini review of them with their sound caracteristics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back