The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 16, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #4,126 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine's in Boston now... Clearly, I'll be super focused and productive at work tomorrow
wink.gif

Lol, just do yourself and your employer a favor...call in sick
biggrin.gif

"Clearance processing complete"

Woo! Now I wait =X Luckily (?) I have a lot to do/worry about to keep me distracted through tomorrow at least.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #4,128 of 7,725
Seems like the final version of the Compass is up on Audio GD website..

Nice Work Carl !!..

Compass1.jpg

Compass2.jpg

Quote:

I think what he is saying is that nobody who wants an amp (because they already have a standalone DAC) would buy a combo. Most people will be buying it for the DAC, and the amp is icing on the cake.

I think one cant ignore the fact that both the DAC and HP amp of Compass is as good as it can get at the price compared to standalone DAC or HP amp, thus buying it as a Combo to me is the wisest option. The icing on the cake would be the preamp, if you read Peete's review you will understand what I am trying to say.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #4,129 of 7,725
To whoever wanted to know, i asked if the headphone, dac out, and preamp could output all at the same time and they said it's possible. Right now i use my emu to output to A2's, ld2+, and a pair of headphones so the compass can replace exactly what the emu did.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #4,130 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To whoever wanted to know, i asked if the headphone, dac out, and preamp could output all at the same time and they said it's possible. Right now i use my emu to output to A2's, ld2+, and a pair of headphones so the compass can replace exactly what the emu did.

Audio-gd said it's possible, or did they say they could wire it for you so it's possible?

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #4,131 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like the final version of the Compass is up on Audio GD website..

Nice Work Carl !!..

Compass1.jpg

Compass2.jpg

I think one cant ignore the fact that both the DAC and HP amp of Compass is as good as it can get at the price compared to standalone DAC or HP amp, thus buying it as a Combo to me is the wisest option. The icing on the cake would be the preamp, if you read Peete's review you will understand what I am trying to say.

Oh damn, look at that! I almost feel proud!
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #4,132 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking though of soon asking a mod to close this thread and starting a new "impressions" or "owners" thread.

Methinks closing this thread isn't a good idea, I understand its becoming long, but at the same time you are regularly updating the first page and FAQ, which basically covers most if not all the questions people are asking.. maybe opening a parallel thread about impressions or owners would be better - but then that was tried earlier as a separate group by csroc too, but I don't think it worked out..Anyway, this is how I personally feel - you would be in a better position to decide..

Quote:

Oh damn, look at that! I almost feel proud!

Well you should be after all the sleepless nights you had to go through - I think the final version owners owe you a big thanks and older version owners might be.... looking for boxes for return ship, like me !..
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #4,135 of 7,725
The pictures vs in person are two different things for sure. The next week or two should be interesting as more and more customers have some units to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to all the sound quality evaluations and impressions !

Peete.

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #4,137 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pictures vs in person are two different things for sure. The next week or two should be interesting as more and more customers have some units to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

I look forward to all the sound quality evaluations and impressions !

Peete.

Dont get too excited XD At least for me. I know that more than a few others are like me in that this is my first REAL amp. The comparisons to other DACs/Amps will be pretty slim. I suspect there will be quite a few comparisons to the Mini3 though, lol. Ill be one of them.

Im just going to try and express the impressions I get more on how well it works and how it presents genres of music. I know rock is extremely well represented, classical is decently represented, trance is a biiiit harder to find good impressions with. As thats one of my main genres, Ive tried to consistently give solid impressions with that type of music.

This is actually going to become an interesting review (for me at least), as Im not going to simply be reviewing the Compass here. I just made an order for a Double Heelix Cable for my HD650s from a fellow Head-Fi'er who is looking to maybe dabble in custom cable making for fun. Ill be reviewing that likely in the same review since the Compass will be the only amp that I have besides the Mini3 which, while nice, isnt really what the HD650 or DT770 demand.

In any case, Ill do my best to please =)

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #4,138 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine came in this morning!! Burning in as we speak... I pretty much don't feel like getting the new plates, this looks pretty awesome.

Nice, man! I'm waiting for your impressions.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #4,140 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I can round up the money before the promo price ends, I'm in!
Wish me luck. :p

x2 on this one. I'll definitely try and save up enough $$$ to get this at the promo price. Should go nicely with the Pro 900s I recently purchased
biggrin.gif

Come on Aussie dollar, go back up in value.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back