The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Oct 21, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #3,286 of 7,138
I believe Loevhagan said he prefers the Violectric V200 to Mjolnir for the LCD2s, which isn't actually surprising as it's pretty much the go-to amp with a neutral source.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #3,287 of 7,138
For the sake of good order: If I had to select 1 amplifier to all my headphones; I would have chosen the Mjolnir. If I had to choose 1 amplifier to just the the LCD-2, it would have been the V200.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #3,288 of 7,138
Erukian, there is some merit to starting with a cheaper, simpler amp and moving up as listening skills and preferences develop.

Preferences - what you hear and what you like - change as a result of equipment!  You hear things you didn't before. Some you like, some you don't. Over time you come to understand what you want. This dictates how you understand others' impressions, what you hear as you try equipment, and subsequent buying decisions.

It's an interesting and worthwhile journey. It takes time.

The problem with jumping straight to something like Mjolnir is that - as your first amp - you wouldn't really know what makes it better (or possibly worse!) than other amps.

Any gear is only "exceptional" if you personally appreciate what makes it so.

Of course, just my opinion.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3,289 of 7,138
Quote:

Any gear is only "exceptional" if you personally appreciate what makes it so.

I agree, and it kind of validates why some people can become enamored with tubes.

On a second note, when I was complaining about the 8khz dip on the graph I posted a couple pages back, it's not a measurement error like some suspect. It's very audible with sine sweeps and using software like NCH Tone Generator I've localized it to 8200-8300khz as being the lowest spot and roughly half the volume as the rest of the treble range. I verified this with my speakers which don't exhibit this dip with the same sine sweep.

Kind of a bummer. I guess with hand made stuff sometimes the quality is hit and miss.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #3,290 of 7,138
Agreed. RMA? I don't think replacement will be a problem.

Still not sure it would be audible with most music though - IIRC there's some good stuff about this in purrin's waterfall-plots thread.

But I guess that's not your point? We certainly have a right to expect high quality at this price.

Quote:

Kind of a bummer. I guess with hand made stuff sometimes the quality is hit and miss.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3,291 of 7,138
Quote:
Lol, Chris. Still listing it as "Rev. 3" hahaha xD...

Kojaku

Mine is actually a "Rev. 69"

I hand-drew the frequency chart for 'em.

Mine doesn't even have serial number stickers though. Audeze were cool about it and said they'd cover me in case anything happens. They're very nice people there.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #3,292 of 7,138
Quote:
I agree, and it kind of validates why some people can become enamored with tubes.

On a second note, when I was complaining about the 8khz dip on the graph I posted a couple pages back, it's not a measurement error like some suspect. It's very audible with sine sweeps and using software like NCH Tone Generator I've localized it to 8200-8300khz as being the lowest spot and roughly half the volume as the rest of the treble range. I verified this with my speakers which don't exhibit this dip with the same sine sweep.

I don't have a tone generator to evaluate, but EVERY LCD-3 ( I know this is an LCD 2 thread) graph I have seen has a dip at around that point. It is absolutely consistent between units. For example

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/4515#post_8238133

So although I don't see this in every LCD-2 graph, there is clearly something about this frequency area that causes a null. You said its not a measurement error, but I have seen this come up in discussion before, with the mention of a null being caused by the microphone position during measurement and that changing the position shifts the point one way or another. If that isn't the case, then the reason I suspect it doesn't show up on all LCD-2 graphs is a factor of the smoothing being applied to the chart.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #3,293 of 7,138
JOnstatt, I also noticed this with LCD3 graphs, and I know that most likely I'm worried about nothing. In any case, I need to order an amp then so I can give these cans a proper eval first before even considering an RMA.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #3,295 of 7,138
Quote:
I have a S/N 569xxxx (EDIT: Confirmed Rev. 1) and it simply says "AUDEZE LCD-2", no Audio Research Labs.

Yeah the late rev1's don't have Audio Research Labs on, but I'm sure the Rev2's S/N start 531.. Then ya Bamboo's 532..

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #3,297 of 7,138
My rev 1 - pretty sure it is rev 1 - starts 531 though...

Bought May 2011 direct from Audez'e; f-plot dated 6 May.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3,299 of 7,138
Quote:

Yup, are there any sonic differences between early and late Rev 1's?

I've never heard a Rev 1 (although I'd really like to), but I wouldn't have thought so because all Rev1's used the same drivers. The drivers only changed with the Rev2's. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3,300 of 7,138
Quote:
My rev 1 - pretty sure it is rev 1 - starts 531 though...

Bought May 2011 direct from Audez'e; f-plot dated 6 May.

you might want to contact Audeze just to be sure. Just incase you sell them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back