The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Oct 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #3,271 of 7,138
I have a question if anyone has some insight I greatly appreciate it. I bought my LCD 2 back in May of 2011 literally a week or 2 before the release of the leather headband and R2 drivers. I also missed the cut off to return in and get the new one by like a week, so I was kind of disappointed not knowing the update was right around the corner but still happy at the same time because I thought they sounded fantastic. 
I don't know why but it just recently came to my attention I might indeed have the R2 drivers in my LCD 2's. I have contacted audeze the other day for an answer but they haven't gotten back to me I guess I will hear a reply Monday or next week. So I thought maybe one of you guys can help me distinguish what I have. My serial number is 5312389, was purchased in May of 2011. 

I'm just really curious because I have went through some old threads and saw during that month of May some people received R1 drivers and some received R2's, even with the R1 foam headband. If anyone can give me more information or insight I'd greatly appreciate it. If not I should be hearing from Audeze within the week I guess. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3,272 of 7,138
You have a Rev 2.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #3,273 of 7,138
ok. Thats great news! Thank you. But how do you know, is it just based on serial number? 

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3,274 of 7,138
Yeah the serial number, AFAIK 531s are all Rev 2s. 

Like my own; 5313869 (December 2011).

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,275 of 7,138
Thank you so much for the input, I can't believe nearly 1.5 years later I'm asking which version drivers I have. Can anyone else confirm this?

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3,276 of 7,138
Okay, so i'm really thinking of buying these but i've got one last question. Will the Asgard drive these to a point where thise sound very good? I know these won't sound at their best true the Asgard...

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3,277 of 7,138
The LCD-2s don't have a huge power requirement compared to most orthos, should certainly be more than ok with an Asgard till you can upgrade.

Just get them, you'll thank me later.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3,278 of 7,138
Quote:
Okay, so i'm really thinking of buying these but i've got one last question. Will the Asgard drive these to a point where thise sound very good? I know these won't sound at their best true the Asgard...

I used to own an Agard w/ my LCD-2 Rev.2s. It can drive them to oblivion, though not nearly as far as the Lyr. Issue to me was that the Asgard sounded grainy by comparison. There wasn't as much...juice to fill in the sound. 

Kojaku

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,279 of 7,138
5312306 here, also purchased May 2011. Have always understood mine to be Rev 1, but only because I also understood the changeover started in June.

What you mention about some of the May 'phones being Rev2 diagphragms - had not heard this before?!

Interesting - might explain why my 'phones don't have some of the R1 character I've heard others describe. (More likely to be product variation, tbh).

Your only sure way to know is by Audeze's reply. Btw, have you looked at the thread where owners list their serial numbers - might shed some light.

Or more confusion!

Please let us know when/if Audez'e reply.
Quote:
Thank you so much for the input, I can't believe nearly 1.5 years later I'm asking which version drivers I have. Can anyone else confirm this?

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3,280 of 7,138
The LCD-2s don't have a huge power requirement compared to most orthos, should certainly be more than ok with an Asgard till you can upgrade.

Just get them, you'll thank me later.

And what amp would be better then ? I've hears some people driving their lcd2 with the o2.. But i'm earning €222,50 this month, gonna get some money for christmas ( usually €200) then my bday i'm asking an HD600 and my aunt will give me €300 and then i'll work in the vacation, hoping i'll get something around €1500 in 2 months so i can pay for a decent amp or the LCD-3 :)

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,281 of 7,138
Quote:
Hm, here's mine for comparison:

You know, you have to wonder what you can actually glean in terms of minor detail from an FR graph. If you compare the above graph of a Rev2 with my Rev1 graph below, at first glance you would almost get the impression that the Rev1 had more treble!

I think graphs can be extremely useful, but it pays to take them with a grain of salt when it comes to minor treble wiggles.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #3,282 of 7,138
Quote:

I contacted schiit about this a while ago. I got the this answer: 

"Yep, though Lyr is definitely better."

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #3,283 of 7,138
In short auditions at RMAF last week, I found the LCD2.2 to sound excellent on just about every amp I tried, revealing the amp's sound signature within seconds of listening.  Amps I tried, and liked, were the Woo Audio WA22 and WA7, the new Alo flagship, Schiit Lyr and Mjolnir/Gungir, Centrance M8, and Burson Soloist/Conductor.  The Bursons and stack of Schiit sounded quite similar to me tonally (the tonality was silky), the WA22 sounded dynamic, rich and alive, and the WA7 and Centrance sounded a notch below the others (as their price and feature list would indicate).  

As I listened to the Alo for my first Audeze listen and didn't go back to it, it's hard for me to analyze its sound.  What I was doing on that amp was trying to determine which I liked better between Audeze and HD800...not having heard an Audeze before.  I liked the Audeze much better as I find its presentation evokes the same emotions I get from live music, much more than the HD800 does.

My conclusion, based on that short session, was that the Mjolnir and Soloist are excellent choices under $1K for the Audeze's, and past that the tube choices seem to rule the roost.  Of course, my auditions were short and unscientific, so it's hard to conclude, umm, conclusively.  The thing that amazed me the most, really, was how great the Audeze's sounded with any amp.  That's one heck of a headphone - LCD-2 or 3!

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #3,284 of 7,138

Yes, the Asgard is quite good with the LCD-2s. I've actually had a few hours with a Lyr as well and personally preferred the Asgard (always possible my opinion would change with more time though). Also, I find my reasonable listening levels to be 8-9 and loud to be around 10 with my Asgard, so it definitely has more power than I feel I need for normal listening.

With that said, personally I'd love to upgrade to a Mjolnir in the future, but being with 'just' an Asgard the LCD-2s still sound excellent.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #3,285 of 7,138
Yes, the Asgard is quite good with the LCD-2s. I've actually had a few hours with a Lyr as well and personally preferred the Asgard (always possible my opinion would change with more time though). Also, I find my reasonable listening levels to be 8-9 and loud to be around 10 with my Asgard, so it definitely has more power than I feel I need for normal listening.
With that said, personally I'd love to upgrade to a Mjolnir in the future, but being with 'just' an Asgard the LCD-2s still sound excellent.

This is where I'm undecided. I haven't yet invested in headphone amp and I'm wondering if the mjolnir is worth it for lcd2s.

I don't mean to imply the mjolnir is not a great value for its class, but it requires a balanced cable setup and let's not kid ourselves here, we'll want a balanced dac to have a completely balanced chain.

Seems like such a steep investment that's honestly hard to swallow. Yes, I'm aware of the headfi motto, but I just want to have an exceptional setup without the exceptional price. Is that too much to ask for?
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back