The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Oct 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,316 of 7,138
Quote:

Hey me too! 
beerchug.gif

Aw wait, where did those other posts go? Damnit not again!

BRB Going to go start another debate in HE-6 thread. 
biggrin.gif

That'll get your post count up real fast.  Mine went from 100 to 1000 in like 2 days
blink.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #3,317 of 7,138
Quote:
I think this clarifies my early May 2011 LCD2 531xxxx are rev1's, as my serial no is 80 less than jronin's.

Thanks for posting that LugBug1 and congrats on HS status - at my present rate I should get there in about six years. There are some though who have been head-fiers since 2004 and have - impressively - only a 100 posts give or take!

No probs my friend. Oh and the 100 only posters who've been on since back 2004ish simply don't have the supreme knowledge that a headphone supremus like me has, thats why they don't post often... Its not easy, but I do me best (sitting polishing his headphones in a modest fasion..)
tongue.gif

Quote:

Hey me too! 
beerchug.gif

Aw wait, where did those other posts go? Damnit not again!

BRB Going to go start another debate in HE-6 thread. 
biggrin.gif

Defo!
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #3,319 of 7,138
No probs my friend. Oh and the 100 only posters who've been on since back 2004ish simply don't have the supreme knowledge that a headphone supremus like me has, thats why they don't post often... Its not easy, but I do me best (sitting polishing his headphones in a modest fasion..):p
Defo! :beerchug:

I've been here since 2007 and I'm still a complete noob. How in the hell I have this many posts is beyond me.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #3,321 of 7,138
Okay one more question, these or hd800? Thehd 800 is €995 and the lcd would be ~€800 so tell me wich one would be beter to use for rock, prog, classical :)

I would say you have to own both:)

They are quite different - once upon a time I got rid of my HD800 in favor for the LCD-2 rev1.I listen to rock, blues, jazz, prog and some classical and I thought that HD800 didn't sound as musical as LCD-2. LCD-2:s midbass is better than HD800 which I think make them more forgiving on albums which isn't top notch produced.

But a few weeks ago I decided to re-buy HD800 to complement LCD-2.

Today I think that my rig in the past didn't make HD800 sound their best. Or maybe Sennheiser has done some adjusting to the sound in the later batches. I think HD800 sounds great to a lot of my albums and they hit quite hard in the bass area if the album has that kind of information. I sat and listened to Nirvanas albums Nevermind and In Utero and could hear the producers different sounds. And now I don't think HD800 are less musical than LCD-2, but the latter have a lot more intimate sound instead of HD800 which puts you farer away from the musicians. But H800 picks up layers in the music and album like Radioheds OK Computer sounds great. That said, HD800 sounds really boring with poorer produced albums. For example Led Zeppelins "numbered" albums sounds better with LCD-2.

There isn't just one headphone who rules them all:frowning2:

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #3,322 of 7,138
Quote:
Okay one more question, these or hd800? Thehd 800 is €995 and the lcd would be ~€800 so tell me wich one would be beter to use for rock, prog, classical
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends.. I've listened to both at a shop and spent a few hours going between them before making my descison. I originally wanted the HD800 and it has its pros like comfort, but it literally tore apart some of my favorite (but badly recorded) tracks. You like prog rock, I do as well but it's pretty much horribly compressed so it sounds great in loud environments.

The LCD lineup gives you resolution/detail without being analytical, and for me, that's what I wanted with uber high end cans. Something that enhances my music listening without becoming fatiguing.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #3,323 of 7,138
I loved the HD-800 when I had them. Loved the sound, loved the comfort.

But man oh man, they gave me a nasty wicked headache. I would get this really bad burning in my ear. I think it was the treble/highs (my ears are quite sensitive). To be fair, I also didn't have the right equipment to even power an HD-800. So I wonder if my ear discomfort was more to do with not having the proper sound equipment to power them, or my sensitivity to their sound signature.

I really did love the HD-800's though. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3,324 of 7,138
Quote:
Okay one more question, these or hd800? Thehd 800 is €995 and the lcd would be ~€800 so tell me wich one would be beter to use for rock, prog, classical
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends.im not a fan of lcd2 with classical tbh.i prefer my jh13 .it sounds much accurate to my ears.unless you want a lush euphoriac music experiance and not analyze violens , piano(which sound thick to me with the lcd2)..,then the lcd2 will be amazing imo.but tonally,my jh13 renders classical better.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,325 of 7,138
Quote:
Depends.im not a fan of lcd2 with classical tbh.i prefer my jh13 .it sounds much accurate to my ears.unless you want a lush euphoriac music experiance and not analyze violens , piano(which sound thick to me with the lcd2)..,then the lcd2 will be amazing imo.but tonally,my jh13 renders classical better.

Not to challlenge your opinion, which of course is just that, but I listen to classical on a Rev1 and find the sound very natural, not thick at all. This is in comparison to what I hear in the concert hall but certainly not from what I've heard from some other phones, which I find invariably brighter than real life. So I'm wondering if your opinion is formed from live concerts or other phones.  

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #3,326 of 7,138
Quote:

Not to challlenge your opinion, which of course is just that, but I listen to classical on a Rev1 and find the sound very natural, not thick at all. This is in comparison to what I hear in the concert hall but certainly not from what I've heard from some other phones, which I find invariably brighter than real life. So I'm wondering if your opinion is formed from live concerts or other phones.  

My opinion is based on live concerts which i attend regularly every month.I had one of my dreams fullfiled recently when i visited vienna and attended a concert in the Golden hall which was just incredible. And no i dont hear the lcd2 rendering instruments like  live performances and neither does the jh13 but its much closer and accurate.

But then,i dont analyze with the lcd2,i just enjoy what im listening to with it.its bass is addicting to me.and im a fan of its dark sig. just as i loved the hd650.
if i want to listen carefully to a new album,i'd pick my jh13.
That said,my lcd2 is not going anywhere,its permenant part of my collection.its just wonderful.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #3,327 of 7,138
Quote:

As a pianist myself I agree with you. The Audeze headphones provide the most natural timbre of any I have listened to by a significant margin. I always feel I am listening "live". So I am a little surprised by midoo1990s comments. That being said, listening to a full orchestra in a concert hall can be a radically different experience in different locations as they all have their own unique sound signature and acoustics. So this is to some extent, subjective. However, taking a piano in a studio environment, and listening to the same piano with the Audeze, is to me, a stunning reproduction of reality. The sound is thicker than say the HD800s, but it is correctly thicker....headphones like the HD800 in my personal opinion, make a piano sound thin and in some cases almost tinny. I haven't heard the JH13.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #3,328 of 7,138
^^i dont know,maybe its my wa6 which is a warm amp.i dont have another amp to try the lcd with but right now with my wa6,the jh13 is "more" accurate to what i hear in the halls.
im currently looking to upgrade my system with a new dac. my budget is 1-1.2k . any recommendations?

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #3,329 of 7,138
Quote:
^^i dont know,maybe its my wa6 which is a warm amp.i dont have another amp to try the lcd with but right now with my wa6,the jh13 is "more" accurate to what i hear in the halls.
im currently looking to upgrade my system with a new dac. my budget is 1-1.2k . any recommendations?

You know when we describe things as thick or thin sounding, it is often to do with the treble response rather than the frequencies concerned themselves. A sound that is bright, can give the perception of a thin sound at the mid and low parts of the spectrum. In lesser equipment, of course it can also be related to an uncontrolled bass or non-resolving mid-range. But we are all in high-end territory here so we can probably remove those factors to a certain extent. If I were to guess at why you hear the way you do with the Audeze vs the JH13, it would be related to your choice of amp. The Audeze headphones, in my opinion, are better matched to a neutral amplifier (perhaps more in the direction of transistor based than tube based, but there are a few wonderful neutral tube amps out there). The combination of a warm amp and headphones that intentionally roll off the upper mid/treble, is almost certainly the reason for your opinion. I will leave DAC recommendations to others as I have only tested the Audiolab MDAC, Lexicon RT-10 and Oppo BDP-95 (universal CD/DVD-A/SACD players). In your case though, I am wondering more about your further investment into amps than DACs....

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #3,330 of 7,138
Yes, it is amp dependent to a large extent. I'm not a believer in amps making a huge difference, but in the case of phones like the LCD-2 a slight shift of tonal balance can make all the difference (as no doubt they can in the opposite direction with phones like the HD800). You need something as light and bright as possible. Get that right and I think you'll find the LCD-2 can be just about as realistic as it's possible to get with headphones (as opposed to speakers), even if not as exciting and detailed as some others.

I'll be getting a Hiifiman HE500 soon (snapped off Ebay) and I'm interested in finding out how another top grade phone with a brighter signature sounds on classical. I don't expect that it will dethrone the LCD-2, which still manages to surprise me, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back