The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Dec 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #556 of 827
Quote:
Even just a day later, and things are already getting better.  Not sure if it's a product of letting the phones "burn in" a bit (though only for a total of around 12 hours so far), or different music selection, but the left channel is already ceasing to overwhelm the right, and crunchy guitars are starting to sound more correct/present.  I'm also starting to pick up previously unnoticed details some more (listened to all of The Fragile, left disc... beautiful).  I think these are keepers for sure -- just can't let my wife see me with 'em on my head. :D

OK, these phones are starting to drive me nuts.  Earlier this week, I listened to a couple of hours of music, and was very happy with what I heard.  The next day, I watched a Blu-Ray movie (Saving Private Ryan) and was highly impressed with sound quality/sound-stage/surround effect, but did notice that my old channel imbalance problem seemed to be creeping back (right was slightly, but noticeably, quieter than left).  Last night, I listened to a concert Blu-Ray (Tom Petty), and the soundstage seemed constricted and the perception of channel imbalance was very noticeable.  Finally, I played some Halo: Reach through them, and they sounded pretty much right again (but perhaps SLIGHTLY channel imbalanced).

I realize I've jumped quite a bit between sources here, both in terms of content and equipment.  I can easily believe that the particular concert I watched was just recorded in such a way that the soundstage feels closed-in.  What I have a harder time understanding is why the perception of a channel imbalance seems to come and go!  It seems least noticeable when playing 2-channel music directly from my CD player or from an A/V receiver.  Occasionally a bit noticeable when gaming with an XBox 360 thru an Astro MixAmp wireless.  Just short of bothersome when watching a movie (DTS-HD MA soundtrack) with my Blu-Ray player into the Astro MixAmp.  And downright annoying when watching a concert (also DTS-HD MA) with the same Blu-Ray player/MixAmp chain.

I did A/B between the AD700s and a cheapo pair of earbuds to see if the channel imbalance appeared to be caused by the source content or equipment, and it seemed that the channel imbalance went away with the earbuds (of course, sound quality was another matter).  I'm starting to wonder if I need to return the pair I have and get a replacement...

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #557 of 827
Make sure you have them positioned properly over your ears.  Each ear should be centered against each cup, otherwise, you may get a bit of imbalance, closed-in sound, and similar stuff.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #558 of 827
Thanks - I do try to position them carefully, and I've also made sure the pads are both rotated correctly (the seam is basically straight down, if that makes sense) to ensure the drivers are both similarly angled toward the ears.  I never have any complaints about the left side; I don't have to be at all careful when I put it on and it always just sounds correct.  With the right, there seems to be a "sweet spot" where at least the treble starts to approach what I hear in the left ear (but mids and below never seem to match up to the left).  And that sweet spot is elusive. 
I'm wondering if the shape of my ears and head are just not compatible with the AD700s... which would be sad, because there's a lot I like about them.  Starting to wonder if (should I be unable to work this out) I should even try another pair of AD700s, or go straight to another open circumaural phone (HD555/595 maybe)... :frowning2:

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #559 of 827
You can't exchange them or something?

Lastly, you can try bending the headband if the issue is you.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #560 of 827
Sorry for the fit issue, tlniec, I hope you get it resolved. I sometimes think they are going to fall downward, to my shoulders. They feel light for their size, it is just a subtle sensation.

I have to blame these headphones for my less time on this forum. I first joined to get more info and saw a lot of strong recommendations for the AD700. I can not imagine being 'much' happier with anything else.
Are they perfect? No...but it is not hard to find fault with anything. They are huge and kind of nerdy. (so am I, but not really huge) .but when I am listening nothing else really matters. There are cans with a little more of this or that...but the overall performance,  especially at the price-point, is a lock.
I am considering hooking them up with an LD +1 amp just for some experimentation and make them a little more versatile for different sources. I doubt I could dump that C note for the amp on other cans and enjoy them more.

I did build a little impedance matching I/O box for the headphone output of my Arcam receiver. That took care of any level concerns.
But I can plug them into my mp3 player too and get blown away.
Hard to beat in their class.. and even out of their class in some cases!

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #561 of 827
Thanks - I ended up returning them.  Since the AD700 was out-of-stock when I returned, I couldn't immediately get another pair (and I kind of wanted to try a similar, but different, headphone anyway).  So I replaced them with Sennheiser HD595s.  Happy so far, but I've made the mistake of continuing to lurk around the forums, so now I'm starting to ponder the HD6xx series...
eek.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #562 of 827
I have little experience with the lastest Senns....but I hear the 600 is quite awesome, but for twice the price of a 595?
Don't get buyer's remorse now, if you like how they sound and how they fit, enjoy the hell out of 'em!!!
From the reviews I've read the 600 is the A+.. the 595 the A

I'd be happy with an A!!

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #563 of 827
I've had my AD700's for almost 2 months now. I have to say that I love them. Bought for $90 on amazon. I've been primarily listening to contemporary classical, film scores, and electronic ambient. These just sound so great. I also bought a uDAC-2 to compliment them (although, looking back on it, I suppose I could have chosen something else since this is for my desktop - didn't have a DAC though). The DAC did improve clarity over the onboard sound from my PC. The sound really is amazing, the detail is far above average, the soundstage... didn't notice it at first, but lately I've really been able to hear it. Is this break-in, or my ears adjusting? I dunno - but I like it. The comfort is perfect.

I chose these headphones because I *needed* all day comfort. I can easily wear these with my big head with glasses for 6 hours or more. So glad I bought these. I'm no audiophile, but it's ridiculous how much having even a decent pair of headphones changes your outlook (and experience) listening to music.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #564 of 827

Quote:
... So glad I bought these. I'm no audiophile, but it's ridiculous how much having even a decent pair of headphones changes your outlook (and experience) listening to music.

This is SO true.  I originally joined head-fi to help figure out which phones would be most suitable to use for gaming with Dolby Headphone.  I bought (and enjoyed, but ultimately had to return) the AD700s, then bought and returned Sennheiser HD595s, and am now awaiting the arrival of a pair of Sennheiser HD650s.  Along the way, I decided to re-rip all my music to FLAC, start using Foobar as a player, etc, etc... I have to "blame" it on finally having nice headphones for a change... it's like I never realized my music could sound so good.  In spite of my original goal, I haven't gamed with headphones for WEEKS now! :p

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #565 of 827
You'll love that AD700 even more with a better DAC later on. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #566 of 827
I almost destroyed my ad700's this weekend.  I finally got tired of the purple grills so I decided to spray-paint them.  I accidentally stripped one of the screws holding the phones together and decided that I had to drill the screw out with a dremel.  Apparently, when I did this, I allowed the metal shards to fall past the driver which proceeded to get caught by the magnet rendering my driver inoperable.
eek.gif
  Luckily, I was able to fish out most of the metal pieces by very gently running a small magnetized screwdriver along the magnet, being careful not to puncture the plastic-y material of the driver.  I don't recommend ever doing this but I was pretty desperate at this point knowing I just ruined my phones.  They're not back to 100% of what they used to be but they're close (and metallic blue).  

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #567 of 827
Unfortunately, AD700 doesn't scale well with better equipment but that's expected from its pricing. It sounded pretty much the same out of an ipod against a uDAC-2. Avoid using realtek onboard sound though, even an ipod is noticeably better than that. Hopefully I didn't sound too much like a pessimist, I'm just trying to be realistic here expectation wise because there are far too many exaggerations on this forum as one may have already suspected.

Quote:
You'll love that AD700 even more with a better DAC later on. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #568 of 827

Quote:
Unfortunately, AD700 doesn't scale well with better equipment but that's expected from its pricing. It sounded pretty much the same out of an ipod against a uDAC-2. Avoid using realtek onboard sound though, even an ipod is noticeably better than that. Hopefully I didn't sound too much like a pessimist, I'm just trying to be realistic here expectation wise because there are far too many exaggerations on this forum as one may have already suspected.

I found that they scaled very nicely going from my ipod classic + E5 to ipod classic > Minibox-E+ then to my Compass amp/DAC then Compass DAC > M-Stage.  Every aspect of the sound improved, nothing drastic, and if a person finds them bass-light, they sure aren't out of the M-Stage with HA3-2525 opamps in place of the jellybean it comes with.  The M-Stage really brings out more of AD700 potential.

Plugging them into a Sony CDP-C35 was also a very nice upgrade, also made them a bit bassy.

My AD700 now makes another user very happy, I prefer A2000X by a very wide margin.  Awesome upgrade, by the way.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #569 of 827

Quote:
I almost destroyed my ad700's this weekend.  I finally got tired of the purple grills so I decided to spray-paint them.  

I'm thinking of using a black Sharpie on the purple grills so my AD700s can be jet black, at least that should be much safer than spraypainting them. Any thoughts?

Also it's been 10-30 F, moderately cold outside these days. I walk around with them on once in a while, can the cold weather damage these headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back