The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Nov 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #541 of 827
Yea that is why I am still considering, would the bass be better with personalized eq? I listen to various genres of music, not just bassy, and I have soundsticks II as well, getting a pair of headphones for midnight use as i would want to make too much noise in the night. Main purpose is still for gaming though, so I am just curious what makes it good for gaming, hmmm...

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #542 of 827
zs3889, I bought a pair for gaming and they are just phenomenal. Not just for gaming, but movies as well. I'm thinking of selling them, as I don't do too much gaming anymore, so shoot me a pm if you want to discuss the AD700s.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #544 of 827
You're using a previous equalizer setting on your new headphones?  The ad700's are a brighter headphone and if you had added highs on your EQ settings it would cause then highs to be overpowering.  I would set your EQ at flat and then slightly raise the lower end of the sound spectrum to add a little more presence to the bass.  

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #545 of 827

[size=small]Got the AD700s today. I've tried them with a few sources, both amped and unamped, and the one thing that's bothering me a bit is they can sound a bit crackly/distorted with louder sounds. It's almost like in lieu of bass, when there are a lot of loud noises and explosions, it crackles/distorts instead. With music, it can sound a bit tinny and metallic.  Keep in mind I'm coming from Denon 2000s, Grado 60s and RE0, so that might be why the sound of these is coming as such a shock. Might just be an issue of burn-in, or adjustment to the total lack of bass. I don't think anything's wrong with the headphones...Any thoughts?[/size]

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #546 of 827
Maybe something is wrong with your setup's configuration.  You shouldn't be getting a crackly/distorted character with loud sounds.  Tinny and metallic with music is normal.  They are certainly going to feel like they lack bass when compared to RE0.  I imagine D2k vs. AD700 as far as bass quantity should represent to opposite extremes, right?  lolz
Try getting used to it, but more importantly, double check your rig since you are getting a messed up sound with louder stuff.  If your rig is fine then try exchanging your headphones for a new pair if you can.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #548 of 827
Dec 13, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #549 of 827
I got these about a week ago for $92 shipped. For me they have a few problems.

1. The wide soundstage is very unforgiving of imbalanced hearing (not completely fixed by channel balance). The left seems to have this wide, deep soundstage, while the right always feels compressed and close. The AD700s highlight this personal problem much more than other phones.

2. My head must be too small, because the default setup is not comfortable. It wants to slip off. I need *some* clamping force! I ended up putting one of my girlfriend's elastic pony tail bands around the wings, which helps some, but they still never feel like they're on there very securely. In addition, I've noticed my right ear getting sore at about the two hour mark because the inside of the cups is close enough to my ear to touch it. Not sure why it's only my right because my ears look pretty much the same outwardly.

3. EQing the bass did not seem to produce a smooth effect, but...

4. I haven't found a good way to use the balance and tone controls on my Harman Kardon receiver at the same time as my headphone amp.

On the plus side I find the frequency response to overall be pretty natural (I tend to listen at relatively low volume) and the detail to be excellent. And the chassis does creak less than the Sony MDR-SA1000/SA5000. The lack of bass doesn't bother me with some material, and the soundstage would probably be great if it worked for me.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #550 of 827
I think Im going to give these a try.  A christmas or two ago, I got a pair of PC350s which I use to chit chat with my friends while we play MMOs but they suck.  I figured these with a clip on mic would be nice.  They are just going to be used to play MMOs and shooters and talking so thats about it.  I dont want to spend a whole lot of loot on headphones for that tho I do plan on getting DT880s and a couple of others for movies and music with an amped source.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #551 of 827
 I just received my AD700s last night, and listened to about 2 hours of music followed by around an hour of gaming on them. 
I'm going to give them some time, both to "burn in" and to get myself used to listening through full-size headphones.  But I haven't yet quite experienced the awe I was sort of expecting to from the AD700s.  My impressions so far are:
1. I was pleasantly surprised that the bass didn't seem at all lacking (given it's usually called this phone's Achilles heel); it sounded appropriate to me. 
2. Some have mentioned the mids can be somewhat recessed, and I think I have to agree with this.  Distorted guitars sometimes seem to lose a bit of definition and presence, for example.  Yet, vocals are generally very good and sound more detailed than I'm used to hearing.
3. Highs were WONDERFUL; I've never heard cymbals sound this good.
4. Detail is better than I'm used to - based on limited listening, I have already picked up a few subtleties I'd never heard before in familiar songs.  Hoping to hear some "wow" moments as I listen to them more.
5. Regarding soundstage, they definitely give a 'speakers in the room' versus an 'inside your head' vibe.  Separation is good, and it was nice to be able to track some instruments separately that I couldn't before.  But...

Quote:
I got these about a week ago for $92 shipped. For me they have a few problems.

1. The wide soundstage is very unforgiving of imbalanced hearing (not completely fixed by channel balance). The left seems to have this wide, deep soundstage, while the right always feels compressed and close. The AD700s highlight this personal problem much more than other phones.

It's odd, but I'm noticing the exact same thing.  I beleive I have somewhat imbalanced hearing... in the past, I used to compensate for it with channel balance (turn up the right channel), but for the last several years I've tended to leave channel balance neutral instead.  When I listen to speakers, I can get a good, solid centering (probably subconsciously turn my head slightly).  On these phones, I'm noticing that things that should be centered are sounding slightly left of center instead.  And that the left channel seems to exhibit noticeably better separation and depth than the right.

Hopefully this is exacerbated by the (so far very limited) selection of music I've played through them, plus my inexperience with listening through full-size headphones.  Fingers crossed that with a little time, the AD700s and I will grow even closer.  Even now, I'm certainly not disappointed by them (especially for the price).

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #552 of 827
Quote:
 It's odd, but I'm noticing the exact same thing.  I beleive I have somewhat imbalanced hearing... in the past, I used to compensate for it with channel balance (turn up the right channel), but for the last several years I've tended to leave channel balance neutral instead.  When I listen to speakers, I can get a good, solid centering (probably subconsciously turn my head slightly).  On these phones, I'm noticing that things that should be centered are sounding slightly left of center instead.  And that the left channel seems to exhibit noticeably better separation and depth than the right.

Hopefully this is exacerbated by the (so far very limited) selection of music I've played through them, plus my inexperience with listening through full-size headphones.  Fingers crossed that with a little time, the AD700s and I will grow even closer.  Even now, I'm certainly not disappointed by them (especially for the price).

So I'm not crazy, this can actually happen to other people! I'm wondering if some of it may be a bit psychological. I use the telephone with my right, I was a phone rep for a while and used a right side headset, etc. I've started to try to "train" my right ear. I'm collecting a few tracks with good wide separation and trying to concentrate on "seeing" the right channel sounds spread out in front of me widely to my right -- or sort of "pushing" the sound out there. Track three on Radiohead's OK Computer -- "Subterranean Homesick Alien" -- is an example of a track that really bothers me, and therefore is a good candidate with the AD700s. I feel I've had a little bit of success so far in "psychologically widening" the soundstage.

I too don't notice this near as much with speakers when I'm in the sweet spot. Something about the reflected vs. direct sound and the channel crosstalk probably.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #553 of 827
Even just a day later, and things are already getting better.  Not sure if it's a product of letting the phones "burn in" a bit (though only for a total of around 12 hours so far), or different music selection, but the left channel is already ceasing to overwhelm the right, and crunchy guitars are starting to sound more correct/present.  I'm also starting to pick up previously unnoticed details some more (listened to all of The Fragile, left disc... beautiful).  I think these are keepers for sure -- just can't let my wife see me with 'em on my head. :D

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #554 of 827
Why, lol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back