The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #571 of 827

Quote:
I'm thinking of using a black Sharpie on the purple grills so my AD700s can be jet black, at least that should be much safer than spraypainting them. Any thoughts?

Also it's been 10-30 F, moderately cold outside these days. I walk around with them on once in a while, can the cold weather damage these headphones?

I wouldn't recommend taking a sharpie to them.  Its not hard to spray paint them and its perfectly safe - as long as you remove the grills first
wink.gif
You just have to take out 4 screws on each side to remove them. 

I painted mine black, and they look much better IMO.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #572 of 827
Had mine for about 7 months now
Dont listen to them much as i prefer the akg,s, but they have a huge soundstage and
sound a lot better when amped, good for the money though
They seem to sound great with 60,s bob dylan material.
                                                                             paddy

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #573 of 827

Quote:

Quote:
I'm thinking of using a black Sharpie on the purple grills so my AD700s can be jet black, at least that should be much safer than spraypainting them. Any thoughts?

Also it's been 10-30 F, moderately cold outside these days. I walk around with them on once in a while, can the cold weather damage these headphones?

I wouldn't recommend taking a sharpie to them.  Its not hard to spray paint them and its perfectly safe - as long as you remove the grills first
wink.gif

Just wanted to say I've shown your AD700s to so many people, they are beautiful.

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #574 of 827
I think spray-paint is probably the best option, but I'd recommend finishing with a few coats of clear coat.  Sharpie prolly won't hurt anything, but I doubt it would actually stick or look good.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #575 of 827
Feb 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #576 of 827

Quote:

Quote:

wink.gif

I see you removed the foams as well. Does it make a difference in sound?

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #577 of 827
Removing the foam brings out the mids a bit and slightly expands the soundstage, but also makes the treble painfully peaky.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #578 of 827
Can anyone compare the ATH AD700/AD900 to the AKG 601's?

On paper they sound similar (large soundstage, not much bass mid detail)

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #580 of 827

Quote:
Can anyone compare the ATH AD700/AD900 to the AKG 601's?

On paper they sound similar (large soundstage, not much bass mid detail)

I imagine K601 may sound more plasticky like K701 as I've been told, but I wouldn't know.  One guy said 601 has a nasty peak in the treble:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/166212/i-bet-you-didn-t-expect-headroom-s-k701-graph-to-look-like-this/15#post_1965358
And the following post:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/166212/i-bet-you-didn-t-expect-headroom-s-k701-graph-to-look-like-this/15#post_1965364
You'd probably have to ask a 601 user or two to confirm.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #581 of 827

Quote:
I see you removed the foams as well. Does it make a difference in sound?

Removing the foam by itself will make you lose a little low end and make the highs more metallic, but I also dynamatted the drivers and stuffed them with holofil to counteract that. 

That mod increases the bass a little.  There is a little more body/weight/impact to the low end. The highs are slightly less siblant, which is what I wanted. Still great detail though, just a less fatiguing signature for me.  Makes them more pleasing to my ears, they sound sort of like AD900s.  Minus the weaker bass, I actually preferred the stock AD700's to the AD900's to begin with, but this mod makes them even better IMO.

I wouldn't recommend removing the foam by itself though for the reasons mentioned above.

The mod for that can be found in these links:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/448567/ath-ad700-ad900-mods
http://www.overclock.net/other-hardware-mods/812492-project-ath-ad700-modding-guide.html

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #582 of 827
just got a pair of these and i LOVE THEM. the whole no bass complaints? hmmmmmmm. they seem to have pretty good bass IMO. if you're thinking about buying them but are worried about the lack of bass, it really is not as bad as people make it out to be. BUY THEM. you will love them.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #583 of 827
Quote:
just got a pair of these and i LOVE THEM. the whole no bass complaints? hmmmmmmm. they seem to have pretty good bass IMO. if you're thinking about buying them but are worried about the lack of bass, it really is not as bad as people make it out to be. BUY THEM. you will love them.

It's all relative. If I went from ibuds to AD700 I would say they have good bass but if I came from DT770 600 ohm, not a chance.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #584 of 827
Good quality, but not quantity.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #585 of 827
sure but the bass is there, its most certainly not missing, all the way down to 20hz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back