The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #8,836 of 9,131
Since it seems that I'm Battery Failure #1 in this thread, here is the lowdown. iRiver/Astell&Kern got back to me. Jimmy Moon is no longer with the company so the reply was just from Technical Support. I'm going to just paste part of the email, rather than try to reword it. Just for clarity, the back panel is not damaged (the edge popped in, once it cooled) so, their offer won't be needed. One huge concern is, whatever else might have died, because of the battery failure(?), might be my responsibility. Here is the excerpt:

Mr. Jimmy Moon is no longer with IRIVER/Astell&Kern, however, please rest assured, we are certainly here to support your technical services need.

Based on your description, it is a severe situation, as we would need to proceed with immediate replacement for the aging AK240 Battery, and damaged back penal.

The estimated service fee is $90.00 to complete the battery replacement service and $80.00 for the back penal. However, since the damage of the penal was due to defective battery, we will offer complimentary back penal replacement service.

Please note: the estimated figure on battery service is not final; as it was determined based user’s feedback. Depending on the overall services that are necessary once the DAP has been fully serviced, such as internal hardware, electrical wiring, and etc… the customer is responsible for the final amount that might be different from the original quote. As the final amount will reflect the actual repairment that is essential for a functional unit.

I guess as a final note, I hope my failure is unique and doesn't represent the normal passing of the battery. I'll update as the repair process, progresses.

Seems expensive to swap the battery. My 6 year old MacBook Air needs a new battery and the going price is $60, and it has a battery significantly larger. I also don’t like this idea that they can charge you more. Since they acknowledge it to be a defective battery, and offering a comp on the back panel because of this, seems they should have said they will contact you first with a quote once they open your 240 up—they’re wording is not very customer friendly.

I would definitely get them to give you a quote on the repair first; if they’re going to charge $90 for a battery, if there is internal damage, who knows how expensive the repair will be, and you should know in advance to assess whether it’s worth it.

Makes me think about selling my SS while it is in perfect condition ...

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #8,837 of 9,131
Most DAPs don't have (user) replaceable batteries. Apple charges a hefty sum for changing an iPhone battery, so that cost doesn't seem out of line, as who knows what kind of battery it is and how hard it is to get in there to do it (is it soldered in etc?). I think there was a bit of a language issue as well, but it does make sense to ask for an estimate after the unit is opened before other repairs are made. Or put a maximum cost to repairs you are willing to pay. Though the device cost $2400 so a repair in the low hundreds would seem well within the bounds of reasonable.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #8,838 of 9,131
Seems expensive to swap the battery. My 6 year old MacBook Air needs a new battery and the going price is $60, and it has a battery significantly larger. I also don’t like this idea that they can charge you more. Since they acknowledge it to be a defective battery, and offering a comp on the back panel because of this, seems they should have said they will contact you first with a quote once they open your 240 up—they’re wording is not very customer friendly.

I would definitely get them to give you a quote on the repair first; if they’re going to charge $90 for a battery, if there is internal damage, who knows how expensive the repair will be, and you should know in advance to assess whether it’s worth it.

I didn't include the part of the email where the final cost will need my approval, before work is started. No Carte Blanche on my watch. As for the cost of the battery, the old axiom "What the market will bear" applies, IMO. The thing that disturbed me was, $80 for a Carbon Fibre and plastic plate. God only knows, what an important component would cost, if it needs to be replaced. Hopefully all my concerns, will be for naught and 90 bucks will be the tab.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #8,839 of 9,131
Most DAPs don't have (user) replaceable batteries. Apple charges a hefty sum for changing an iPhone battery, so that cost doesn't seem out of line, as who knows what kind of battery it is and how hard it is to get in there to do it (is it soldered in etc?). I think there was a bit of a language issue as well, but it does make sense to ask for an estimate after the unit is opened before other repairs are made. Or put a maximum cost to repairs you are willing to pay. Though the device cost $2400 so a repair in the low hundreds would seem well within the bounds of reasonable.

Perhaps I jumped the gun on $90 for a battery; I assumed it was attached via connectors, nor solder, but who knows, maybe you’re right. I have a $3,000 dap, so I guess I would pay $90 for a new one, but that battery can’t be very big.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #8,840 of 9,131
I didn't include the part of the email where the final cost will need my approval, before work is started. No Carte Blanche on my watch. As for the cost of the battery, the old axiom "What the market will bear" applies, IMO. The thing that disturb me was, $80 for a Carbon Fibre and plastic plate. God only knows, what an important component would cost, if it needs to be replaced. Hopefully all my concerns, will be for naught and 90 bucks will be the tab.

I wish you the best as well as a speedy return.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #8,842 of 9,131
Thanks, no fun being the guinea pig.

I've got a question for anybody who's more knowledgable than I. I was about to get my 240 ready to ship and noticed something concerning in the RMA form. iRiver/AK requires credit card info be supplied with the RMA form and they further state, the repair will be put on hold, if the CC isn't provided. I've done RMA repairs with other companies but was never asked for CC info upfront. Is this a normal procedure, sometimes?

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #8,844 of 9,131
My Movado watch is in for repairs and they wanted a credit card # on the shipping form. Sounds reasonable to me.

Lawyers and whores (sex workers) like cash, or so I've been told.

Aug 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #8,845 of 9,131
...Lawyers and whores (sex workers) like cash, or so I've been told.

True....but that was in the past = Old School :
sosw01.jpg

Now:
xp7pg1.jpg

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #8,846 of 9,131
guys, i've got an issue with my ak240. It gets stuck at the boot-up animation forever when I try to turn it on. Reminds me of boot-loop for android phones. Any idea how to resolve this? Thanks :)
i'm a Boot loop victim, my V10 gave way. I replaced the battery, the new battery drained itself to destruction. It was a mother board issue. About USD 67 + Labour for removal & install new board. I still have to allocate budget & time for this exercise. You should let an AK technician look at it...

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #8,847 of 9,131

My SP1000 is with AK now and I don't know what the cost to repair is going to be; they estimate it to be around $100-150 but they said they would let me know before charging my ccard. The issue was that the unit wasn't sending out a digital signal to an external DAC. Let's see what happens.

CJ

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #8,848 of 9,131
My SP1000 is with AK now and I don't know what the cost to repair is going to be; they estimate it to be around $100-150 but they said they would let me know before charging my ccard. The issue was that the unit wasn't sending out a digital signal to an external DAC. Let's see what happens.

CJ
Not under warranty?!

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #8,849 of 9,131
No, bought it second hand. Small print: AK doesn't do repairs for Ebay-purchased items.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #8,850 of 9,131
No, bought it second hand. Small print: AK doesn't do repairs for Ebay-purchased items.

Let us know how things turn out.

Right now, I’m listening to my Utopias driven by my 240SS, and it really sounds great.

I like the 240 series aesthetically because of its sculptured metal design with its sharp angles. I also like the smaller size ... just like with my iPhone SE, I’ve never found the larger screen sizes enticing. As such, the newer designs haven’t appealed to me as much, although there likely is a performance upgrade due to the newer DACs employed. Still, the 240/240SS will forever be a hallmark design, and a noted entry in the history of high performance DAPs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back