The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #8,162 of 9,131
I've got 3 kids and my wife has gone back to school. I'm considering the new A&K models as much as I'm considering the new Bentley models. Sure, I'd love to have one, but the chances are minimal for the forseeable future 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #8,163 of 9,131
  I've got 3 kids and my wife has gone back to school. I'm considering the new A&K models as much as I'm considering the new Bentley models. Sure, I'd love to have one, but the chances are minimal for the forseeable future 
biggrin.gif

Funny you mention Bentley, tonight after I win the lottery I am getting a Continental GT, its my dream car.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8,164 of 9,131

Funny you mention Bentley, tonight after I win the lottery I am getting a Continental GT, its my dream car.

The guy who owns the company I work for has one of those. A thing of beauty and elegance that just happens to be able to whisk you along the road at 300 km/h. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #8,165 of 9,131

I know I will be doing that, but then I have to keep asking myself, will it be twice as good. Most likely the price would be double of the $550 I paid for my 100II, on the used market of course.

Not 2x good, and I think it will be a while before it hit the $1k mark on the used market.

biggrin.gif

Then we should start a campaign to have iriver make a 24k carrot gold model, then you can tell your wife you are hedging your investments by buying gold :).

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #8,167 of 9,131
  Not 2x good, and I think it will be a while before it hit the $1k mark on the used market.

Then we should start a campaign to have iriver make a 24k carrot gold model, then you can tell your wife you are hedging your investments by buying gold :).

Yeah $1k will be a while I agree. There was a smokin combo deal that sold quickly. A 320, mojo, sys cable for $1600.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #8,168 of 9,131
I have owned the astell and kern ak120ii for about 2 months now, and I BITTERLY regret not returning it. I have encountered all the problems Jedaite listed. It is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS that i cannot move files, or rename them. The device simply becomes unresponsive.

Shotgunshane, saying this is a limitation of the android file transfer system is not a valid reason for this INCOMPETENCE of design. Astell and Kern decided to use the android system, so they decided to use a system that doesn't work. I get annoyed with the PIECE of CR@P ASTELL AND KERN product every single day. It is just staggering that IRIVER could release a product to the market, that doesn't let you move files about on it, or rename folders. It was dishonest of them to release a buggy product to the market - and what's worse, the AK120 ii is just that - Mark 2!!! they could have addressed the issues, but no - GREEDY ASTELL AND KERN just decided to release a POORLY DESIGNED PRODUCT TO THE MARKET.

ASTELL AND KERN = dishonest company

I am in the process of designing a web page to warn people of the DISASTER THAT ARE ASTELL AND KERN PRODUCTS. Initially I thought that the issues were confined to the AK120 ii, but upon perusing these forums, then using an AK240, i have discovered that Iriver are just casually releasing buggy products.

People thinking of paying huge sums of money for these items need to be warned.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #8,169 of 9,131
  I have owned the astell and kern ak120ii for about 2 months now, and I BITTERLY regret not returning it. I have encountered all the problems Jedaite listed. It is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS that i cannot move files, or rename them. The device simply becomes unresponsive.

Shotgunshane, saying this is a limitation of the android file transfer system is not a valid reason for this INCOMPETENCE of design. Astell and Kern decided to use the android system, so they decided to use a system that doesn't work. I get annoyed with the PIECE of CR@P ASTELL AND KERN product every single day. It is just staggering that IRIVER could release a product to the market, that doesn't let you move files about on it, or rename folders. It was dishonest of them to release a buggy product to the market - and what's worse, the AK120 ii is just that - Mark 2!!! they could have addressed the issues, but no - GREEDY ASTELL AND KERN just decided to release a POORLY DESIGNED PRODUCT TO THE MARKET.

I am in the process of designing a web page to warn people of the DISASTER THAT ARE ASTELL AND KERN PRODUCTS. Initially I thought that the issues were confined to the AK120 ii, but upon perusing these forums, then using an AK240, i have discovered that Iriver are just casually releasing buggy products.

Can you move and rename files on a iDevice?  What DAPs actually allow these functions?

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #8,170 of 9,131

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a PC, moving and renaming files on the AK120II and AK240 without a single issue. Works perfectly fine in Windows... You know what? The more I think about it, the more it seems like the issue is with OSX's lack of support for the MTP standard. Whoa, I just noticed that this fact has been discussed a zillion times on the AK240 and AK120II threads and in just about every review of the players. 

But please, go ahead, design a web page exposing these horrible truths and let us all tremble as your mighty exposé chrushes the dishonest company of iRiver.
Be sure to post a link, I'm waiting. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #8,171 of 9,131

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a PC, moving and renaming files on the AK120II and AK240 without a single issue. Works perfectly fine in Windows... You know what? The more I think about it, the more it seems like the issue is with OSX's lack of support for the MTP standard. Whoa, I just noticed that this fact has been discussed a zillion times on the AK240 and AK120II threads and in just about every review of the players. 

But please, go ahead, design a web page exposing these horrible truths and let us all tremble as your mighty exposé chrushes the dishonest company of iRiver.
popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #8,172 of 9,131

Here's a thread that's a good place to vent.     http://www.head-fi.org/t/769832/companies-that-take-advantage-of-audio-enthusiasts

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #8,173 of 9,131

popcorn.gif

I load my AK240 with a Mac.  I plug it in, a window pops up.  I drag and drop.  

I can even drag files OFF of the AK240.  Try doing that with an iPod... You can't (without aftermarket software).

Is it the best solution? No.  Does it work?  Good enough for me.  

I just want the sound quality.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #8,174 of 9,131
Any of you guys driving open-backed full sized cans straight from the AK240? Been thinking of getting a set to compliment my (C)IEMs, but I don't want to fall back down into the rabbit hole of amping and stacking - not to mention building a desktop rig that'll never see any use. I'm looking at the Philips Fidelio X2 as a cheap way to get my open-backed fix and they should be very easy to drive. But then there's the HD700... I could probably stretch my budget to a used set of those if I wait a little, but I wonder if the AK240 will be able to drive them properly on its own.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #8,175 of 9,131
I have no problems on Windows renaming files. Moving files is slow for some reason and I have learned that it's faster to delete and re copy.

All in all I am pretty satisfied with my AK240, but luckily for me I detest Macs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back