The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 4, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #8,131 of 9,131
There was a brand new firmware version 1.29 that came out around the end of December.

It was a bunch of minor bug fixes and added support for the AK RM01 remote controller.

Thank you... I've been searching around I'm I'm wondering does purchasing a cable (silver dragon IEM) really emprove the sound of your headphone. Can someone who've actually purchased 3rd party calves confirm is this actually works???

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #8,132 of 9,131
Thank you... I've been searching around I'm I'm wondering does purchasing a cable (silver dragon IEM) really emprove the sound of your headphone. Can someone who've actually purchased 3rd party calves confirm is this actually works???

A question like that would cause a heated debate, so the best thing to do is to try it yourself until you're convinced one way or another.
Just go to a good local Hi-Fi shop and ask to try some of their cables.

Some people buy cables that cost more than the price of the earphones themselves, while others think they would rather spend the money on something else. My personal opinion is that there is no such thing as a "good" cable, but there are many "bad" ones. 
blink.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #8,133 of 9,131

A question like that would cause a heated debate, so the best thing to do is to try it yourself until you're convinced one way or another.
Just go to a good local Hi-Fi shop and ask to try some of their cables.

Some people buy cables that cost more than the price of the earphones themselves, while others think they would rather spend the money on something else. My personal opinion is that there is no such thing as a "good" cable, but there are many "bad" ones. 
blink.gif

i kinda agree on this...
sonic / sound change may be have or not. depends on the user.
But personally i buy alot of "upgrade" cables - for sound purposes? No, i am more on aesthetics.
But copper / silver have it's own sound signature but wont totally make a huge difference

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #8,134 of 9,131
Thanks a lot, I think I'll save my 200 bucks for something else lol

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #8,136 of 9,131
That hasn't been updated yet and I'm not sure if it will. Also, the EQ settings appear different on my AK240SS .. In reviews the EQ could be set just by drawing what you want horizontally but on mine it's vertical. Is this the case for everyone else? Was it changed in 1.29 firmware.

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #8,137 of 9,131
That hasn't been updated yet and I'm not sure if it will. Also, the EQ settings appear different on my AK240SS .. In reviews the EQ could be set just by drawing what you want horizontally but on mine it's vertical. Is this the case for everyone else? Was it changed in 1.29 firmware.

When the firmware changed the UI to look like the 380, a functionality added to the 240/SS was the 20 band EQ with the bands oriented in a vertical fashion.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #8,138 of 9,131
Hi all

Have recently got my Astell & Kern updated by Vinne at Red Wine Audio. 

Am looking to upgrade the balanced cable on my Layla headphone

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would provide the best sound quality also do any offer the bass and treble adaptor

Many thanks

PS do some connectors sit more tightly within the 2.5 port as I found that pushing it slightly against the edge gives the bass a kick / gives more dynamic sound

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #8,139 of 9,131
  Hi all

Have recently got my Astell & Kern updated by Vinne at Red Wine Audio. 

Am looking to upgrade the balanced cable on my Layla headphone

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what would provide the best sound quality also do any offer the bass and treble adaptor

Many thanks

PS do some connectors sit more tightly within the 2.5 port as I found that pushing it slightly against the edge gives the bass a kick / gives more dynamic sound

I really cant say I have heard a difference going to balanced over the stock cable of the K10. Its SPC also. But other people say they do hear a difference in cables, so YMMV. If you want speed and great prices, hit up Ted.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #8,143 of 9,131

I really cant say I have heard a difference going to balanced over the stock cable of the K10. Its SPC also. But other people say they do hear a difference in cables, so YMMV. If you want speed and great prices, hit up Ted.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread

But please don't hit him too hard. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #8,144 of 9,131
Hello everyone, where can I get a tempered glass or full body protection for the AK240? Been searching but haven't come up with anything.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #8,145 of 9,131
Hello everyone, where can I get a tempered glass or full body protection for the AK240? Been searching but haven't come up with anything.

None existed official or 3rd party.  I tried to get AK to release a version of glass protection, and they did some experiment but no news yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back