The Astell & Kern AK240
Nov 12, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #7,921 of 9,131
Ver 1.28
  1. Adds 20 band EQ, with horizontal sliders
  2. Adds CD ripper support
  3. Adds Cue Sheet support
  4. Improved system stability

Quick soundcheck doesn't seem like anything changed in terms of SQ, but will listen more. Given the short turn around from 1.25, I think this update is purely bug fixing and support for the ripper. The 20 band EQ came out of nowhere though.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #7,922 of 9,131
Its sq sucks too much in overall only with fitear 334 with custom cable i like it
It fails in competition with ak47 ak240, rwak240, ak junior and ak120 II with Fitear334 1/2nd revision custom/original cable, unique melody Mason, noble k10 custom/original cable
Anyway u should upgrade it to any mod cause all ak series do less than it give

U always should listen before buy. If u dont care about Exterior there a lot of portable things play much better.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #7,923 of 9,131
Anyway, back to the topic.....

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #7,924 of 9,131
Hi,

I just updated to 1.28 and I am having some issues.
Whenever I am playing a track (even if I set the volume to 0) there is some background noise on the left channel.
I tried rebooting ofc, and also using the player completely unplugged from anything else other than the earphones. The annoying noise is still there (and, ofc, now that I know it's there, it seems to be the main element on playback. Thanks brain)
Has anyone else had similar issue?

thanks

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #7,925 of 9,131
Hi,

I just updated to 1.28 and I am having some issues.
Whenever I am playing a track (even if I set the volume to 0) there is some background noise on the left channel.
I tried rebooting ofc, and also using the player completely unplugged from anything else other than the earphones. The annoying noise is still there (and, ofc, now that I know it's there, it seems to be the main element on playback. Thanks brain)
Has anyone else had similar issue?

thanks

Nope not at all

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #7,926 of 9,131
ok, thanks for the feedback

I must say I am overall quite disappointed with A&K and my AK240. Sure, every device in the market is susceptible to bugs/problems. I am a software developer, so I know all about bugs going out the door undetected, only to have a customer call us saying something is wrong. Still, at 2500€, this kind of issues should not happen.

I have frequent playback interruptions if I don't restart the player every 24h or so. I already sent it to RMA once, and I suspect nothing was actually fixed, because it was around the time v1.25 was released, so I just got it back with the new firmware. The problem itself is still there. Now there's this noise....

I will test it again later tonight after work, see if a factory reset does anything (I suspect it won't). Anyway, this will be my first and last A&K product. This is the kind of issue I would expect from a 50€ white label player you buy in the around the corner store. At this very high price, there should be no issues whatsoever.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #7,927 of 9,131
I like the 20 band EQ, don't care about the CD ripper support since I read it cannot be used to play CDs, just rip them. My 240SS is working flawlessly, so I'm going to wait for more impressions before I update.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #7,928 of 9,131
Can someone who has updated post a screen shot of the new EQ? Much appreciated ...

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #7,929 of 9,131
So after a factory reset and some more experimentation, I found out that the issue happens only when the wifi is enabled and connected. It's quite noticeable if you connect to a wifi network, start playback, set volume to 0 and then open the qobuz app. Can anyone try to reproduce this problem, just so I know if it's worth sending it back for repair?

Thanks

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #7,931 of 9,131
Thank you!

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #7,932 of 9,131
More on 1.28

I listened for about 2 hours and SQ seems same to me as 1.25. Don't really notice any other difference but there is two things that got fixed for me.

1) If I shut down with a track that is on the SD card paused, I would see a "can't be found error" error that eventually goes away. With 1.28 no more error message.
2) When powering up, I would randomly get an auto playing of whatever track was paused during shutdown. I have not come across this on 1.28.

Neither of the 2 were major issues, but glad to see a commitment to fix even minor issues. Have to wonder if they would have released this if they didn't release the CD ripper.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #7,934 of 9,131
  More on 1.28

I listened for about 2 hours and SQ seems same to me as 1.25. Don't really notice any other difference but there is two things that got fixed for me.

1) If I shut down with a track that is on the SD card paused, I would see a "can't be found error" error that eventually goes away. With 1.28 no more error message.
2) When powering up, I would randomly get an auto playing of whatever track was paused during shutdown. I have not come across this on 1.28.

Neither of the 2 were major issues, but glad to see a commitment to fix even minor issues. Have to wonder if they would have released this if they didn't release the CD ripper.

Nice comments. I'm waiting to upgrade until I know there are no new bugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back