The Astell & Kern AK240
Nov 13, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #7,936 of 9,131
My only concern a the eq
As much as I like more settingS it's still only 5 dB 10 os needed
IEMS and cIEMS require more eq to be effective

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #7,937 of 9,131
1) Can the AK T5P EQ be used on headphones other than the AK T5P? Not if it sounds good. But will it output the EQ if it's not an AK T5P plugged in.
2) just updated the last firmware and can't tell much sonic difference with the Pro EQ on and off. Something I am doing wrong? Is the sound with the Pro EQ On and not on very different?

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #7,938 of 9,131
I feel the same its slight difreremce always was. And with IEMS it's a real bummer
Others please way in. And this is not just for ak daps. I have owned a few and 6 DB is not enough

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #7,939 of 9,131
I feel the same its slight difreremce always was. And with IEMS it's a real bummer
Others please way in. And this is not just for ak daps. I have owned a few and 6 DB is not enough

Personally, I try to stay under 3 dB because I believe more than that means I got the wrong IEM for my tastes.

However, the EQ range is 10 dB from +5 to -5. To avoid clipping, it's always advisable to center your baseline to 50% of the highest and lowest adjustment. For example, if I just want a +3 dB boost at 64 hertz, I add +1.5 dB to 64 and lower everything else by -1.5 dB.

Forgot to mention - I'm pretty sure AK drops everything by about 4 dB once you enable EQ to guard against clipping so you can probably go all the way to +5 without fear of clipping, but if you need more just lower the other frequencies more.

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #7,940 of 9,131
1) Can the AK T5P EQ be used on headphones other than the AK T5P? Not if it sounds good. But will it output the EQ if it's not an AK T5P plugged in.

Yes, this EQ setting can be used with any headphone.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #7,941 of 9,131
Does anyone else notice that the PRO EQ changes very little of the sound? I noticed that when I turned them off and on. Sometimes I can't even tell if there is a difference

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #7,942 of 9,131
Does anyone else notice that the PRO EQ changes very little of the sound? I noticed that when I turned them off and on. Sometimes I can't even tell if there is a difference

The PRO setting, unlike a created setting which lowers the output by 4-5dB, has the same output as if the EQ is turned off. This may partially explain your observation. I find I do notice a subtle difference with PRO engaged, but generally, I rarely use the EQ.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #7,943 of 9,131

The PRO setting, unlike a created setting which lowers the output by 4-5dB, has the same output as if the EQ is turned off. This may partially explain your observation. I find I do notice a subtle difference with PRO engaged, but generally, I rarely use the EQ.

Thank you for your feedback, and I see that you have an AKT5p, have you tried it against a normal T5p? Do they sound different? 

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #7,944 of 9,131
  Thank you for your feedback, and I see that you have an AKT5p, have you tried it against a normal T5p? Do they sound different? 

No, never heard the Beyer version. Purportedly, the AK version sounds smoother in the upper frequencies.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #7,948 of 9,131
I finally got an ak240, but there is a loud hiss that begins as soon as I press play with any music track, using my JHA Angies. Does anyone else have this problem? It's totally silent until I start playing music.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #7,949 of 9,131
I finally got an ak240, but there is a loud hiss that begins as soon as I press play with any music track, using my JHA Angies. Does anyone else have this problem? It's totally silent until I start playing music.

That's not normal. There's been a lot of criticism about the AK240, but IEM noise is not one them. I would take that back to the store or contact AK support for warranty repair. Everything I've had from SE846 through T5P have been silent unless the track itself has noise.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #7,950 of 9,131

That's not normal. There's been a lot of criticism about the AK240, but IEM noise is not one them. I would take that back to the store or contact AK support for warranty repair. Everything I've had from SE846 through T5P have been silent unless the track itself has noise.

same here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back