The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #7,442 of 9,131
Far too many "issues" for a product at this price point. I sent my AK240SS back ages ago

Other than the cable sensitivity issue I have had no issues with my AK.  To what issues are you referring?

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #7,443 of 9,131
The 2.5mm TRRS jack cutting in and out when moved,computers not recognizing the device, short battery life, firmware changing sound, etc.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #7,444 of 9,131
I sent mine back...just don't think it's worth $3,000

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #7,445 of 9,131
Other than the cable sensitivity issue I have had no issues with my AK.  To what issues are you referring?

Other than my $2500 DAP being completely flawed it's great. How could you possibly complain?

...really? How are people okay with anything less than perfection at the price point?

A&K product quality is horrid. For the money it's embarrassing. Makes the Sony zx2 look like a bargain because it at least works without issue.

I don't get the enthusiasm. I have a flawed ak240 and a functional ak240ss and they are an embarrassment to my intelligence. Terrible battery life. Horrible balanced output. UI from the 1980s. Can't think of a single upside.

Edit: It's not fair to say I can't think of a single upside; the sound quality is good when everything is working.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #7,446 of 9,131
My AK240 has rather good battery life.  It's never fallen below 80% charge after a couple hours of use.  Not sure what is horrid about the balance output.  Are you referring to the 2.5 mm socket?  Granted its a nutty design, but "horrid" seems a little over the top.  Meanwhile the 3.5 mm stereo out sounds very good to my ears.  

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #7,447 of 9,131

Other than my $2500 DAP being completely flawed it's great. How could you possibly complain?

...really? How are people okay with anything less than perfection at the price point?

A&K product quality is horrid. For the money it's embarrassing. Makes the Sony zx2 look like a bargain because it at least works without issue.

I don't get the enthusiasm. I have a flawed ak240 and a functional ak240ss and they are an embarrassment to my intelligence. Terrible battery life. Horrible balanced output. UI from the 1980s. Can't think of a single upside.

Here's a thread for you......http://www.head-fi.org/t/769832/companies-that-take-advantage-of-audio-enthusiasts

More people here like the AK240 than not.

Jun 28, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #7,449 of 9,131
Regarding battery life: My iPod Classic can go from 7:30am to 7:30pm with ALAC files, which is all I use.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #7,450 of 9,131
I'm not trying to pick a fight or be obstreperous, but I do think it is absurd that so many are okay rationalizing material flaws in a $2500-3000 iPod. It's one thing to celebrate what the player is good at, but I think we're doing ourselves a disservice if we're couching these things with phrases like "other than the cable sensitivity issue" or "other than occasionally getting my ears destroyed by random 100% volume" or "other than there being literally no support from the manufacturer when there's a clear defect with a particular player" or "other than occasional playback glitches." Even taken as a subjective review forum, this seems like odd behavior when talking about a multi-kilobuck device.

If I am out of line or if our goal here is to just come to these threads for confirmation bias and to feel good about our purchases, I guess I missed the point.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #7,451 of 9,131
I'm not trying to pick a fight or be obstreperous, but I do think it is absurd that so many are okay rationalizing material flaws in a $2500-3000 iPod. It's one thing to celebrate what the player is good at, but I think we're doing ourselves a disservice if we're couching these things with phrases like "other than the cable sensitivity issue" or "other than occasionally getting my ears destroyed by random 100% volume" or "other than there being literally no support from the manufacturer when there's a clear defect with a particular player" or "other than occasional playback glitches." Even taken as a subjective review forum, this seems like odd behavior when talking about a multi-kilobuck device.

If I am out of line or if our goal here is to just come to these threads for confirmation bias and to feel good about our purchases, I guess I missed the point.

At this player's price, there should be no caveats!

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7,452 of 9,131
You are right to say as you feel. I own one. It's dies work perfect and way better than my iBasso hdpr10 ever did lol.
But my one and only negative is its sound it's just not good for me. But I do tread about some who have issues like yours and others that does make me feel a bit lucky.
Mostly people come here to feel good of there purchase I do not I come to know more about my future purpose before I buy it. And learn more after I have chosen it.
Lastly owning s Hugo I just wish there was more honesty in those threads before I bought it lol. So lost as you feel but just be honest is all anyone can ask for.
Al

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #7,453 of 9,131
I have almost no problems the only persistent one is the first time I connect to my Mac, I get an error which says cannot read unplug and plug in. I do it works no problem both copying to and from the internal drive and the mini card.

Early on I had a cable connect issue. It was a fault in the cable end of my balanced cable. I returned to the cable maker and he re sodered the plug correctly and no problems w either the
balanced or the 3.5. In 100s of hours I maybe had to restart 3 times. Not bad for a boutique device.

Am I lucky, I don't think so... Most work as they should. Human nature is to complain louder than to compliment.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #7,454 of 9,131
I have almost no problems the only persistent one is the first time I connect to my Mac, I get an error which says cannot read unplug and plug in. I do it works no problem both copying to and from the internal drive and the mini card.

I wish that iRiver would devote some time and effort to writing a reliable file transfer app instead of AFT. A premium device relying on a clunky piece of software doesn't quite make sense. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #7,455 of 9,131

Edit: It's not fair to say I can't think of a single upside; the sound quality is good when everything is working.

I must have been fortunate since I don't have any of the issues a few have folks have brought up.  I can't speak to the QC since we don't have statistics around the failure/issue rate of the 240s.  Regarding the UI, I actually like it.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back