The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #6,618 of 9,131
Hi, everyone,

I've had my AK240 for about 4 months now, and up until a few days ago everything was going smoothly. I did start noticing, however, that sometimes the playback stops for anything between 0.5 to 2 seconds on random places on random tracks. Replaying the same part of the same track doesn't seem to reproduce the issue, so it's not the audio files themselves that are corrupted. 

I tried to google the issue but couldn't find anything on it so far. What I did read is that Astell&Kern support is not (or, at least, was not) the best in the world, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same issue, and can give me a few tips on how to fix it.

thanks

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #6,619 of 9,131
It is so tiring to hear people say that everybody's opinion has to be tolerated. Of course anyone can claim they hear differences when cables burn in or minute adjustments are made but that is just utter crap if you do a REAL blind test.

I asked an official AK reseller that I trust to have some information about the SS. He said he advised me against buying it as he was not comfortable selling me something that was just another marketing ploy from AK. He also said they were very good at upgrading prices with purely marketing upgrades such as gold or SS.

Anyone is free to buy SS and advocate its merits. But not too loud please.

And I am not a AK hater. I would buy the SS just because I like the color, but could bet my left testicle my RWAK240 sounds better.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #6,620 of 9,131
It is so tiring to hear people say that everybody's opinion has to be tolerated. Of course anyone can claim they hear differences when cables burn in or minute adjustments are made but that is just utter crap if you do a REAL blind test.

I asked an official AK reseller that I trust to have some information about the SS. He said he advised me against buying it as he was not comfortable selling me something that was just another marketing ploy from AK. He also said they were very good at upgrading prices with purely marketing upgrades such as gold or SS.

And I am not a AK hater. I would buy the SS just because I like the color, but could bet my left testicle my RWAK240 sounds better.

On best sound quality...I'd put my bet on your RWAK rather than any AK240 in different sheet metal.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #6,621 of 9,131
Let's move on. Anyone who owns the SS model congrats i am sure it looks and sounds nice.
There is a lot that goes on in audio we do not fully understand as such we all have our opinions.
I am of the camp the change must be obvious and repeatible but do understand for some things are more simplistic and almost cult like. If it makes one feel good then fine. But one cannot expect all to follow.
There are many who claim to hear things I do not. This makes me feel fine as I can only count on what I can hear.
Al

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #6,622 of 9,131
  Hi, everyone,

I've had my AK240 for about 4 months now, and up until a few days ago everything was going smoothly. I did start noticing, however, that sometimes the playback stops for anything between 0.5 to 2 seconds on random places on random tracks. Replaying the same part of the same track doesn't seem to reproduce the issue, so it's not the audio files themselves that are corrupted. 

I tried to google the issue but couldn't find anything on it so far. What I did read is that Astell&Kern support is not (or, at least, was not) the best in the world, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same issue, and can give me a few tips on how to fix it.

thanks

I'm facing same playback issue.... sucks...

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #6,623 of 9,131
Fwiw. Try external amps you may have
I do this as I have a few. They are very nice and a bit of change.
I also rotate my ciems. The why is change it allows me to hear my music froma different venue so to speak.
The internal amp is fine mind you. But external amps add there own flavor of course making things change.
Just a thought I thought I would share
Al

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #6,624 of 9,131
Hi, everyone,

thanks

This is a known issue to AK. They are addressing in the next firmware release.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #6,626 of 9,131

I think its one thing for people to have different opinion, just as many will have about rwak240. But it's another thing to directly insult people saying they are delusional, etc. you have your opinion .. Woo hoo lets light some fire works. I may not agree but I won't call you tone deft, etc.

So opinion is great, insults are not.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #6,628 of 9,131
Is it just me or does the balanced output seem to give an impression of a smaller soundstage? Any helpful inputs? Not really interested in troll answers but I've been trying diff tracks and now and then balanced seems more intimate and more concentrated in the center?
I'm using UM Merlin which has quite a wide soundstage..so using back the regular 3.5 it seems to widen by a lot.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #6,629 of 9,131
No I do not find that to be the case between balanced and single ended. Depending on iem, I either hear little to no difference, or the balanced out sounds bigger with better black space between instruments.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #6,630 of 9,131
No I do not find that to be the case between balanced and single ended. Depending on iem, I either hear little to no difference, or the balanced out sounds bigger with better black space between instruments.

Hmm I will have to try my other iem.. Seems when I go balanced the sound is more compact in the center with a sprinkle of details at the side.. It does have a black background but yeah.. What iems are you using? Could it be the cable? I'm using an female 2.5 to 3.5 adapter for the balanced plug to plug into the 3.5 so I don't have to carry and unplug my merlin repeatedly..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back