The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 11, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #6,301 of 9,131
  Here I am again only its 2015, still pondering the question of which DAP to buy and am very grateful for all your help in the past, but now there is a new DAP on the block (p1.  I still have the AK120 very firmly in possession, but now I would be grateful for the push to purchase between:

Hifiman 901s
AK240
[size=medium]Plenue 1[/size]

[size=medium]also is the Chord Hugo worth getting to go with said mentioned.  Does anyone know which dap has the better components?  I am assuming the AK240 due to its price.  I use iem final audio heaven 7, but looking to upgrade to suit the appropriate dap.  I apologise now if this question has already been asked, but am now so fed up with trying to decide that I dare not look at any CES footage.[/size]

[size=medium]I ultimately want good instrument separation and vocals.  Thank you in anticipation.[/size]

Let me throw the CEntrance Gloveaudio A1 into the mix. That would be a very nice update for your AK120 and you could go balanced... :wink: for only $599.

Cheers,
K

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #6,304 of 9,131
  Here I am again only its 2015, still pondering the question of which DAP to buy and am very grateful for all your help in the past, but now there is a new DAP on the block (p1.  I still have the AK120 very firmly in possession, but now I would be grateful for the push to purchase between:

Hifiman 901s
AK240
[size=medium]Plenue 1[/size]

[size=medium]also is the Chord Hugo worth getting to go with said mentioned.  Does anyone know which dap has the better components?  I am assuming the AK240 due to its price.  I use iem final audio heaven 7, but looking to upgrade to suit the appropriate dap.  I apologise now if this question has already been asked, but am now so fed up with trying to decide that I dare not look at any CES footage.[/size]

[size=medium]I ultimately want good instrument separation and vocals.  Thank you in anticipation.[/size]

Have you considered the Glove Audio A1 ?

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,305 of 9,131
If it was me looking for a new dap. Find places to hear them and with your music and your iem s
Even if it's mail Order and return in less than 30 days. The hi end daps ie ak240 is a working marvel there is no doubt in this. But like all else in audio the sound varies to ones likes and dislikes. So listen for yourself
Another thought is features. And finaly is resell price. Here is where name brand wins out so a ak240 is a good choice.regardin the hugo it's just a dac and as such has no gui not a good place to start. I iwnnone too and use it with my iPhone or ak240. The iPhone is on par with the Ak240 but the Al has more memory
But aside from memory there is no reason to own and use both for me. And as I have gotten use to the ak240 it's in deck daily now.
Here is one last thought and please do not take this as a dig at portible audio.
Ciems or Iems. Do not have the transparency to get all that there is from our divices. So as if now our daps and or portable dacs are beyond the listening tools we use with them.
What this means is if mobile this is not real value in a hugo and source device to be used in the field
So if mobile an dap is fine. Now if it's to be used in both allocations a d with headphones or system then of course by both. The sound of the ak240 is warm of neutral and has a very nicely details presentation
So for me a good one box solution.
Enjoy the music

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6,306 of 9,131
Will be very interested to know if the desktop AK500N sound better than the AK240 ...  

I Hope someone will have the opportunity to compare them...

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #6,308 of 9,131
Ok another question for the group.  I have two problems with my AK240.  One is that the balanced cable that I purchased from Moon Audio looses connection because the plug changes depth when it turns in the plug.  The second is that when I try to play music over wi-fi I get a low static noise audible in quite passages (no wifi and beautiful black backround).  I am still in the warranty period and am thinking of pushing for an exchange.  

I was wondering if these are problems that have been corrected in later units or if they are common to all units?  In other words is a new unit likely to have the same problem?  I use my AK240 everyday and don't want to be without it unless it is going to lead to a real improvement.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #6,309 of 9,131
The balanced headphone jack is a known problem.

No problems streaming with background noise for me.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #6,310 of 9,131
With RWAK background wifi noise is more than stock.Already I don't use MQS Streaming.I don't need it.

But,if anybody wants RWAK240,they need to know it.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #6,312 of 9,131
Does anyone know if a higher capacity 256 GB MicroSD Card will be compatible and play in the AK240?

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #6,313 of 9,131
Nevermind, just realized the higher capacity cards are not micro. My bad.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #6,315 of 9,131
Hi everyone, which amp do you guys use for pairing with ak240?
Purpose is mostly for fun but criteria needed is super low floor noise as gonna be using unbalanced.
Currently using Merlin ciems so want to try pumping out the bass beast :)
Currently left with Ican which is too loud even with the low gain setting.
Top picks so far are cypher labs picollo and fiio e12a which are both built for ciems wondering if anyone got better choices to pick from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back