The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #5,476 of 9,131
Apologies for asking a question that has almost certainly been asked and answered in this thread already, but as I don't fancy wading through all these pages to find it and as a search has brought up zilch, I will ask away... When I resume playback (using either the play/pause button on the side or pressing play on the screen) after switching the unit back on, it starts from the beginning of the song again rather than from where I switched the unit off. Given that most of what I listen to is prog rock and jazz, you can imagine how annoying it is to have to scan through a 20-odd minute song and try and remember where I left off.

HELP PLEASE!!!

"Switching the unit back on" as in after powering it off? Either way, the point of resumption is not something that can be set anyway.

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #5,477 of 9,131
"Switching the unit back on" as in after powering it off? Either way, the point of resumption is not something that can be set anyway.

Yeah, exactly that.

For example, this morning on my way to work I've been listening to a live version of Eruption by Focus from 1971.  It's just over 40mins long, and I switched the player off when I got into work, at about the 22min mark.  I know when I leave and switch it back on later, rather than resuming where I left off, it will go back to the beginning of the song and I'll have to scan forward to 22mins.

Surely that's a very very basic function isn't it?  Every other DAP I've had for the last 15-odd years has resumed playback from where it was left.

On a more positive note, so far this is, literally, the only negative I've experienced from the 240, but for a £2000+ (although I didn't pay that much for it) DAP, I would expect it to not be an issue.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #5,478 of 9,131
On a more positive note, so far this is, literally, the only negative I've experienced from the 240, but for a £2000+ (although I didn't pay that much for it) DAP, I would expect it to not be an issue.

On an even more positive note, A&K does listen and add/improve functions in newer versions of AK240 firmware, so they might throw that in someday. :wink:

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #5,479 of 9,131
On an even more positive note, A&K does listen and add/improve functions in newer versions of AK240 firmware, so they might throw that in someday.
wink.gif

That's fair enough, but that is a simple function which you shouldn't have to wait for them to sort out at their whim on a two grand DAP.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Could it be that I have a faulty unit?

(Full disclosure - mine is still on FW 1.15 and the relative lack of clarification either way about 1.16 changing the SQ prevents me from installing it)

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #5,480 of 9,131
  That's fair enough, but that is a simple function which you shouldn't have to wait for them to sort out at their whim on a two grand DAP.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Could it be that I have a faulty unit?

(Full disclosure - mine is still on FW 1.15 and the relative lack of clarification either way about 1.16 changing the SQ prevents me from installing it)

It is not a fault, they all do that. Personally it's of no concern but i can see how i could be annoying.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #5,481 of 9,131

It is not a fault, they all do that. Personally it's of no concern but i can see how i could be annoying.

I acknowledge that, in the grand scheme of things and compared with issues that some of its competitors have, it is quite minor.  But it is still quite annoying, particularly with long songs.

I've e-mailed customer support and asked if it's something they are aware of and will be fixing in future, so we shall see...

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,482 of 9,131
I acknowledge that, in the grand scheme of things and compared with issues that some of its competitors have, it is quite minor.  But it is still quite annoying, particularly with long songs.

I've e-mailed customer support and asked if it's something they are aware of and will be fixing in future, so we shall see...

Curious I tried pause and left it where it was but mine resumed from where I left off.. Could it be your unit shutdown by itself? Coz I've had mine shut down after a certain period and that's the only time it resumes from the start.

On another note though, bowers and wilkins p7 rocks! :) dynamic range though limited compared to hd800(which totally sucks) has better weight and pairs beautifully with the ak :) don't even have to use an amp for a good time :)
I'm settled for my headphone quest for now... :)

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5,483 of 9,131
Curious I tried pause and left it where it was but mine resumed from where I left off.. Could it be your unit shutdown by itself? Coz I've had mine shut down after a certain period and that's the only time it resumes from the start.

If it's just paused and I resume play without turning the unit off, it resumes from where it left off.  It's if it's switched off (via the power button, or going to sleep of its own accord) and then switched back on again it starts at the beginning of the song.

I did wonder if it was a tagging problem, as I do have quite a lot of files where the tagging is poor, but I think I've tried it with just about every file format and tagging quality and it's the same for all of them.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #5,484 of 9,131
If it's just paused and I resume play without turning the unit off, it resumes from where it left off.  It's if it's switched off (via the power button, or going to sleep of its own accord) and then switched back on again it starts at the beginning of the song.

I did wonder if it was a tagging problem, as I do have quite a lot of files where the tagging is poor, but I think I've tried it with just about every file format and tagging quality and it's the same for all of them.

Yup I think so long as it doesn't power down it will resume from where it left off. Stamp it normal :)

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #5,485 of 9,131
I'm sorry but I don't get it...
Would you expect a CD player in your HiFi system to resume the song where it was when switching the power off ?
For me it's logical and somehow expected to have the track starting from zero when starting the device. Don't you think ?

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #5,486 of 9,131
I'm sorry but I don't get it...
Would you expect a CD player in your HiFi system to resume the song where it was when switching the power off ?
For me it's logical and somehow expected to have the track starting from zero when starting the device. Don't you think ?

Not when every single MP3 player/DAP I've owned in the last 15 years has had this function as standard...

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #5,488 of 9,131
Agreed. it's been so long since I used an actual CD player that I forget how it functioned. I wish they started where they stopped as well.

Perhaps if it had been stopped for a few seconds but i would want to listen from the start to pick up the tread of the music again. Most music is designed to be listened to in one sitting isn't it ?

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #5,489 of 9,131
True... But sometimes I have to take phones out for a bit to do whatever it is I'm doing. Problem lies with long tracks... mixes, if you have 1 track that's mixed for 20 mins, going back to the spot I left off would be ideal. It's certainly not a problem, just a preference. I wouldn't have even brought it up, but it's a little thing.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #5,490 of 9,131
If the player can remember what track was playing it must write/store the data somewhere. Shouldnt be too much more to record the minutes also. Could have as an option in settings.....restore last play location y/n.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back