The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,597 of 9,131
  Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the AK240 to boot up if you have let's say 100 GB of music on it?
How about if it's almost full? I'm really curious about this and couldn't find such info anywhere.

Paradise

About 18 seconds with about 72gb

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #2,598 of 9,131
Thanks for the input guys. I'm a bit disappointed about this TBH. For 2.5K I expected a faster boot (instant if possible, such as that of the iPod Classic). 

Also, can you tell me how much the battery life is? I heard it's not that great. I'm the type to listen to a song when I go out for an hour or so, until I get bored and only then will I mess with my player to change it. How much battery life would a guy like me get out of the AK240?

I have no experience with High-Res audio players, yet I know that it's too much money to ask for a product that doesn't deliver plentifully in these and other important departments.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #2,599 of 9,131
  Thanks for the input guys. I'm a bit disappointed about this TBH. For 2.5K I expected a faster boot (instant if possible, such as that of the iPod Classic). 

Also, can you tell me how much the battery life is? I heard it's not that great. I'm the type to listen to a song when I go out for an hour or so, until I get bored and only then will I mess with my player to change it. How much battery life would a guy like me get out of the AK240?

I have no experience with High-Res audio players, yet I know that it's too much money to ask for a product that doesn't deliver plentifully in these and other important departments.

One of the problems iriver has in releasing breakthrough products with its attendant price tag is meeting expectations. Invariably, they will fail. Boot up time is just one of those characteristics that is the cost of admission.

The battery life could be longer, but it entirely depends on the files: DSD seems to not only get my unit warm, it sucks the battery life. As to what you can expect, the consensus is somewhere around 8-9 hours on average; I've never really ever measured it myself.

For someone who has never purchased a hi rez DAP, your first foray is noteworthy, not only in its expenditure, but also in the absolute fact that this player represents the state of the art in sound reproduction for a portable player.

I'm pissed, though, that my unit appears to be malfunctioning ... 
mad.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,601 of 9,131

One of the problems iriver has in releasing breakthrough products with its attendant price tag is meeting expectations. Invariably, they will fail. Boot up time is just one of those characteristics that is the cost of admission.

The battery life could be longer, but it entirely depends on the files: DSD seems to not only get my unit warm, it sucks the battery life. As to what you can expect, the consensus is somewhere around 8-9 hours on average; I've never really ever measured it myself.

For someone who has never purchased a hi rez DAP, your first foray is noteworthy, not only in its expenditure, but also in the absolute fact that this player represents the state of the art in sound reproduction for a portable player.

I'm pissed, though, that my unit appears to be malfunctioning ... 
mad.gif

I am sad to hear your unit is not functioning as it should and I can only begin to imagine your grief. Would you be kind to let me know what is it that you're having trouble with? I am eyeing the AK240, but will probably purchase it when I will hopefully visit Korea again next year. If I were there right now, I could get it for around $2,150 or even less if I was lucky.

I also heard about the volume knob issue which seems to wiggle. That disappoints me quite a bit, since just by looking at it, it gives me a feeling of exclusive build quality, not to mention how amazing using such a sturdy volume knob with 0 wiggle would've felt like.

You see, like many, I believe the satisfaction of owning such an exclusive product is furthermore enhanced by how using its various functions feels like and in this case, iRiver may have just forgotten to add the cherry on top of the already mouthwatering cake.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,602 of 9,131

I hope I can do one soon! Just as soon as Steph86 can send us a demonstration unit..... :wink:

PhilW, wave you been able to do your showdown between the ak240 and hugo?   We are Uber-interested by your feedback :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #2,605 of 9,131

I am sad to hear your unit is not functioning as it should and I can only begin to imagine your grief. Would you be kind to let me know what is it that you're having trouble with? I am eyeing the AK240, but will probably purchase it when I will hopefully visit Korea again next year. If I were there right now, I could get it for around $2,150 or even less if I was lucky.

I also heard about the volume knob issue which seems to wiggle. That disappoints me quite a bit, since just by looking at it, it gives me a feeling of exclusive build quality, not to mention how amazing using such a sturdy volume knob with 0 wiggle would've felt like.

You see, like many, I believe the satisfaction of owning such an exclusive product is furthermore enhanced by how using its various functions feels like and in this case, iRiver may have just forgotten to add the cherry on top of the already mouthwatering cake.

Hi Jedaite,

I misunderstood your original post in that I thought you owned a 240.

The problem I'm having is the volume control is working in a sporadic fashion: sometimes it works as it should and other times increasing the volume causes the reverse to happen and vise versa, often in several dB jumps with each click of the volume knob.

My good dealer Ted at teds headfood here on Head-Fi interceded on my behalf by speaking with Jimmy at iriver in southern CA. I've sent Jimmy an email and it appears he will take care of me. A follow-up report on this issue is in the offing ...

By the way, reach out to Ted if you're looking to acquire a 240; he's an honorable authorized dealer of A&K who stands by his word, something to value in a dealer and an individual.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,606 of 9,131
You get your micro sd card ordered?

The one at Walmart was not micro so I will return it as soon as I get it.   Amazon was selling it for $126. but they do not show they are selling themselves any longer, only third party vendors for $300+ ! So, I'll make due with one of the 64s that came out of the AK120 until supply catches up to demand. I'd say 3-5 months and it will sell for the $120s again with immediate availability.

I have been listening with the balanced 100% cable and I think I notice a difference between balanced and not.  What I read here when I first joined about balanced vs non, I think is true. That is, for IEMs balanced is not as big a diff as for full size Headphones.  In any event I am listening more now to this DAP than I have ever did before. For me, portable has only been for airplane flights and I fly a lot. But now, I am simply entranced.......334 or Mentor both sound great on the 240!

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,607 of 9,131
By the way, I just downloaded Peter Gabriel's So album from B&W's Society of Sound website, a 24/48 version of his 2012 remaster. The dynamic range is exceptional causing my humble Luxman tube amp to go into saturation at a volume setting that is not fazed by many other hi rez files. If you like his music, I strongly recommend the flac download ...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound/Society_of_Sound/Music/Peter-Gabriel-So.html

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,608 of 9,131
The one at Walmart was not micro so I will return it as soon as I get it.   Amazon was selling it for $126. but they do not show they are selling themselves any longer, only third party vendors for $300+ ! So, I'll make due with one of the 64s that came out of the AK120 until supply catches up to demand. I'd say 3-5 months and it will sell for the $120s again with immediate availability.

I have been listening with the balanced 100% cable and I think I notice a difference between balanced and not.  What I read here when I first joined about balanced vs non, I think is true. That is, for IEMs balanced is not as big a diff as for full size Headphones.  In any event I am listening more now to this DAP than I have ever did before. For me, portable has only been for airplane flights and I fly a lot. But now, I am simply entranced.......334 or Mentor both sound great on the 240!

Well Bestbuy has it for $199, I've got a bunch of 64 gig laying around. I do notice a difference with the balanced out, to My HD-800's, I listened to a DSD Jazz album last night, the detail blew me away, I was laughing while listening , because of how good the SQ was, felt like they were right in front of me.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,609 of 9,131
  By the way, I just downloaded Peter Gabriel's So album from B&W's Society of Sound website, a 24/48 version of his 2012 remaster. The dynamic range is exceptional causing my humble Luxman tube amp to go into saturation at a volume setting that is not fazed by many other hi rez files. If you like his music, I strongly recommend the flac download ...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound/Society_of_Sound/Music/Peter-Gabriel-So.html

Thanks for the tip!  Downloading it now.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #2,610 of 9,131

Thanks for the tip!  Downloading it now.

Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back