The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #2,611 of 9,131
Since the AK240 has Wifi, I was wondering :

-  Can I play Internet Radios over Wifi ?

Can I play iTUNE High-Res over Wifi ?

and since it has ANDROID inside:

- Can I install the Qobuz app on it to stream 16/44 quality music over Wifi ? 

thanks

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,612 of 9,131
A lot of us have had the usual suspects for our portable rig: an iPod and an amp (The Pico Slim in this case) and this setup was praised by many for a long time. Now that the AK240 stepped in, it seems that things have changed dramatically.

In that sense, can anyone put it in numbers from a scale of 1 to 10 (in words would be much better) how much of a difference is between the AK240 and the Pico Slim with a good LOD and of course the iPod?

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #2,613 of 9,131
  A lot of us have had the usual suspects for our portable rig: an iPod and an amp (The Pico Slim in this case) and this setup was praised by many for a long time. Now that the AK240 stepped in, it seems that things have changed dramatically.

In that sense, can anyone put it in numbers from a scale of 1 to 10 (in words would be much better) how much of a difference is between the AK240 and the Pico Slim with a good LOD and of course the iPod?

Hard to believe any portable one-piece stock amp will surpass a dedicated capable external amp for that matter, not mentioning the ability to throw in a drive of 480GB or even 1TB.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #2,614 of 9,131
The AK240 matches my Pico Power, which is better than the Pico Slim with IEMs by a tiny margin (it has a lower noise floor). I need to borrow an RX3B or Duet to be sure, but so far it looks as if the internal amp, especially in balanced mode, makes a portable amp redundant except if you wish to drive planers from a portable rig, where either of the mentioned balanced amps would do better. My loaner Audeze cans are with Shigzeo at the moment, so I can't check.

Quote:
  Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the AK240 to boot up if you have let's say 100 GB of music on it?
How about if it's almost full? I'm really curious about this and couldn't find such info anywhere.

Paradise

24 seconds from the initial button press (22 from the logo appearing) to boot. Another 15 seconds to scan ~100GB of files.

Since the AK240 has Wifi, I was wondering :

-  Can I play Internet Radios over Wifi ?

Can I play iTUNE High-Res over Wifi ?

and since it has ANDROID inside:

- Can I install the Qobuz app on it to stream 16/44 quality music over Wifi ? 

thanks

You can't install apps on it like the DX100. The only streaming is from the MQS server which you have to install on your computer. That will even losslessly stream DSD though.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,615 of 9,131
Apr 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2,616 of 9,131
  Hi everyone,

I've notice a problem on my AK240 that seems to be getting worse. Using the knob to adjust the volume control results in sporadic behavior: sometimes the control works in the opposite direction it is supposed to, sometimes it is sluggish moving in the proper direction, sometimes instead of .5dB steps it changes several dB at each slow turn—click— of the knob.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue on their unit? I have v1.09 installed.

Thanks for any help ...

Sorry to hear your problem with such a new acquisition. 

Mine has no problem (hopefully) so far but it does have play in/out and forth/after.  Hope it won't get detached in the long run.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #2,617 of 9,131
For UK buyers:

http://www.soundfidelity.co.uk/ 

With every AK240 we sell, we are giving away a free AKS02 Docking Cradle, retailing at £199.00 - just add both items to your cart and the discount will be added automatically. 

Also if you register for their newsletter you would get another 5% off. That would make it £1900 for the AK240 including  AKS02.

Not bad.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2,618 of 9,131
I wanted to follow up on my issue with my AK240. I spoke with Jimmy at iriver in Irvine, CA, and we went over my difficulty with the external volume control. Jimmy suggested I do a factory reset which I did but to no avail. Jimmy then sent me an RMA form so I could ship my unit back for replacement. During this process, I found him to be helpful, understanding, and patient with all my questions.

Jimmy mentioned this was not the first time he's seen a problem with volume controls in that there had been similar cases with the AK100 and AK120. I was the first to bring to light this issue with a 240, so it is an anomaly, not an early production problem.

A big shout out to Ted at teds headfood for helping me through this situation. My only anguish is I will be without my highly addictive 240 for about a week and that I will have a couple weeks of burn-in to get back to the magical space the 240 puts one in.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,619 of 9,131
I wanted to follow up on my issue with my AK240. I spoke with Jimmy at iriver in Irvine, CA, and we went over my difficulty with the external volume control. Jimmy suggested I do a factory reset which I did but to no avail. Jimmy then sent me an RMA form so I could ship my unit back for replacement. During this process, I found him to be helpful, understanding, and patient with all my questions.

Jimmy mentioned this was not the first time he's seen a problem with volume controls in that there had been similar cases with the AK100 and AK120. I was the first to bring to light this issue with a 240, so it is an anomaly, not an early production problem.

A big shout out to Ted at teds headfood for helping me through this situation. My only anguish is I will be without my highly addictive 240 for about a week and that I will have a couple weeks of burn-in to get back to the magical space the 240 puts one in.

I'm glad there taking care of the issue for you. Too bad about your burn in.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,620 of 9,131
I'm glad there taking care of the issue for you. Too bad about your burn in.

Thanks, kh, that's the price one pays sometimes. At least this time I know what I will be getting in the box whereas before it was a mystery.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #2,621 of 9,131

Well at least you will have a properly working super DAP in a week's time.  Congratulations.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,622 of 9,131
For UK buyers:

[COLOR=333333]With every AK240 we sell, we are giving away a free AKS02 Docking Cradle, retailing at £199.00 - just add both items to your cart and the discount will be added automatically. [/COLOR]

Also if you register for their newsletter you would get another 5% off. That would make it £1900 for the AK240 including  AKS02.

Not bad.
not bad for a UK retailer, otherwise expensive!

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,623 of 9,131
  For UK buyers:

With every AK240 we sell, we are giving away a free AKS02 Docking Cradle, retailing at £199.00 - just add both items to your cart and the discount will be added automatically. 

Not bad.

Sorry mate, but I think it still comes in at £2089.05 if you apply a 5% discount to their package price 

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #2,624 of 9,131
Sorry mate, but I think it still comes in at £2089.05 if you apply a 5% discount to their package price 

Still a saving of nearly £320 if you were intending to buy both at the same time.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #2,625 of 9,131
I am very curious about this, since it happens on my Pico Slim and iPod combo.

When I plug in my ES5s, there is a clicking noise with some harsh static that lasts for like 0.1 seconds or so. There is also background noise.

Are these issues present in the AK240 as well?

If you've spent enough time with it already, what issues would you point out to someone interested in getting it (if any)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back