The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,816 of 9,131
  Gentlemen, I really still do not understand is the use of the "Line-Out block"...  !!

According to A&K's manual, It seems to be supposed to take the L & R signal from the 2,5" balanced jack and take the ground...from the SE 3,5" jack !?

But.... Why do we need such bloc since the "balanced 2,5" jack" has already the 4 signals as the manual show.

So.... a Balanced headphone connected to the 2,5" Bal Jack will not get the same signal than a balanced device connected through the "LO Block" ?

Someone.....Any explanation ??

'The block' adds a ground connection to the balanced jack per the the text you quoted from the AK manual above. A TRRS connection will function whether grounded or not but if you want a shield for RF rejection, etc., you need the ground connection which is not normally part of a 4 pole TRRS connection.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,817 of 9,131

It figures that they wouldn't use the same wiring as most everyone else with the tip being L+ then R+ then L- and R-. That makes it easier to make and adapter but why conform, why have any industry standard or even try. But then a 2.5 TRRS is bizarre anyway. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,818 of 9,131
A 4 pin connector is actually not to balanced interconnect standard. Proper industry standard balanced single channel connector is 3 conductor and stereo would be 5. I don't think they should be scolded for trying to get it more right. For speakers or headphones it's 2 conductors per. For electronics, it normally has a shield or at least a chassis ground. That's been the standard from day one. 

As for using the 2.5 for balanced headphones with their wiring. I can understand why they don't want you to be able to stick a 3 pin 3.5 MM plug there to short it and the chassis may not fit a mini xlr. There is no standard for 2.5 balanced out there so I don't get it. I can understand if you think the 2.5 was a mistake but this config makes certain that the adapter can only be used correctly.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,820 of 9,131
I know that a 4 pin is not standard. I have designed and built balanced preamps, amps and dacs but this is portable and it works fine and you have to give people credit for being able to think. And 2.5 is ridiculous. Try to find any after market 2.5 TRRS that are quality and without a center steel pin. There are a few, I have TRS 2.5 that are not magnetic but they are hard to find and imagine 2.5 TRRS will be even harder. 

There are a few manufactures that have used 3.5 TRRS with the wiring configuration I mentioned. Now if people have their phones terminated that way, you can also get 2.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRRS, which would make it easy for them to use their balanced phones but not now, since iRiver decided to go with a different wiring of the TRRS. Make it easy for your customers, not hard. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,821 of 9,131
Here's 'the' best song to use as a tester IMO. Which CIEM does this better? I think I already know the answer but I can't help myself to ask again and share this...he, he.....Enjoy:

I was enjoying that last night on my AK240 and running 24/48... K10s are beast!

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,823 of 9,131
  For $2,500 I expect the level of UI features, functionality, and ease of use of an iPod Classic combined with iTunes, and the sound quality to be better than the already-excellent AK120.

Set sarcasm detector to on, mate.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #1,824 of 9,131

I was enjoying that last night on my AK240 and running 24/48... K10s are beast!

we get it, you love your K10..but is the AK240 any good with the roxanne? If the K10 is 10/10 for you where would be put the 240 roxanne combo?

I do xD

I do like it with the Roxanne as well, but I'm trying to review my K10 so I can't comment much. Also my cable's still broken.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,827 of 9,131
Feb 11, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,829 of 9,131

Users who are viewing this thread

Back