The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,802 of 9,131
You should post pics of your setup in the 'Show Us Your Head-Fi Station' thread. Seems like you got some great gear, I'd love to see what your working with.

My place is quite a mess right now but I'll clean it up and grab piccy pics

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,804 of 9,131
Are you liking K10 over Rox? Is AK good with both?

I posted this:

I have been holding back on this for a month or so, because I feel some may feel strongly against what I will say.

The K10 sounds better than the Roxannes.

I have done my testing, I have also asked my friends (who oddly have the same ear shape and therefore can listen to the K10s and Roxannes side-by-side) to test both. All of us have varying tastes in music and listen to different parts of music. One listens to how it sounds and how it replicates sound, one listens to metal and loves clarity in his recordings, and the other loves his guitars and drums. All of them agree on the Kaiser 10 being a one over the Roxanne.

I honestly had put my chips behind the Roxannes, but after listening to them I felt they slightly underwhelmed. I said to myself, give it time, it will grow on you... But unfortunately the K10 has proven itself to be the victor for me. It may depend on your ears and your taste, but for me, the reigning champion is the Kaiser 10. Dynamically, musically, vocally, our general consensus is, Noble has done something amazing with this CIEM.

I will be preparing my full review in a few days/weeks, along with some photos.

All hail the king, Kaiser 10!

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,805 of 9,131
I posted this:

I have been holding back on this for a month or so, because I feel some may feel strongly against what I will say.

The K10 sounds better than the Roxannes.

I have done my testing, I have also asked my friends (who oddly have the same ear shape and therefore can listen to the K10s and Roxannes side-by-side) to test both. All of us have varying tastes in music and listen to different parts of music. One listens to how it sounds and how it replicates sound, one listens to metal and loves clarity in his recordings, and the other loves his guitars and drums. All of them agree on the Kaiser 10 being a one over the Roxanne.

I honestly had put my chips behind the Roxannes, but after listening to them I felt they slightly underwhelmed. I said to myself, give it time, it will grow on you... But unfortunately the K10 has proven itself to be the victor for me. It may depend on your ears and your taste, but for me, the reigning champion is the Kaiser 10. Dynamically, musically, vocally, our general consensus is, Noble has done something amazing with this CIEM.

I will be preparing my full review in a few days/weeks, along with some photos.

LOL I can see alot of ppl canceling their roxanne orders...lol

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #1,806 of 9,131

They shouldn't just on account of me, I mean the Roxanne could be what they're looking for...

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,807 of 9,131
They shouldn't just on account of me, I mean the Roxanne could be what they're looking for...

Well... one part of your post sounds like you are making a definitive claim(all your friends, "all hail the king"), and the other you are saying it's just the better one for you. Which side are you leaning closer VZ? You gotta be responsible for the wordings of your post since it is making me wanna buy The K10! :)

If possible, please clarify the differences in your review. Then I shall decide whether I should reprint yours or the galactic k10. :)

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,808 of 9,131
Well... one part of your post sounds like you are making a definitive claim(all your friends, "all hail the king"), and the other you are saying it's just the better one for you. Which side are you leaning closer VZ? You gotta be responsible for the wordings of your post since it is making me wanna buy The K10!
smily_headphones1.gif

If possible, please clarify the differences in your review. Then I shall decide whether I should reprint yours or the galactic k10.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the point he's making is, even if he and all his friends think the K10 is the best thing since sliced bread... It doesn't mean the sound signature is going to suit you at all. He can only be responsible for what he likes, the rest is up to you. Horses for courses, as they say 
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,809 of 9,131
  All of us have varying tastes in music and listen to different parts of music. One listens to how it sounds and how it replicates sound, one listens to metal and loves clarity in his recordings, and the other loves his guitars and drums. All of them agree on the Kaiser 10 being a one over the Roxanne.

Well... one part of your post sounds like you are making a definitive claim(all your friends, "all hail the king")...

Here's 'the' best song to use as a tester IMO. Which CIEM does this better? I think I already know the answer but I can't help myself to ask again and share this...he, he.....Enjoy:

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,810 of 9,131
  Hi all,

The following play list formats are supported by the AK240:

M3U : “audio/x-mpegurl”
M3U : “application/x-mpegurl”
PLS : “audio/x-scpls”
WPL : “application/x-scpls”

Hey thanks! I'm really focussed on usability. Are these proper implementations of the formats? The PLS implementation in the AK120 was quite broken, is why I ask.

And: how can you get the playlist - both the file and the files - synced to the device?

Thanks in advance for any help - I've sent queries to iRiver, and the Swiss dealer, and received no replies.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,811 of 9,131

Being able to manipulate the playlist would be good - I can see that being useful. This sounds like something that could be added in a firmware update, too. I wouldn't worry about the album covers, though. How long do you look at an album cover? For me, I see it and go, "yup, there it is" and it's back in my pocket. I don't know about the hardware end of things - if it doesn't have a real line-out, I can see that bothering some folks for sure. What do you expect for $2500+?
wink.gif

For $2,500 I expect the level of UI features, functionality, and ease of use of an iPod Classic combined with iTunes, and the sound quality to be better than the already-excellent AK120.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,812 of 9,131
Did any one compared the HUGO against the AK240 ?   I need to buy one of those 2.  ( I have TH-900 &  Roxane )

So my Choice are :

- My AK100 > Hugo  (crapy AK100 UI, but..."may be" better SQ than the AK240 alone ??)
or    
- AK240 alone (With the AK240 I will use it's balanced Out since my TH-900 is wired Balanced)

( I can't wait April for Calyx M...expecially since it is more likely be available in Europe in June/july
redface.gif
 )

thanks

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,813 of 9,131
Gentlemen, I really still do not understand is the use of the "Line-Out block"...  !!

According to A&K's manual, It seems to be supposed to take the L & R signal from the 2,5" balanced jack and take the ground...from the SE 3,5" jack !??

But.... Why do we need such bloc since the "balanced 2,5" jack" has already the 4 signals as the manual show.

So.... a Balanced headphone connected to the 2,5" Bal Jack will not get the same signal than a balanced device connected through the "LO Block" ?

Someone.....Any explanation ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back