The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #5,341 of 9,131
  Thanks for clarifying. 
Also very sorry to have asked, once I got on a PC at work, it was clear that this question has been answered many many many times.

One question.

Has A&K Considered allowing 180 degree screen rotation?

Only reason I ask is, for example, my PortaTube amp has input and output on the same end of the amp.  This makes it quite cumbersome having headphone pot and HP out facing you (ona  desk for example), but the UI is upside down if you wish to navigate.

Given this is based on android, surely that wouldnt be hard?

Alternatively I could run a longer IC, but still, a simply UI rotate would fix this right up.

Anyway, thanks for your help on this one.

Scott

I don't think the 240 has a built in gyro to allow it offer the rotation function

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #5,343 of 9,131
This might not be much of a further reference of an opinion from the same person but anyway, I was thinking of giving 1.16 more try on different genres so I tried some music with no vocal this morning, namely a piece of Kenny G and one of my favorite classical symphonies. I have further noticed that:

- 1.16 puts more focus on the main stream that the accompanying music has a heavy "background music" taste, so I fail to understand how it becomes more balanced
- On classical. Oh my, bad, I mean BAD. And I'm talking about IE800 which is famed for classical. It becomes muddy now, from time to time I couldn't hear clearly between different instruments. Pizzicato on cello could barely be heard that it sounded merely like vibration. I'm tempted to approach iriver for 1.15

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #5,346 of 9,131
In regards to the latest firmware....... I WANNA GO BACK.. Everything sounds thicker, slower, less propulsive when there is a fast beat, and somehow the music sounds kind of muddied up by comparison to 1.15 and there has been a loss of air and ambience....  All IMHO.

Would this be deliberate ? Or is it just a side effect ? I am surprised by the change.

I am using the 240 with DITA, The Answer "TRUTH" 

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #5,348 of 9,131
No SQ issue for me with the new firmware on the Ref1.

Are you guys listening after a few glasses of scotch? Because this causes muddy sound from time to time.

Mim the sound difference is very obvious....

I find everything sounds better with a couple of Blue labels in me.......

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #5,351 of 9,131
Ag
I have noticed no sound quality change either.

Ahhh man I've noticed a little change and I just sent my first pair of iE800s to be balanced out ☺️ And I'm using the other pair now and I thought at first it was the phones but nope it's not,the sound quality isn't too bad but I'm going to have to listen for a while now until I get used to it as I was hoping to do some comparisons between the SE846 balanced and iE800 balanced to see how much of a difference it makes as both are going to be on straight copper cable ☺️ In balanced form..this kind of throws this out as I'm going to have to listen to this for a while as it is until I get used to the sound signature

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #5,352 of 9,131
1.16 initial impressions with UE RM’s balanced out.

Sound levels: No noticeable changes.
Sound signature: Seems like 1.15 with Pro EQ turned on, the higher frequencies are toned down so the sparkle is missing, overall a more muffled sound signature.  There is an attempt to project a larger soundstage with a pronounced delineation between the vocals and the backing score. The vocals are tight and center with orchestra much wider and further aback. This virtual surround effect should be an elective effect not the native sound signature.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #5,353 of 9,131
Sound is definitely thicker with v1.16 though a little bit more micro detail can be heard

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,354 of 9,131
  Sound is definitely thicker with v1.16 though a little bit more micro detail can be heard

+1

1.16 initial impressions with UE RM’s balanced out.

Sound levels: No noticeable changes.
Sound signature: Seems like 1.15 with Pro EQ turned on, the higher frequencies are toned down so the sparkle is missing, overall a more muffled sound signature.  There is an attempt to project a larger soundstage with a pronounced delineation between the vocals and the backing score. The vocals are tight and center with orchestra much wider and further aback. This virtual surround effect should be an elective effect not the native sound signature.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back