The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 17, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #5,311 of 9,131
Hmmm.. confusion now reigns. If only we could revert back if we didn't like it or to double check.

Sauntere,

My vote is quite simple: it's definitely better!

Details of improvement: better details,
texture and dynamism. More musical on the whole as well. :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5,312 of 9,131
i wonder how much the whole chain affects what changes are heard? 

For me with the ak240->000->mh335dw I do not hear much difference (must admit only listened for about 30 mins this morning).  But then the bass on mh335dw is plentiful so I may not miss a little if there is a change.....hopefully this makes sense!!  And I seem to always have to change volume, sometimes quite a lot, for different songs due to different recording levels so really cant remember what level i was before the update.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #5,313 of 9,131
It seems that different set-ups produce different results (the synergy with your IEM, especially).

If you are skeptical about this new FW, by all means avoid downloading it, & wait for the next update for more conclusive results.

Just my 2-cents. :)

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #5,314 of 9,131
While OTA firmware update sounds convenient, only OTA update being available is extremely inconvenient in situation likes this. I really wish I can downgrade to 1.15.

It seems that different set-ups produce different results (the synergy with your IEM, especially).

If you are skeptical about this new FW, by all means avoid downloading it, & wait for the next update for more conclusive results.

Just my 2-cents. :)

IEM definitely matters, that's why I mentioned my IEMs in my initial post. Both of my IE800 and SE846 are balanced btw with the same cable (ALO's SXC 24), and the loss of bass is a lot more obvious on SE846.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #5,317 of 9,131
Yup, the FW file(s) aren't exactly made public by iRiver for us to download, so reverting back to the old one would be nigh impossible.

Perhaps you would want to drop an email to them to find out if the process is reversible.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5,318 of 9,131
Hey all,
I could never afford an ak240, but I did just get the ak100ii.
I did a quick search on my phone and will look again tomorrow but just wanted to confirm something.

I used the dap as a DAC for my Samsung s5. I often like to listen to radio etc for something new or different.

Do these also work as DACs via cck for iOS devices?

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #5,319 of 9,131
i like the new firmware, listening to my ak240 and se846 with teds balanced silver litz cable the sound is more
neutral and detailed as before, matured. bass has more contour, not slim, less fun sounding than befor. with the
old firmware the sound reminds me more a th900, now more in the direction of a sr-009. so if you like more
punchy fun sounding set don't upgrade, if you like more neutrality and bass contour go for the new one. of course
this impressions for ak240/se846/balanced silver litz. my wish to buy a k10 is now lesser.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #5,320 of 9,131
i like the new firmware, listening to my ak240 and se846 with teds balanced silver litz cable the sound is more
neutral and detailed as before, matured. bass has more contour, not slim, less fun sounding than befor. with the
old firmware the sound reminds me more a th900, now more in the direction of a sr-009. so if you like more
punchy fun sounding set don't upgrade, if you like more neutrality and bass contour go for the new one. of course
this impressions for ak240/se846/balanced silver litz. my wish to buy a k10 is now lesser.

Can i ask why you dun want the K10 as much?

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5,323 of 9,131
for my taste the se846 bass was sounding to fun with the old firmware, i like contoured and fast bass.
i nerver heard a k10 but after what i read these iem are better here as the se846, the se846 have a little
tiny bit to strog bass presence. my taste has change here over the years, i completly understand all
who like the se846 because that full bass presence. now with this firmware the difference to the k10
are smaller (?), but, as allways, i think maybe i order one pair at the black friday sale. due i listen
mostly with big headphones it's more a wish than a must :wink:. and yes, the k10 looks so nice, they have
a great "must have" factor and i have no doubt that they are great.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #5,324 of 9,131
Sauntere,

My vote is quite simple: it's definitely better!

Details of improvement: better details,
texture and dynamism. More musical on the whole as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kiats

Can't find any info on AK's site regarding the details of the FW update.  Any idea what exactly that this update would bring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back