The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4,144 of 9,131
Today I received my new Seagate Wireless Plus 2TB portable WiFi drive, which has a DLNA server embedded. AK240's MQS streams FLACs perfectly from it. As expected, DSD files aren't even listed in the AK240, not many NAS models, let alone portable drives, support such format. Transfers from the PC to the disk are those you would expect from an USB3 external drive...around 120MB/s.
If you are looking for a way to get some huge music collection with you, this looks like a great solution now that NAS streaming has been added.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,145 of 9,131
Just got the ak240 today and comparing balanced out of ak240 with balanced out of my RWAK120-B and RSA Lightning amp, the RWA setup sounds better (TO MY EARS) than ak240 in every way.  Only testing with my JH16s FP.

I notice more bass weight that is also tighter and more defined on the RWA.  I also notice greater separation and 3-d'ness (if thats a word) on the RWA.  The treble is just as good on RWA as on AK240 and detail retrieval is the same on both.

Don't get me wrong, for a all-in-one, the AK240 sounds incredible. 

I absolutely love the interface on the AK240.  It is leaps and bounds beyond the AK120 interface.  I don't have any full size cans so was wondering if not having a separate amp makes a difference for IEMs, and it clearly does (TO MY EARS).

Since this is Head-Fi, let me put in some disclaimers:

1.  Not bashing the ak240, I might actually end up keeping it over the RWA setup.
2.  I know the RWA setup has a separate amp, actually a great one at that.  Thats not what I'm comparing for a decision. Its either the ak240 without an amp or RWA with amp.  Both are balanced out to my JH16s
3.  I know the AK240 is not burnt in yet.  Just giving my thoughts and initial impressions.
4.  Differences between the two I notice are very minor differences.  Its not like going from an iPhone to AK240. 

Now time to decide between the two.  Decisions, decisions.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #4,148 of 9,131
Afaik neither Mac OS nor Win Can Format more than 32 GB as fat32. I only know of this Little fat32formatter program That can do this.

That is incorrect. I formatted a 256GB hard disk in FAT32 way back in 2006 or 2007 under OSX. I was surprised, of course, because I assumed, that like windows, OSX was limited to formatting FAT32 to 32GB.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #4,149 of 9,131
  Just got the ak240 today and comparing balanced out of ak240 with balanced out of my RWAK120-B and RSA Lightning amp, the RWA setup sounds better (TO MY EARS) than ak240 in every way.  Only testing with my JH16s FP.

I notice more bass weight that is also tighter and more defined on the RWA.  I also notice greater separation and 3-d'ness (if thats a word) on the RWA.  The treble is just as good on RWA as on AK240 and detail retrieval is the same on both.

Don't get me wrong, for a all-in-one, the AK240 sounds incredible. 

I absolutely love the interface on the AK240.  It is leaps and bounds beyond the AK120 interface.  I don't have any full size cans so was wondering if not having a separate amp makes a difference for IEMs, and it clearly does (TO MY EARS).

Since this is Head-Fi, let me put in some disclaimers:

1.  Not bashing the ak240, I might actually end up keeping it over the RWA setup.
2.  I know the RWA setup has a separate amp, actually a great one at that.  Thats not what I'm comparing for a decision. Its either the ak240 without an amp or RWA with amp.  Both are balanced out to my JH16s
3.  I know the AK240 is not burnt in yet.  Just giving my thoughts and initial impressions.
4.  Differences between the two I notice are very minor differences.  Its not like going from an iPhone to AK240. 

Now time to decide between the two.  Decisions, decisions.

Same here, i have RWAK120-B pair with SR-71B & AK240. I definitely prefer AK120 setup in term of sound but i like the AK240 portability with the balance feature. I think i will take the portability and maybe RWAK mod.  

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4,150 of 9,131

Congrats, the AK240 is really golden!  
wink.gif

Yeah, i like it :p. but big hurt to my wallet lol.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #4,151 of 9,131

Same here, i have RWAK120-B pair with SR-71B & AK240. I definitely prefer AK120 setup in term of sound but i like the AK240 portability with the balance feature. I think i will take the portability and maybe RWAK mod.  

If you want balanced output, you could turn to Mezzo HiFi's modded AK100. It's not for everyone, but it is MUCH smaller than the AK240, lighter, and costs less than half. Its interface and general slickness is down several notches. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #4,155 of 9,131

It's $500 & $800 depending on the mod requested. I'm all about people being paid for their time and parts and making a profit. I've been a business owner almost my whole adult life.

What parts are used, for the $500 mod?
How long in time does it take to do?  Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back