The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #3,845 of 9,131
General question for anyone in the know..

May be stupid and i think i know the answer but just want to be sure. 

In regards to balanced cable. I assume the cable needs to be balanced from AK240 output to the earpiece of the IEM and that an balanced out adaptor feeding a single ended cable will not give a balanced result. Is that correct ? 

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #3,846 of 9,131
You cannot use a single-ended cable and terminate to balance TRRS plug as you would instantly short circuit your 240

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #3,848 of 9,131

If I was paying 2.5k for a dap, I wouldn't complain about their case prices and all but I rather not to talk more about as I don't want to get banned or something
beerchug.gif

You're right, since I've already drank the Kool-Aid (or I wouldn't be here in the first place). It's just that reality creeps in sometimes with this hobby. If it were a point and shoot camera case, with the same features and materials, it would probably cost 20.00 dollars. MHO 

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #3,850 of 9,131
Judging the linearity of the signal that the AK240 brings to a Shure SE846 i can't help thinking that this is snake oil to the nth.

I would expect that the most expensive dap ever could be able to feed properly low impedance balanced armature iems. Truth to the matter is that an iPhone 5s do better in that regard. Not ti mention an iBasso DX100.

gezerygy.jpg

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #3,851 of 9,131
I would expect that the most expensive dap ever could be able to feed properly low impedance balanced armature iems. Truth to the matter is that an iPhone 5s do better in that regard.

AK advertises the output impedance so snake oil it isn't.  That plot looks like the single ended output.  Correct?

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #3,852 of 9,131
Judging the linearity of the signal that the AK240 brings to a Shure SE846 i can't help thinking that this is snake oil to the nth.

I would expect that the most expensive dap ever could be able to feed properly low impedance balanced armature iems. Truth to the matter is that an iPhone 5s do better in that regard. Not ti mention an iBasso DX100.

gezerygy.jpg

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

The combination together is musical bliss ☺️:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,853 of 9,131
Try the SE846 with an iBasso DX100 and report back :wink:

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #3,854 of 9,131
Try the SE846 with an iBasso DX100 and report back :wink:

I would try but I'm in love with the :two_hearts:240:two_hearts: Just put in an order on my second one which hopefully will be here by the 1st of the month :wink:

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,855 of 9,131
If that's a balanced out curve, normal out will be twice as good and vice versa. Also be aware that it's an expanded curve. That's effectively a deviation of less than 3.5db overall on an earphone that drops to below 5 ohms in ranges.

Here's what I posted in the AK240 thread a few months back, predicting the se846 response with an AK120 so more deviation than here but describing the same sort of curve as above. http://www.head-fi.org/t/699429/what-difference-should-i-expect-ak120-rwak120-se846

I don't look at the graph in this thread as any issue at all with the AK240 which has a very good output impedance spec but with the earphone which has a ridiculously low impedance for a new design. That said, it's voicing may actually be included in it's impedance curve and if it sounds good in a combo, it is. It's just that the impedance of a se846 lends itself for inconsistency of response to even very well designed DAPs. I believe the TF10 had a bit of that as well and got more V shaped with ultra low output impedance devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back