The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #3,631 of 9,131

Is there any official release on this as the units are not numbered and I cannot find an official statement.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #3,635 of 9,131
i think if not wrong, i did saw on DMA website it says 300units. but wasn't sure if its limited to 300units for HK or the whole Asia. 

Yep. Mentioned on DMA but not sure total quantity or Asia or hk.

http://www.dma-audio.com/product_detail.php?id=2373

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3,636 of 9,131
I experience the same problem. A couple of months ago I had a Silver Dragon IEM cable made up for me by Moon Audio with a 2.5mm TRRS plug at the end so that I could use my JH Audio 16 Pros with the balanced out of the AK240. When I got the cable and started to use I immediately noticed that I was getting a frequent crackling sound in the left channel which appeared any time the cable or unit was slightly moved or knocked. I returned the cable to Moon Audio who redid it and the new cable sounds better but is not 100% perfect. However I have found that if I insert the cable into the balanced socket in one specific position it tends to have a stronger lock and is less likely to be knocked or dislodged so, by and large and barring major knocks of the AK240 whilst I'm walking, the problem is solved. One certainly doesn't have any such issues with the 3.5mm socket but balanced out is definitely superior in my opinion.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #3,637 of 9,131
I experience the same problem. A couple of months ago I had a Silver Dragon IEM cable made up for me by Moon Audio with a 2.5mm TRRS plug at the end so that I could use my JH Audio 16 Pros with the balanced out of the AK240. When I got the cable and started to use I immediately noticed that I was getting a frequent crackling sound in the left channel which appeared any time the cable or unit was slightly moved or knocked. I returned the cable to Moon Audio who redid it and the new cable sounds better but is not 100% perfect. However I have found that if I insert the cable into the balanced socket in one specific position it tends to have a stronger lock and is less likely to be knocked or dislodged so, by and large and barring major knocks of the AK240 whilst I'm walking, the problem is solved. One certainly doesn't have any such issues with the 3.5mm socket but balanced out is definitely superior in my opinion.

So I had Craig at Whiplash make me a TWAu cable for my balanced out on the AK-240, then I heard about the issues some of you guys are having . This is his responce.

I will have your cable shipped tomorrow (today really). The AK240 female
2.5mm is very poorly mounted. There is a variance with this PCB female
jack. Now most of this is with units in Japan.
Plus I have a much better connector now!!

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #3,641 of 9,131
had this AK240 & AKR03 for just almost a week and now i m thinking of LCD3 or HD800 or Grado PS1000.... haha....

Any good recommendation of desktop amp to drive these phones? Which do u think would be a better combo : the Alo Studio 6 or Woo Audio WA22? or any others? 

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #3,642 of 9,131
  had this AK240 & AKR03 for just almost a week and now i m thinking of LCD3 or HD800 or Grado PS1000.... haha....

Any good recommendation of desktop amp to drive these phones? Which do u think would be a better combo : the Alo Studio 6 or Woo Audio WA22? or any others? 

Cord Hugo might be competitive

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #3,644 of 9,131
I quite like using my AK240 optical to Hugo rca to wa22 with my HD800 and LCD3
wink.gif

Yours [240] mod or un-mod?  You don't carry your Hugo while on-the-go, do you?

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #3,645 of 9,131
  Yours [240] mod or un-mod?  You don't carry your Hugo while on-the-go, do you?

Unmodded, and I do occasionally bring the AK240+Hugo stack on days where I know I'd have plenty of time to listen.... or when I want to do spotify on my Note3 (IMO Hugo sounded better than using the AK240 in DAC for Note3)... well really have to admit for a stack hater I had been bringing the Hugo out far too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back