The Astell & Kern AK120
Sep 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #3,931 of 7,071
Yes, they will work.  When I first got my AK120, I tried the same microSDXC to SDXC adapters that I used with my DX100.  They worked perfectly (I posted a link with a picture somewhere in this thread).  Obviously, you don't want to be running around with 2 adapter cables hanging out of your AK120.  However, the test proved the concept.  I had 320GB (128GB SDXC external + 128SDXC external + 64 internal).  If the adapters were shorter and lower profile and I could find a case that would be reasonably form fitting, I would be using them now.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of 128GB cards.  I just got to the point where I can no longer fit all my music in my DAP.

If anyone wants to give it a go themselves, here are a few links where these adapters can be ontained:

http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/KZ-B19.html (this one is fairly fragile...it won't hold up under flexing)
http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-TFC1m.html (this one is more sturdy, but just a wee bit thicker)

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3,932 of 7,071
   Obviously, you don't want to be running around with 2 adapter cables hanging out of your AK120.  

Sure David, but if you are already running the AK120 with an external amp, they can be folded in--between.  Shouldn't add too much.  I like the  idea of running 2x256GB SD cards and not having to swap out cards much.  Plus, now that i'm listening to mostly hi-rez, I'm gonna need more space.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #3,933 of 7,071
Being in Hong Kong i thought a quick trip to sham shui Po golden computer centre would mean I have the adaptor and SD cards loaded and ready ton play now!! But no one stocks them. Have had to order from deal extreme. Hope don't take too long. Will post results and picture ASAP.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3,934 of 7,071
Being in Hong Kong i thought a quick trip to sham shui Po golden computer centre would mean I have the adaptor and SD cards loaded and ready ton play now!! But no one stocks them. Have had to order from deal extreme. Hope don't take too long. Will post results and picture ASAP.

I just ordered 2 from DealExtreme also.  Haven't pulled the trigger on 2x256GB SD cards though. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3,936 of 7,071
@harryb:  I like the way you think, but something to consider is that the ak120 gets pretty sluggish with "just" 196gb of music on it... I think it would be about as quick as molasses with about a half terabyte loaded 
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,937 of 7,071
Hey Harry,
Yours is slow because you listen to DSD. Convert to flac and all will be well.
-Sam

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #3,939 of 7,071
  @harryb:  I like the way you think, but something to consider is that the ak120 gets pretty sluggish with "just" 196gb of music on it... I think it would be about as quick as molasses with about a half terabyte loaded 
frown.gif

Hey Harry,
Yours is slow because you listen to DSD. Convert to flac and all will be well.
-Sam

You know I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the sam molasses speed as Chris?

Gapless never worked for me because I do not listen to albums and mine is always set to shuffle.
The diff with gapless enabled and off is zero.  It takes up to 5 seconds for the next song to load. I'm at like 180 GB capacity.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #3,940 of 7,071
I was expecting a much slower scan time with the extra storage used but no real differemce in playback and moving from one song to the next!!

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #3,942 of 7,071
My experience is that the UI became less responsive playing higher bit rate files, you can start to feel it with 24/96 and get worse with higher rates and worst for dsd. Probably the reason why they introduce it as firmware upgrade feature to avoid any initial backlash.... good expectation and perception management here

Another factor is the number of albums. Scrolling became more sluggish with more album with art.

None of these are surprising or out of the norm but for its price tag they could probably have used a more powerful processor handling the OS/UI and it won't cost them much more.

Maybe the AK140 or AK200 or whatever the next flagship will improve.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #3,943 of 7,071
frown.gif

Not sure I'm convinced that the speed issue pertains to the amount of external memory being used.....but we will soon find out.  I ordered a 256GB SD card for $300 on ebay and am now in the market for another if i can find one in that range.  Generally they are priced around $500.  When I get a second, I'll be running a full 576GB.  I know, that's a lot of music....but i keep finding that what i want to listen to is on one of the other micro SD cards i don't currently have loaded.  My goal is to have 576GB of my favorite music with me at all times!!

Currently I'm running a mix of 16/44.1 .wav and DSD files, and a few flac.  Considering converting dsd to flac to spare the processor.  Has anyone done a serious blind A/B comparison of flac and dsd?

I'm sure somebody will tell me that having so much memory will adversely affect sound quality too.  I remember having to test the 32 vs 64 GB micro SD cards after someone convinced me that they heard a striking difference.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #3,945 of 7,071
My experience is that the UI became less responsive playing higher bit rate files, you can start to feel it with 24/96 and get worse with higher rates and worst for dsd. Probably the reason why they introduce it as firmware upgrade feature to avoid any initial backlash.... good expectation and perception management here

Another factor is the number of albums. Scrolling became more sluggish with more album with art.

None of these are surprising or out of the norm but for its price tag they could probably have used a more powerful processor handling the OS/UI and it won't cost them much more.

Maybe the AK140 or AK200 or whatever the next flagship will improve.

Yeah, I have gone back to 1.33 now and things are much faster with little or no lag when changing from DSD to any other format and no lag at all when changing from 24/.. to 16/44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back