The Astell & Kern AK120
Sep 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #3,901 of 7,071

I'm actually quite interested in the S mod for the AK120. Won't have it done for quite some time though but from what I heard its even comparable to desktop rigs which is simply amazing considering its size.

Yesssszz.  Can't say enough positive about the S mod.  Knew i had something special when i found myself hearing some things with greater clarity than I do with my soundserver playing through my highly modified home system including dCS stack, TacT room correction, and Martin Logan CLS IIz's.  Simply amazing for a portable rig.  And for those who want to go running with just the AK120, I've used it standalone (no amp) with my headphones and a Shure in-line attenuator.  Talked to Vinnie about it.  He said I might come up with some impedance related issues but it sounds pretty good.  

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #3,902 of 7,071
  Finally was able to get my hi-def files into my AK120 thanks to the PS3.  Last night, spent some time listening to Kind of Blue and heard some elements I've never heard before, even on my home system.  After difficulties with a first PS3 unit which overheated, it was a total breeze......much easier than expected.  I've already heard from some of you, but If anyone needs help getting one set up let me know.

Congrats Harry,
I'll be in touch!
Sam

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,903 of 7,071

Yesssszz.  Can't say enough positive about the S mod.  Knew i had something special when i found myself hearing some things with greater clarity than I do with my soundserver playing through my highly modified home system including dCS stack, TacT room correction, and Martin Logan CLS IIz's.  Simply amazing for a portable rig.  And for those who want to go running with just the AK120, I've used it standalone (no amp) with my headphones and a Shure in-line attenuator.  Talked to Vinnie about it.  He said I might come up with some impedance related issues but it sounds pretty good.  

With what amp & headphone do you use your RWAK-120-S  when you are at home ?  

Also, could you specify what is the " soundserver " that you mention in your home system ? 

thanks

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,904 of 7,071
I've been using Sennheiser HD600's and SR71a.  I've been using these same headphones for a number of years.  I also use Sennheiser IE800's when i'm on the move.  In my home system I'm using a MusicVault Diamond Whisper with all SSD drives.  

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #3,905 of 7,071
Big ups to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio! My rwa120b is in transit as I type and I can't wait! He's been truly awesome to work with and I've got nothing but high praise for him! I'll give a full review when I feel comfortable with it :D

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #3,906 of 7,071
Big ups to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio! My rwa120b is in transit as I type and I can't wait! He's been truly awesome to work with and I've got nothing but high praise for him! I'll give a full review when I feel comfortable with it
biggrin.gif

So you only need to praise him for the mod, no need to pay?
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,910 of 7,071
  I've been using Sennheiser HD600's and SR71a.  I've been using these same headphones for a number of years.  I also use Sennheiser IE800's when i'm on the move.  In my home system I'm using a MusicVault Diamond Whisper with all SSD drives.  

Thanks for the answer.   the MusicVault Diamond Whisper seems to be very interested indeed !
Buy why this one rather than a more common brand like Aurender for example ? What is so magic with the MusicVault ? 

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #3,911 of 7,071
Big ups to Vinnie @ Red Wine Audio! My rwa120b is in transit as I type and I can't wait! He's been truly awesome to work with and I've got nothing but high praise for him! I'll give a full review when I feel comfortable with it :D

Have you ordered the TRRS/RSA cable from Vinnie also? I am seriously thinking about going for this mod but cannot find anywhere over here that supplies that cable.
Look forward to your thoughts on the mod when you get it.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3,914 of 7,071

Thanks for the answer.   the MusicVault Diamond Whisper seems to be very interested indeed !
Buy why this one rather than a more common brand like Aurender for example ? What is so magic with the MusicVault ? 

No "magic" with the MusicVault.......but all I can say is it sounds amazing and competes favorably with my highly modified Wadia 270se transport.  I studied up on soundservers for quite a while before i settled on the Musicvault.  Besides the awesome sound, Neil Van Berg of Sound Science who produces the MusicVaults is an incredible resource.  He remotely sets up the whole deal and is available to help at a moments notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back