The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,631 of 7,071
Quote:
Slightly off topic but I figured I'd post this here since I've offered to rip SACD's for a number of my AK100 and AK120 friends.  I had a rather disappointing occurrence.  I purchased (at rather considerable expense) the correct PS3 to rip my SACD collection. The setup was a bit of a tedious process with a couple of hitches.  I learned after considerable frustration that you can't use an aftermarket PS3 controller which set me back a at least a couple of hours.  Finally got to the point where I was ready to rip......AND........the unit overheated, would not reboot, and basically became a useless brick.

Luckily the ebay seller is sending me a new unit.   If you are thinking about buying the older PS3 units that will rip SACD's, be very careful.  These units have a problem where they overheat and melt the solder on the motherboard, killing the unit. Sony is probably very happy these units are dying.   If you buy one on ebay, make sure you ask the seller about it's history or if it has been "reballed", whatever that means.  

I'll let you know when I'm back up and running.  Once I am, I'd be glad to help with the SACD collection rips.

[size=10pt]The first thing everyone should do when purchasing a new or used vintage PS3 for ripping SACDs is to replace the thermal paste on the RSX (Graphics Processing Unit) and CELL (Central Processing Unit) chips. Arctic Silver is great and will last several years. The paste used by Sony was good for about 2 years before it dried out causing the chips to overheat. The paste dries out largely from age not use. Once the PS3 begins to overheat, the hundreds of tiny balls of solder used to attach the RSX and CELL chips to the circuit board begin to crack and/or grow “tin whiskers” causing the PS3 to fail. [/size]

[size=10pt]While you are in the PS3 replacing the thermal paste, I would recommend also replacing the 15-blade fan with a 19-blade fan you can purchase on eBay (e.g., Whisper Fan). That would be plenty to keep your PS3 alive for ripping SACDs for many years. I purchased a couple brand new vintage PS3 machines only for ripping SACDs, and when I pulled the heat sink off the chips (RSX and CELL), the paste was completely dried on both machines, rendering the heat sinks worthless. Had I used them as-is, they would have overheated and eventually died.[/size]

[size=10pt]If you are also a hard core gamer and plan to tax the RSX and CELL chips for hours under heavy load, or if you're just a geek that likes to modify things, you can optimize the cooling further by replacing the thermal heat pads on some of the other chips and drilling holes in the bottom of the case to allow another avenue for cold air to enter the case. Also, some of the oldest PS3 units came with a very inefficient (67%) power supply (ZSSR5391A) that adds heat to the case. For about $20, a higher efficiency (83%) power supply (APS-226) can be purchased on eBay that will reduce the temperature of the PS3.  I also added a cheap 60GB Samsung SSD to further reduce heat (it doesn't speed up booting). [/size]

[size=10pt]I've ripped over 150 SACDs on my vintage PS3 and it should be good for many years to come (other than having to replace a burned out blu ray diode some day in the future.)[/size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3,633 of 7,071
Quote:
Did anybosy try using after market cable used for usb dac?
If so, is there any improved compare with stock cable.
I personally do like ak120 sound but it feel different with usb dac function

You don't really need it, and in USB-DAC mode the AK120 is limited to only 24/96, plus you have to manually set this in your audio device setting or else it will default to 16/44.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #3,635 of 7,071
Quote:
Thank, because i thinking that may improve the sound.

Unless something is wrong with the cable like shielding or grounding, digital cables like USB generally don't make much change to the sound.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3,636 of 7,071
Quote:
[size=10pt]The first thing everyone should do when purchasing a new or used vintage PS3 for ripping SACDs is to replace the thermal paste on the RSX (Graphics Processing Unit) and CELL (Central Processing Unit) chips. Arctic Silver is great and will last several years. The paste used by Sony was good for about 2 years before it dried out causing the chips to overheat. The paste dries out largely from age not use. Once the PS3 begins to overheat, the hundreds of tiny balls of solder used to attach the RSX and CELL chips to the circuit board begin to crack and/or grow “tin whiskers” causing the PS3 to fail. [/size]

[size=10pt]While you are in the PS3 replacing the thermal paste, I would recommend also replacing the 15-blade fan with a 19-blade fan you can purchase on eBay (e.g., Whisper Fan). That would be plenty to keep your PS3 alive for ripping SACDs for many years. I purchased a couple brand new vintage PS3 machines only for ripping SACDs, and when I pulled the heat sink off the chips (RSX and CELL), the paste was completely dried on both machines, rendering the heat sinks worthless. Had I used them as-is, they would have overheated and eventually died.[/size]

[size=10pt]If you are also a hard core gamer and plan to tax the RSX and CELL chips for hours under heavy load, or if you're just a geek that likes to modify things, you can optimize the cooling further by replacing the thermal heat pads on some of the other chips and drilling holes in the bottom of the case to allow another avenue for cold air to enter the case. Also, some of the oldest PS3 units came with a very inefficient (67%) power supply (ZSSR5391A) that adds heat to the case. For about $20, a higher efficiency (83%) power supply (APS-226) can be purchased on eBay that will reduce the temperature of the PS3.  I also added a cheap 60GB Samsung SSD to further reduce heat (it doesn't speed up booting). [/size]

[size=10pt]I've ripped over 150 SACDs on my vintage PS3 and it should be good for many years to come (other than having to replace a burned out blu ray diode some day in the future.)[/size]

Wow this is awesome information.  Thanks so much!!  

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #3,638 of 7,071
Well, Acoustic Sounds has finally begun offering DSD and HiRez downloads. http://store.acousticsounds.com/

Now, if only they could offer me some real music, I'd be opening an account. Seriously, pushing 50 and Creedence was not even an option for young people back in late 70s. Well, of course unless you and your family belonged to the hillbillie tribe...

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3,639 of 7,071
Quote:
Now, if only they could offer me some real music, I'd be opening an account. Seriously, pushing 50 and Creedence was not even an option for young people back in late 70s. Well, of course unless you and your family belonged to the hillbillie tribe...

I love their music. I ain't even close to 50 yet but they have quality music. The dynamic range is also very high on their music :).

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #3,641 of 7,071
A few pictures of the RWAK 120-S with the ASP TU-05. 

Love the additional line out socket......................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back