The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,206 of 7,071
Well, guess what?  (the tension mounts....everyone is wondering... :)

Look at the pic:

That's the same adapter I used with my DX100. So, The AK120 DOES support native (exFAT) 128GB.  I have 2 of those adapters.  So, theoretically, I could put 2 x 128GB SDXC cards in for a total of 320GB storage!!

My next test is to stick about 120GB of music on that 128GB SDXC card, then rescan it in the AK120 and see how well it works.  The picture above is just the empty card (no melting, no smoke, no Sansa Clip :).

I don't plan to use the adapter(s).  However, I'm within about 3GB of running out of space now with 2 x 64GB cards.  So, as I get new music, either I down sample some of my hi-rez music to make more space (which kind of defeats the purpose of having a hi-rez player), or I remove some to make space for new, or I use the adapters.  One of the reasons I sold my DX100 and bought the AK120 was to have something smaller, lighter, and without external connections.  Decisions, decisions.

The bottom line, assuming it works when I test it with the card filled up, is that when 128GB microSDXC cards do come out, they should work in the player.

????? Sorry no popcorn eating in mobile. Really curious how it goes with 128 cards.

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2,207 of 7,071
Quote:
Well, guess what?  (the tension mounts....everyone is wondering... :)

Look at the pic:

That's the same adapter I used with my DX100. So, The AK120 DOES support native (exFAT) 128GB.  I have 2 of those adapters.  So, theoretically, I could put 2 x 128GB SDXC cards in for a total of 320GB storage!!

My next test is to stick about 120GB of music on that 128GB SDXC card, then rescan it in the AK120 and see how well it works.  The picture above is just the empty card (no melting, no smoke, no Sansa Clip :).

I don't plan to use the adapter(s).  However, I'm within about 3GB of running out of space now with 2 x 64GB cards.  So, as I get new music, either I down sample some of my hi-rez music to make more space (which kind of defeats the purpose of having a hi-rez player), or I remove some to make space for new, or I use the adapters.  One of the reasons I sold my DX100 and bought the AK120 was to have something smaller, lighter, and without external connections.  Decisions, decisions.

The bottom line, assuming it works when I test it with the card filled up, is that when 128GB microSDXC cards do come out, they should work in the player.

Indeed this has me very interested as well. I'll post two popcorn emoticons for Saraguie and I. 

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,208 of 7,071
Quote:

Indeed this has me very interested as well. I'll post two popcorn emoticons for Saraguie and I. 

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

Worked like a champ!  I had 1.21GB free on internal memory, 2.27GB free out of 59.46GB on SD 1, and 12.73GB free out of 116.71GB on SD2.  It scanned the library and found 9372 songs (had to duplicate some for the test).  It played everything just fine, whether from internal memory, the 64GB microSDXC card or the 128GB SDXC card.

So, I'm back to my 2 x 64GB cards and almost out of memory.  Now it fits in the case.  However, it's really nice to know that the 128GB cards do work right out of the box (exFAT).  The AK120 didn't even care that it was a SDXC instead of a microSDXC because of the adapter.

Once they do come out with 128GB microSDXC cards at a reasonable price, we'll have 320GB DAPS!
gs1000.gif

Here's a pic:

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,213 of 7,071
Quote:
Time to join the flac side of the groove :D

Right now I have two micro SD 64 GB and onboard memory, I decided to stick with one microsd and onboard as I find navigating around all those files a little too distracting. 

Audionewbi that is yet another reason why I love playlists. Because you get all your music in the same directory (all 3 combined and in order). So I never use folder view anymore. Plus my music is in the order I want it :).

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #2,214 of 7,071
Worked like a champ!  I had 1.21GB free on internal memory, 2.27GB free out of 59.46GB on SD 1, and 12.73GB free out of 116.71GB on SD2.  It scanned the library and found 9372 songs (had to duplicate some for the test).  It played everything just fine, whether from internal memory, the 64GB microSDXC card or the 128GB SDXC card.

Once they do come out with 128GB microSDXC cards at a reasonable price, we'll have 320GB

Hellelujah!!!!

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #2,215 of 7,071
Quote:
Honestly who needs 320 GB :D

I do.

Just because you don't need that much storage, doesn't mean many others wouldn't jump at the chance to have their entire music collection on their DAP.  Personally, I don't want to spend time figuring out what I want to listen to then transferring it to my DAP.  I just want it to be there to listen to when I want it.

More storage = more flexibility.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #2,216 of 7,071
Quote:
I do.

Just because you don't need that much storage, doesn't mean many others wouldn't jump at the chance to have their entire music collection on their DAP.  Personally, I don't want to spend time figuring out what I want to listen to then transferring it to my DAP.  I just want it to be there to listen to when I want it.

lol 320 wouldn't even come close to approaching my entire collection. I'd need a 2 TB micro SD card to do that :wink:....

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #2,217 of 7,071
I do.

x2

In fact on the contrary I can't under why people won't want more storage unless they really like swapping cards or have a small library... Dual slots for the AKs is definitely something I wish Hifiman had implemented for their 901.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,218 of 7,071
Has anyone tried the DAC function on Win 8?  Mine works fine on my Win 7 PC.  Doesn't work on my Win 8 laptop.  The driver installs properly.  I see the device in the list of playback devices.  When I click test, I see output in the test window.  However, I get no sound through the AK120.

It works perfectly on Win 8 but need a usb2 socket. Will not work on usb3 at least not on the latest ultra books.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2,219 of 7,071
Quote:
It works perfectly on Win 8 but need a usb2 socket. Will not work on usb3 at least not on the latest ultra books.

That's just odd.  I thought it might be USB 3.0, so I moved it to a USB 2.0 socket, but it did the same thing. Thanks for the feedback.  My laptop is a very new release - Lenovo Y510p.  It's still on its first release of drivers (maybe they JUST released some updates within the last few days).  I have a feeling it's a driver issue.  I'll send them a note a hope they get it figured out soon.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,220 of 7,071
I think you guys misinterpreted my question. I can get whatever DAC/PMP I want with whatever sound it has, but I was asking what the purpose of having a dual DAC is. Evidently you don't need 2 DACs to sound good so why 2?

So you can charge twice as much, probably.
And here comes the tiresome clan of "anything expensive sucks and anyone who buys it is stupid" The dual dac question has been raised on this thread or the other and been answered. The matter of price as well. Simple or dual, it is also a matter of what dac, implementation, amp used, phone used. You question is quite weird. Some single driver iems soumd great, so why would anyone try 6 or 8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back