The Astell & Kern AK120
May 14, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #241 of 7,071
I will wait and produce my most honest review I can. I hope it can help others to decide. I will do my very best to organize a head-fi tour, see what happens. 

May 14, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #242 of 7,071
Quote:
I will wait and produce my most honest review I can. I hope it can help others to decide. I will do my very best to organize a head-fi tour, see what happens. 

Hi Audionewbi,  please also provide comment on how the 120 flares against the Sony MDR EX1000.  Thanks and appreciate.

May 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #244 of 7,071
I tried them once , if you meant the iem , the fit is pretty wonky , althought maybe thats because of wrong sized tips , or even outright wrong tips (you know silicone instead of hybrid)

May 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #245 of 7,071
Yes, the EX1000 is a bit picky in this front, right tips for your ears is necessary to make it perform.

Now with the much powerful 120 and is very eager to know how it pairs with the AK

May 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #246 of 7,071
I am very interested to know how AK120 fare against the DX100 and the HM901 before making my purchase.

May 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #247 of 7,071
funny, someone here was damn right, there will be buyers even for this overpriced AK120
tongue.gif

i will wait till Anak and others report their impressions comparing Mezzo, Stage 2 and RWA moded AK100 to AK120 plain... IF happens sound quality not as nearly different as AK120 price suggests i will go for moded AK100 either Stage 2 or Mezzo.
tongue_smile.gif

i am also waiting for Vstudio and perhaps smaller iBasso version, i do not like too big heavy DAPs like HM901 or DX100.

May 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #248 of 7,071
Hei Audionewbi, where did you order your unit?

May 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #249 of 7,071
Quote:
funny, someone here was damn right, there will be buyers even for this overpriced AK120
tongue.gif

i will wait till Anak and others report their impressions comparing Mezzo, Stage 2 and RWA moded AK100 to AK120 plain... IF happens sound quality not as nearly different as AK120 price suggests i will go for moded AK100 either Stage 2 or Mezzo.
tongue_smile.gif

i am also waiting for Vstudio and perhaps smaller iBasso version, i do not like too big heavy DAPs like HM901 or DX100.

I'd actually say wait for spkrs01's perspective on this 'cos I'm not certain if I'd go anywhere near the AK120 yet. I'm dying to hear the DX50 specs.

May 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #253 of 7,071
Quote:
tongue.gif

tongue_smile.gif

A long time ago I did some engineering work for one of the local Uber High end shops here. The most common question asked by customers. "Whats the most expensive?".  I learned a lot about the marketing of high end audio from that place.

May 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #254 of 7,071
Hutnicks, sorry to disagree but "what is the most expensive" you usually ask in a jewelry shop, anyone asking this qiestion about hifi is either dumb or not an audiophile. I knew some enthisiasts who would rather assemble gear themselves than pay for finicky useless gear. I myself had to return more expensive DACs and kept my cheapo Rega just because what i tried did not offer me analogue sound smoothness, my next try is Metrum NOS which costs under 1k and that goes in after trying many far more expensive DACs.

So man, believe me, a true audiophile, and we all here are audiophiles, would not care about looks and else gimmicks, all we care is sound we want to hear from our gear. I never could care less about price tag unless we talk about musical instruments where price - quality has straight and direct relationship (if you ever had experience buying guitar or piano you would understand me).

But i agree with playback gear things are different and you often have to overpay for a good marketed brand, but no audiophile would ask for more expensive, rather for best sounding. Only those who have no idea would ask for expensive one.

May 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #255 of 7,071
Most hi HIGH end HI-FI customers are not audiophiles at all, just rich people who like expensive things , that others reassure them are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back