The Astell & Kern AK120
Mar 19, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #5,611 of 7,071
I am still having trouble getting the AK120 to work as a DAC with a MAC... I can't believe there isn't a driver available for it or that iRiver haven't released a firmware update yet. Surely I can't be the only one having this problem?

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #5,612 of 7,071
  I am still having trouble getting the AK120 to work as a DAC with a MAC... I can't believe there isn't a driver available for it or that iRiver haven't released a firmware update yet. Surely I can't be the only one having this problem?

What sort of problem are you having?

Just checking: Have you selected the AK120 USB DAC as the sound output in your Mac sound settings?

When I used to own AK120, I had no problems using it as a USB DAC with my Mac. From memory, a driver isn't needed for a Mac.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #5,613 of 7,071
I have indeed selected "use this device for audio output" in audiomini. This has worked with a V-Dac in the past but not the AK120. I have a Macbook Air which only has two USB3 ports. This machine runs 10.9.2. I have fiddled around with the bit & freq settings in audio mini but i haven't tried every combination.

I then tried on another machine which only has USB2 ports but still not luck. I think that machine runs snow leopard.

Any other tips?
Thanks

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #5,617 of 7,071
hmm... i varied it using the mac keyboard and watched the volume db change in audiomini, still with no sound. though i cant be sure i tried all bit and frequency settings with it at 100%. What should the bit/freq settings be on or does it not matter?

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #5,618 of 7,071
hmm... i varied it using the mac keyboard and watched the volume db change in audiomini, still with no sound. though i cant be sure i tried all bit and frequency settings with it at 100%. What should the bit/freq settings be on or does it not matter?

There is a program called Midi. Put the word in finder should bring it up. See if a setting in it is causing the problem. I'm not in front of my puter so cannot see how mine is set.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #5,619 of 7,071

Oriise, by this time you might have already received the RWAK (if I am not mistaken). I have had a brief (less than a week) loaned AK120 (I work with Koreans that are fanatics about music). I can just tell you that I am extremely satisfied with the SQ  of my  RWAK-B Titan paired with the TH900 balanced. I use the cypherlabs duet as amp. I wouldn't change it unless the AK 240 is significantly better which so far, I don't know. I am awaiting Vinnie's comments....

I just received the RWA AK 120 B-Mod a few days ago. It is a beast. Definitely worth the spend. And that's going single-ended into an old Mark II amp. I can't wait to hear how it will sound when I save up some extra cash to get a balanced amp to take full advantage of the improved sonics. I was originally thinking of going with the ALO audio balanced amp but I appreciate the TH900 tip so I will definitely have to check that one out as well. Thanks for the input.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #5,620 of 7,071
Hi people!

I need help.

I have one AK120 and I need to know what amp/dac I can use to improve the sound. If I use an amp/dac with optical cable I will realize any difference?

I´m thinking something like Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, Ibasso D12, xDuoo XP-1...

I appreciate any help/indication.

Sorry for my bad english :p

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #5,621 of 7,071
Hi mrhizzo, wouldnt you use the dual dacs in the ak120 due to the sq as well as high price you're paying for the device? I feel that you should get a good amp to pair with it. I would recommend RSA Intruder as I own one and feel that its sq is sublime 
dt880smile.png

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #5,623 of 7,071
So in trying to fix my DAC problem (previous page), I have created another. I can find music on the AK120 via the folder structure and play it, but the AK120 library doesn't know that there is any music when i tap on artists, albums, genres, or MSQ icons on the home page. Each one says There are no artists. (Or albums if i tap on albums etc).

I have tried:

1. resetting (multiple times)
2. rescanning the library (multiple times)
3. deleting the library db file from the AK120 using my mac
4. moving the files on the AK120 using my mac into a different folder still within the AK120 Music folder. This forced the scan to do it again, though it did it more thoroughly and took much longer.
4. reinstalling 1.37 firmware.

The reason i started fiddling with this is because i had deleted music off the AK120 (from my mac), but there were songs still listed in the library. When I went to play them it said File not found. I knew that these files were not on the AK120 anymore, but the library hadn't realised. So i started fiddling around and now the library doesn't see anything.

I am trying to avoid copying all my music onto it again and starting over, but if thats the only option then i guess I could do that.

Any thoughts?

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #5,624 of 7,071
  So in trying to fix my DAC problem (previous page), I have created another. I can find music on the AK120 via the folder structure and play it, but the AK120 library doesn't know that there is any music when i tap on artists, albums, genres, or MSQ icons on the home page. Each one says There are no artists. (Or albums if i tap on albums etc).

I have tried:

1. resetting (multiple times)
2. rescanning the library (multiple times)
3. deleting the library db file from the AK120 using my mac
4. moving the files on the AK120 using my mac into a different folder still within the AK120 Music folder. This forced the scan to do it again, though it did it more thoroughly and took much longer.
4. reinstalling 1.37 firmware.

The reason i started fiddling with this is because i had deleted music off the AK120 (from my mac), but there were songs still listed in the library. When I went to play them it said File not found. I knew that these files were not on the AK120 anymore, but the library hadn't realised. So i started fiddling around and now the library doesn't see anything.

I am trying to avoid copying all my music onto it again and starting over, but if thats the only option then i guess I could do that.

Any thoughts?

How much free space do you have on the AK120s internal drive? I have experienced weird side effects to the library structure when there is not enough free space available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back