The Astell & Kern AK120
Mar 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #5,581 of 7,071
i have noticed absolutely no problems with my 846 and 120

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,582 of 7,071
Can anyone comment on what issues they've experienced with the RWAK -B mod? I know there have been issue with seeking and changing tracks. Have there been issues with USB DAC compatibility as well? Also, has the mod completely killed battery life?

Kojaku

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #5,583 of 7,071
My titan will arrive tomorrow. I am coming from stock ak100. Hopefully i can hear the difference ak120 brings. What iems do you guys recommend for under 600usd without amp? I am currently using fitear A111 on my ak100. Thanks

Please try Earsonic SM 64 V1 if you can Find , if not than v2
Or Phonak 232 if you can Find second , it is alreaey discontinued

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #5,584 of 7,071
  Don't forget the new 6 drivers Weston W60.

Thanks. I have just checked that W60 is 1k+....... so expensive!!. I wonder how they stack up against ToGo334. I haven't tried 334 before but heard that they sound great with ak120. Does anyone know whether they are still of out of stock?

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #5,585 of 7,071
  i have noticed absolutely no problems with my 846 and 120

Please try Earsonic SM 64 V1 if you can Find , if not than v2
Or Phonak 232 if you can Find second , it is alreaey discontinued

Thanks for the advice. I have tried my new ak120 using Fitear A111 and momentum for a few hours now. Both sound much better than used with Ak100. To me, the instruments are better separated, larger sound stage and better clarity. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #5,586 of 7,071
I have an RWA AK 120 B-Mod coming on Monday. Can't wait to take for a test drive! I will let you know if there are any issues after using it for a few weeks. I've also read about the greater battery charge drain but that is a price I am willing to pay for the reported improved SQ. More to come.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #5,587 of 7,071
  I have an RWA AK 120 B-Mod coming on Monday. Can't wait to take for a test drive! I will let you know if there are any issues after using it for a few weeks. I've also read about the greater battery charge drain but that is a price I am willing to pay for the reported improved SQ. More to come.

I use the ANKER portable battery during my trips and it charges the RWAK 120-B three times... I paid $45 in Amazon....

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5,588 of 7,071
  I use the ANKER portable battery during my trips and it charges the RWAK 120-B three times... I paid $45 in Amazon....

Thanks for the tip Papiro2 - that is definitely something I will look in to. How do you like your 120-B in terms of SQ over what you had before?

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #5,589 of 7,071
I was actually thinking that once I get my 120 modded that I'd pick up the Anker Astro pro2 because it has multi-voltage DC output so I could use it to simultaneously charge the RWAK and my intruder for 20 hours straight play time :)

Kojaku

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5,590 of 7,071
  I was actually thinking that once I get my 120 modded that I'd pick up the Anker Astro pro2 because it has multi-voltage DC output so I could use it to simultaneously charge the RWAK and my intruder for 20 hours straight play time :)

Kojaku

Very cool - especially since 24 bit files drain more and I'm getting quite a few in my library. This is a sick hobby but you gotta love it!

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #5,591 of 7,071
A lot of Ak120 is on FOR SALE TRADE FORUM most of them converting to ak240..i dont understand people going in the ak240's direction when the most of the people i ask said there is a marginal improvement between ak120..considering the price i dont know why people's taking the plunge...me im happy with my titan...:)

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #5,592 of 7,071
If you check on the AK240 threads, you will know that it is more than a marginal improvement. Some guy even described it as a 25% improvement which is quite a substantial upgrade and not just a side-grade or difference in tonal presentation. In Head Fi sense, cost-to-performance ratio is never linear and the law of diminishing return always come into play whenever we approach top-tier TOTL quality in SQ.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #5,593 of 7,071
So I'm looking into good daps that also have the function as a usb dac/amp for my macbook air when I'm out of the house. I do know of the Fiio X5 coming out and I do plan on getting that in the future but I was also looking at the AK120. It seems to do pretty well in terms of having both capabilities. I also do realize that at this price range there should be pretty major diminishing returns which shouldn't be a problem as most people do consider the AK120 pretty up there. I do have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

I don't plan on getting an amp with these as that defeats the purpose for me. I have no intention of buying a dap around 1k only to have to buy a portable amp but I will only be using iem's so that shouldn't be a problem although how does it perform with something like the JH13 or UERM? In terms of performance as a dac/amp with a laptop and strictly as a dap from the headphone out which seems to be better? Ideally they would be the same but if not I would want the headphone out as a dap to be superior. 

Also it seems that there were some UI issues in the beginning although not as bad as some other daps but how do you find the UI of the AK120 with the most recent firmware? I can handle something like the X3 but of course I would want it to be much better. I got spoiled after having the ZX1. I would get that again but no functionality as a dac/amp means that purchase has to be delayed for now.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #5,594 of 7,071
In some arenas i just plain get priced out.  I can only work 12 hrs a day six days a week and survive.  I have several pairs of headphones that are over a grand, I have four portable set ups now. Just can not justify the ak240 when i already like the ak120.  I don't care about the screen at all, i don't even use album art, it is in my pocket.  I listen mainly to live concert downloads that are 24 bit if possible in flac or a lac. Hate not to jump but i think i'm good.  It'll take me till summer when i get enough time off to even enjoy it.  The next thing on my budget was the BHA-2 dac anyway, I could use a dac upgrade at home, mine although good is getting outdated. Still knowing the 240 is out there does call to me at times.
redface.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #5,595 of 7,071
Is really an individual preference i guess.

Some folks i know have an AK120 with a Kojo Km01 amp, with a decent interconnect, that adds up within striking distance of an AK240 price tag. Yet still sound lesser compared to AK240 on its own. For these guys i reckon it makes sense to just move straight to the AK240 since price isn't a big gap or concern, versus the sound quality.

Not to mention a recent meet where some of the guys compared the AK240 sonically favorable even to the Chord Hugo. In my books, that makes the AK240 even more attractive,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back