The Astell & Kern AK120
Mar 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #5,596 of 7,071
  Is really an individual preference i guess.

Some folks i know have an AK120 with a Kojo Km01 amp, with a decent interconnect, that adds up within striking distance of an AK240 price tag. Yet still sound lesser compared to AK240 on its own. For these guys i reckon it makes sense to just move straight to the AK240 since price isn't a big gap or concern, versus the sound quality.

Not to mention a recent meet where some of the guys compared the AK240 sonically favorable even to the Chord Hugo. In my books, that makes the AK240 even more attractive,

Well if it's even put in the same ballpark sonically, to the acclaimed Chord Hugo, then that is a huge plus in my eyes

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5,597 of 7,071

Thanks for the tip Papiro2 - that is definitely something I will look in to. How do you like your 120-B in terms of SQ over what you had before?ris

Oriise, by this time you might have already received the RWAK (if I am not mistaken). I have had a brief (less than a week) loaned AK120 (I work with Koreans that are fanatics about music). I can just tell you that I am extremely satisfied with the SQ  of my  RWAK-B Titan paired with the TH900 balanced. I use the cypherlabs duet as amp. I wouldn't change it unless the AK 240 is significantly better which so far, I don't know. I am awaiting Vinnie's comments....

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #5,598 of 7,071
  I was actually thinking that once I get my 120 modded that I'd pick up the Anker Astro pro2 because it has multi-voltage DC output so I could use it to simultaneously charge the RWAK and my intruder for 20 hours straight play time :)

Kojaku

Hi Kojaku, Just let me tell you that I bought the Anker Astro E5, it is the size of two AK 120 put together and it is very heavy, although still portable. With the E5 I get 3 charges for the RWAK and 1 charge for the Cypherlabs duet. My flight is 25 hours long (three legs) and I can go throughout with that set up if my RWAK and Duet is fully charged at the beginning of the trip. Best, 

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #5,599 of 7,071

Hi Kojaku, Just let me tell you that I bought the Anker Astro E5, it is the size of two AK 120 put together and it is very heavy, although still portable. With the E5 I get 3 charges for the RWAK and 1 charge for the Cypherlabs duet. My flight is 25 hours long (three legs) and I can go throughout with that set up if my RWAK and Duet is fully charged at the beginning of the trip. Best, 

I understand, but I'm kind of in an odd situation because Ray exclusively uses barrel terminations on his amps, so I'd need a battery with a a comprehensive DC output system. 

Kojaku

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #5,600 of 7,071
  Is really an individual preference i guess.

Some folks i know have an AK120 with a Kojo Km01 amp, with a decent interconnect, that adds up within striking distance of an AK240 price tag. Yet still sound lesser compared to AK240 on its own. For these guys i reckon it makes sense to just move straight to the AK240 since price isn't a big gap or concern, versus the sound quality.

Not to mention a recent meet where some of the guys compared the AK240 sonically favorable even to the Chord Hugo. In my books, that makes the AK240 even more attractive,

Nah they should just get the S mod and crush them all :wink:... Or go for the hugo.

Mar 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #5,601 of 7,071
I'll try to compare the AK240 to the Hugo at the So Cal meet this weekend. I'll report back. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #5,606 of 7,071
i have noticed absolutely no problems with my 846 and 120

I took your advise and ordered the shure 846, which is coming tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, i have 20 days to decide whether i like it or not. Fingers crossed

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #5,607 of 7,071
Hi does jh13fp pairs well with ak120? I'll be using an rsa intruder as external amp, however worrying that it will be double amping instead as it does not have a line out. Thanks in advance!

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #5,610 of 7,071
  Why S and not B?

There are better single ended amps available than the balanced ones so you'd be limiting yourself to the amp sections available in balanced mode. The HO section of the AK120 as a LO still isn't as good as the one Vinnie creates on the side where the button goes (most likely due to the higher quality plug).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back