The Astell & Kern AK120
Oct 30, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #6,317 of 7,071
What is the best cable to connect the AK120 to iDSD Micro ?

I want use the iDSD as AMP/DAC 

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #6,320 of 7,071
Did anybody of you guys got in contact with A&K for bug reports? If so, which address did you use?

I still find it very annoying that artists & songs with special characters are crippled. And that artists are sorted like Z, A, B, C,...

I mentioned this on their Facebook page months ago and they said they would look into these issues - unfortunately I haven't heard anything since then and v1.4 still is the most recent firmware.

Actually this bothered me that much that I ordered the DX90, but it neither offered significantly improved sq nor a complete & attractive UI... Sticking with the AK120!

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,321 of 7,071
hello all, 

i know it's a fussy question….but i need some opinions: 

i have a Sony ZX1, love the sound, but don't like all the screen/smartphone mirror like build. While the UI is VERY very good, fluent, no bugs, weel organized, i'm looking for something else. 
Was in chase for a Tera, but they keep slipping out of my sight for different reasons….mostly i miss the offers around or they have no warranty no more and i'm too  afraid to spend 1k+ with no warranty.

Now, somebody offered me a trade with a ak120, also used but in great shape, same age as my zx1 (no warranty) but as exchange 1 to 1, no funds needed. (value 500 euro)

I had a VERY bad experience with a ak100 (the very first version), the UI was hell, shuffle didn't work properly, buggy….traded it for a dx50 and loved the dx…..which ultimately was traded+cash for the zx1.

I'd like to know if trading the zx1 for an ak120…..is it foolish or would you recommend it.

while i know it comes down to personal taste, are the 120 still a good value soundwise and Dap wise? 

thanks for any help hère guys

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #6,323 of 7,071
  hello all, 

i know it's a fussy question….but i need some opinions: 

i have a Sony ZX1, love the sound, but don't like all the screen/smartphone mirror like build. While the UI is VERY very good, fluent, no bugs, weel organized, i'm looking for something else. 
Was in chase for a Tera, but they keep slipping out of my sight for different reasons….mostly i miss the offers around or they have no warranty no more and i'm too  afraid to spend 1k+ with no warranty.

Now, somebody offered me a trade with a ak120, also used but in great shape, same age as my zx1 (no warranty) but as exchange 1 to 1, no funds needed. (value 500 euro)

I had a VERY bad experience with a ak100 (the very first version), the UI was hell, shuffle didn't work properly, buggy….traded it for a dx50 and loved the dx…..which ultimately was traded+cash for the zx1.

I'd like to know if trading the zx1 for an ak120…..is it foolish or would you recommend it.

while i know it comes down to personal taste, are the 120 still a good value soundwise and Dap wise? 

thanks for any help hère guys

Exactly AK120 is better than ZX1.Don't worry about it.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #6,324 of 7,071
Errr... Definitely preferential. I think I'd actually prefer the ZX1 over the an unmodified AK120. Having said that, I think the AK120 holds its value better than the ZX1 so in terms of a $$ worthy trade, yes. But sonically I'd pick the ZX1.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #6,325 of 7,071
Errr... Definitely preferential. I think I'd actually prefer the ZX1 over the an unmodified AK120. Having said that, I think the AK120 holds its value better than the ZX1 so in terms of a $$ worthy trade, yes. But sonically I'd pick the ZX1.

thanks Anakchan, thats what i needed to hear actually! :)

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #6,326 of 7,071
thanks Anakchan, thats what i needed to hear actually! :)

Your issues with the AK100 were with the UI and functionality, which would be near as damn it identical on the AK120, so despite it being my DAP of choice, I'd say give it a miss as you would most likely be disappointed.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #6,327 of 7,071
Better is so relative. I know there are more detailed devices than my AK100mk2 but damn, I just like the way it sounds. I'm a bit scared of modding it as I'm worried about messing up it's analogish character. It's informative enough, friendly yet fun playing music. Some of these players tell you a bit more...including what may not be right about them. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #6,328 of 7,071
Looking for some advice on my AK120 Titan - it's started to discolour a little on sides, where the finish has started to develop some darker patches. I've given it a light wipe but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue. I take extremely good care of it so it's certainly not from misuse. Has anyone else had this issue? Open to any advice about cleaning. Pretty concerned about whether this apparent staining is permanent given the cost. Thanks everyone.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #6,329 of 7,071
I just got my AK120 today and the firmware of my AK120 1.33, So i download the last firmware from here
http://www.iriverinc.com/download/downloadView.asp?selectPart=cateCode&findWord=02&sno=1105&page=1&cateCode=02

But how can update my AK120 to 1.40 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back