The Astell & Kern AK120
May 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #406 of 7,071
Hey Tup, where did you get your ak120?...really eager for your impressions.
I will let you know hopefully in 2 or 3 days time 
wink.gif

May 18, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #408 of 7,071
Hey Tup, where did you get your ak120?...really eager for your impressions.

Hey mate, I preordered on sound fidelity like 10 days ago, they were supposed to ship it last for Friday, but they emailed me and said it will be delayed till next Monday~ I am not sure this will help your situation since you are located in china.

May 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #409 of 7,071
A few people have said that it's not up to the level of the RWAK100 and the DX100. 

But Gavin also said it trumps over both rwak100 and dx100 :wink:

I really hope it sounds good. Finger's crossed

May 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #411 of 7,071
Quote:
He meant the regular lot .. lol those who have easy access to 1k
tongue_smile.gif

for us normal users lol we haveto wait for feedback from the elite lot, then go on a noodle / soup diet for a month or two, then save up that 1k and finally place the order and pray that it is as good as everyone says it is! hahahahaha

You know me too well....

May 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #412 of 7,071
Quote:
He meant the regular lot .. lol those who have easy access to 1k
tongue_smile.gif

for us normal users lol we haveto wait for feedback from the elite lot, then go on a noodle / soup diet for a month or two, then save up that 1k and finally place the order and pray that it is as good as everyone says it is! hahahahaha

Lol

May 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #413 of 7,071
He meant the regular lot .. lol those who have easy access to 1k :tongue_smile:

Ohh we are the same. I just do this in reverse order :wink:

May 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #417 of 7,071
Quote:
But Gavin also said it trumps over both rwak100 and dx100
wink.gif

I really hope it sounds good. Finger's crossed

tupac I don't think you'd be disappointed 
etysmile.gif

I had the DX100 and AK100.  The AK120 does trumps over its lil' bro but while the AK120 doesn't make me miss the DX100, I think they are mostly on par and which sound better depends largely on your preference on sound signature.  DX100 sounded colder and more analytical than AK120, while I seem to like the slightly warmer/denser sound on AK120 more (this was DX100 on low gain with FT334 and AK120 with FT334).  I'm almost sure DX100 have more power for fullsize cans but since I'm almost exclusively listening to these on-the-go with IEMs I can't say for sure.

where DX100 really got trumped by the AK's with a capital T are volume control, responsiveness, battery, and size....  so much so I was willing to take the sound quality compromise to replace it with an AK100.  Now the AK120 bridged the sound quality gap so it's a no brainer for me.

oh, the HM901.... wake me up when someone finds one available 

May 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #418 of 7,071
Quote:

tupac I don't think you'd be disappointed 
etysmile.gif

I had the DX100 and AK100.  The AK120 does trumps over its lil' bro but while the AK120 doesn't make me miss the DX100, I think they are mostly on par and which sound better depends largely on your preference on sound signature.  DX100 sounded colder and more analytical than AK120, while I seem to like the slightly warmer/denser sound on AK120 more (this was DX100 on low gain with FT334 and AK120 with FT334).  I'm almost sure DX100 have more power for fullsize cans but since I'm almost exclusively listening to these on-the-go with IEMs I can't say for sure.

where DX100 really got trumped by the AK's with a capital T are volume control, responsiveness, battery, and size....  so much so I was willing to take the sound quality compromise to replace it with an AK100.  Now the AK120 bridged the sound quality gap so it's a no brainer for me.

oh, the HM901.... wake me up when someone finds one available 

Can you do a comparison with the DX100 please

May 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #419 of 7,071
Lin I don't have the DX100 anymore so I'm not sure I can do a proper comparison from memory.  To me, they are both more on the analytical/clean side of sound signature and any difference I cite would be minor.  DX100 sounds colder and have slightly more clarity and a wider soundstage that pulls you further away from the stage.  AK120 has more height and put me closer to the stage.  The mids has more density and it also attacks notes with more authenticity both in the low end and highs.  Generally this make the AK120 a tad less "reference" and more "consumer" sounding compared to DX100.  But personally I seem to enjoy this sound more - it just seems to gave me better lows/mids/high on my FT334 especially if compared to AK100.  I probably need more time and try with more IEMs to understand this better as usually a more "v-shape" sound would means a more recessed mids but this is not the case with AK120.  

Having said that, if you can put up with the size/sluggy interface/battery (and built quality) for DX100, it is easily the more bang-for-buck purchase.  For sound quality alone, AK120 definitely is not worth almost double the price of DX100.  I also believe HM901 have better sound quality than AK120.

For me personally, I value portability and I'm rather happy with the AK120 purchase (note to self: I love ramen dinners... I love ramen dinners... I love...) as for the first time I think I achieved what I wanted in a portable system.  Heck I'm excited enough to sign up on HF after lurking for a couple years.  

May 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #420 of 7,071
Quote:
Lin I don't have the DX100 anymore so I'm not sure I can do a proper comparison from memory.  To me, they are both more on the analytical/clean side of sound signature and any difference I cite would be minor.  DX100 sounds colder and have slightly more clarity and a wider soundstage that pulls you further away from the stage.  AK120 has more height and put me closer to the stage.  The mids has more density and it also attacks notes with more authenticity both in the low end and highs.  Generally this make the AK120 a tad less "reference" and more "consumer" sounding compared to DX100.  But personally I seem to enjoy this sound more - it just seems to gave me better lows/mids/high on my FT334 especially if compared to AK100.  I probably need more time and try with more IEMs to understand this better as usually a more "v-shape" sound would means a more recessed mids but this is not the case with AK120.  

Having said that, if you can put up with the size/sluggy interface/battery (and built quality) for DX100, it is easily the more bang-for-buck purchase.  For sound quality alone, AK120 definitely is not worth almost double the price of DX100.  I also believe HM901 have better sound quality than AK120.

For me personally, I value portability and I'm rather happy with the AK120 purchase (note to self: I love ramen dinners... I love ramen dinners... I love...) as for the first time I think I achieved what I wanted in a portable system.  Heck I'm excited enough to sign up on HF after lurking for a couple years.  

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back