The Astell & Kern AK120
Sep 3, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #3,781 of 7,071
Thanks both for the suggestions.
Of course I uninstalled it (iRiver USB DAC) an reinstalled it... but it didn't improve things.
As this is a desktop with an excellent board which delivers sufficient power at any USB port, I don't think that's the solution. The same port(s) drive external HDs without any additional power. The AK120 is fully charged anyway, i.e. it would not even need the power via the USB cable. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3,782 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks both for the suggestions.
Of course I uninstalled it (iRiver USB DAC) an reinstalled it... but it didn't improve things.
As this is a desktop with an excellent board which delivers sufficient power at any USB port, I don't think that's the solution. The same port(s) drive external HDs without any additional power. The AK120 is fully charged anyway, i.e. it would not even need the power via the USB cable. 

Ok, have you tried it with another computer?  I started to think it was not software, but either the hardware or the new firmware is causing the problem.  Try to see if you can update your chipset drivers too.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,783 of 7,071
Both are good points. I will try them later today when I am back home and let you know the results... meanwhile: thanks!
smile.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #3,784 of 7,071
NP, the reason that chipset drivers might help is that at this stage USB3 chipset, firmware, and drivers are all still pretty flicky, and problems will occur when you least expect it.  Try your AK120 on USB 2.0 with some older hardware to see if you still have the problem.

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #3,785 of 7,071
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NSLoICFJPnE

Some of you might have already seen this, but I thought I share this with you.
I'm really interested in the future for the AK brand. Especially the AK120-successor.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3,786 of 7,071
Sep 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,787 of 7,071
Quote:
I really wanna know which month of next year their new flagship DAP will be release, as I'm waiting for the "successor of AK120" now. I even hope time can run faster as I could reach next year ASAP... Wait=Pain
redface.gif

OTOH I will stay away from any further AK purchases until they improves on their AMP section.....  the AK's appeal to me was largely predicated on the one-box slick and pretty angle.  While AK120 fare better I still find it lacking power to drive my IEMs with authority.  

Hope they'd make great improvement on the amp part in their next flagship but from that is being told it doesn't seems to be their priority.  
size]

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3,788 of 7,071
OTOH I will stay away from any further AK purchases until they improves on their AMP section.....  the AK's appeal to me was largely predicated on the one-box slick and pretty angle.  While AK120 fare better I still find it lacking power to drive my IEMs with authority.  

Hope they'd make great improvement on the amp part in their next flagship but from that is being told it doesn't seems to be their priority.  
size]

I have the same thought as you kkcc. :)

They should improve their stock amp as this is very important in a hifi DAP. However, the main reason for me to touch their future product is because they will offer larger screen + better DAC chip + their mature UI (to be consider very stable and long tern battery life compares with 901) in their future flagship, all of these worth me to wait already.

If the amp still not good enough, I would rather to use a portable amp for it so it won't be a problem for me. I mainly use UM miracle which considered could be easily drive IMO. :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #3,789 of 7,071
If they don't improve upon the amp section.....at least provide a true line out IMO....would make it a more attractive package.  Was thinking about picking one up but from the recent comments, think I'll wait till the next one too and stick with the iBasso stuff.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #3,790 of 7,071
Does anyone connect their AK120 to a home system ?

Really like the look of the KEF LS50 speakers and trying to work out what I would need to set up a simple but highly effective system for when I am home

Any suggestions greatly received

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3,791 of 7,071
The AK120 headphone out should be clean enough at 100 volume to function as a line out, besides it has a toslink optical out and you can use that instead.  However, based on it's specs, you will need an amp with enough power to drive it (25 to 100W).

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,792 of 7,071
Yeah I read a lot of reviews saying it's "clean enough" but of course being amped internally it's not as clean as it can be with the nice dual DAC implementation.  It'd be nice to have a true line out......having the optical SPDIF is nice to use as a transport but there are other much cheaper options for that purpose and most want to take advantage of the DACs in the ak120.  I haven't heard the unit myself but I'm sure it's a small hiccup regarding the complaints on the internal amp.....it seems to drive most top shelf IEMs plenty nice enough. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3,793 of 7,071
Quick email exchange with RWA (apologies if old info)

Quote:
what is the difference between the RWAK100-S and RWAK120-S? Is it just the hardware differences as implemented by iRiver?

Quote:
The RWAK120-S has two WM8741 dac chips (as the stock AK120 has two WM8740 chips), while the RWAK100-S has one.

We also add a 1,000uF Tantalum capacitor on the battery rail for the RWAK120-S, but we cannot fit this in the RWAK100-S.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Quote:
Thanks Vinnie. I await the full RWAK120-B reveal!

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,795 of 7,071
  NP, the reason that chipset drivers might help is that at this stage USB3 chipset, firmware, and drivers are all still pretty flicky, and problems will occur when you least expect it.  Try your AK120 on USB 2.0 with some older hardware to see if you still have the problem.

No success... I tried on a Lenovo laptop T500. Same issues. The chipset drivers on the desktop were the latest version for this board. I get the best result by using Direct Sound (DS: iriver USB DAC) which still stutters (about every 5 seconds) and is unlistenable. Not what I hoped for: but the longer the more the AK120 itself seems to be the problem... I will test an older firmware (1.2x)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back