The Astell & Kern AK120
Sep 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3,815 of 7,071
i had the 71B for quite a while and loved it. It is an amp that improves with hours and hours of use. A lot of folks here have said it too dark or too warm but when I went to meets with mine the first thing someone would say without listening to it was what was said here on Headfi.. Then they would listen to mine! Every single one of them expressed how open sounding it was and could not understand why mine sounded different to what is reported here. It simply came down to the amount of hours I feel.

When I sold mine it had almost 800 hours on it and that is important when any comments on headfi are made about equipment, how many hours on it, what are you using it with as I so often see negative comments about something (T5P is a case in point) when in fact the negativity comes from either the component showing up what is lacking in the rest of the chain (T5P!) or it needs a good amount of hours on it (T5P/Blackbird)

Another thing with the Blackbird I found was that with more hours on it the differences between balanced and single ended output lessened to the point of being so small as not to be worth comparing for differences.

To the person who asked which amp, what headphones are you using as that will help in giving advice. Also, if money is no object then I would recommend looking at Analog Squared Papers amps, truly remarkable sound quality from transportable amps!

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,817 of 7,071
The 06 is about $690 with tubes at current exchange rates and the tubes Shikada San are using at the moment are some rather nice NOS Mil Spec Sylvania's

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #3,819 of 7,071
I doubt it unless someone from there has purchased it. These are built to order by one person and all hand built.. REALLY hand built!! If you were in Vancouver you would be more than welcome to listen to my 05.
I am sure Anak will add some thoughts as he tested one and I believe purchased the very first one!

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #3,820 of 7,071
I doubt it unless someone from there has purchased it. These are built to order by one person and all hand built.. REALLY hand built!! If you were in Vancouver you would be more than welcome to listen to my 05.
I am sure Anak will add some thoughts as he tested one and I believe purchased the very first one!

Ian is your 05 back?

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #3,821 of 7,071
it's been sitting in customs since early yesterday morning! Hopefully it will clear this weekend and be delivered on Monday, I am, as you can imagine, itching to have it back!

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #3,823 of 7,071
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your responses, and regarding headphones, I just use my W4R's.Will I get a lot of white noise floor with the RX-MK3B+?

I've heard the A2P amps are amazing, how do they fare with IEMs though?

Thanks!

walshy

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,825 of 7,071
Fellow AK120 Owners

How much free music came on your unit. Mine had 9 full 24 bit albums from Thriller to Dave Brubeck

Did I get a returned unit or did the new ones have this music?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back