The Astell & Kern AK120
Sep 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3,752 of 7,071
Mim, did you use the 901 with balance cable or single ended but with balance card?

Don't. It was a really tough decision. The AK120 is smaller, prettier, more ergonomic, more stable, has longer battery and larger memory than 901. The 901 SQ is better to my ears WITH BALANCED CARD, but that is me. There is more power / authority / control. But you can always amp the AK120 if the sound is not enough for you....but it sounds great still.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #3,753 of 7,071
Hmm, just downloaded the update from the US site and for some reason it won't unzip like the old one did. I am using a Mac and normally I just drag the file from the download icon on the far right of Safari on to my desk top which I did this time but as I said, it won't unzip, anyone have any ideas?

It says "Decompression failed"

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3,754 of 7,071
Ahh, just tried the Korean site and it worked this time. i know This may sound stupid but is there a difference between the US and Korean downloads? Will I get it updated in Korean? :D

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3,755 of 7,071
Quote:
Hmm, just downloaded the update from the US site and for some reason it won't unzip like the old one did. I am using a Mac and normally I just drag the file from the download icon on the far right of Safari on to my desk top which I did this time but as I said, it won't unzip, anyone have any ideas?

It says "Decompression failed"

Ian

I will drop the FW to you!

Edit

Done..should be with you in 5 mins
size]

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #3,756 of 7,071
Thanks Gavin, Not sure if you read but I managed to do it via the Korean site. I am guessing all are the same?

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3,758 of 7,071
See, I told you me and computers are both alien beings trying to communicate with each other, thanks so much for that. I will keep yours but am just now going to pop the one i downloaded in to the player!

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #3,760 of 7,071
OK, it is now upgrading, Honestly with things like this I wish for the days of my old Sony Walkman Pro cassette player, the only things I had to do with that were demagnetizing and tape head cleaning. For a luddite such as myself this computer update malarky fills me with trepidation.. Oh wait, its update though there is no metadata still on my DSD files!

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3,761 of 7,071
Quote:
OK, it is now upgrading, Honestly with things like this I wish for the days of my old Sony Walkman Pro cassette player, the only things I had to do with that were demagnetizing and tape head cleaning. For a luddite such as myself this computer update malarky fills me with trepidation.. Oh wait, its update though there is no metadata still on my DSD files!

I had to re scanned my files and the DSF files shows up on the metadata but no cover art......... 

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #3,762 of 7,071
Thanks Gavin for your help, I really appreciate it. I have just started to scan so will see if I get the same results, hopefully with the next update they can include the cover art.

As to sound, well, listening briefly I have to say I prefer this version. Listening to a DSD of harp playing Glasses Metomorphisis it does sound a tad quieter but in exchange it sounds to my ears sweeter and more natural. Likewise a 16/44 FLAC of Lara StJohn's Bach album the violin has even more of that waxy, organic feel, sweet and smooth on the high notes and slightly grainy on the lower registers but again, it's the ease and naturalness I like, it seems to have upped it from the previous version I feel.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #3,763 of 7,071
I am still debating whether to update or not.  I don't use DSF and I have no problem with my playback.  BTW, why does the sound changes when you update your firmware, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3,765 of 7,071
Performed a quick search and skim of new posts since my last visit

Has anyone performed a DAC-off between RWA-S mod vs Clas Solo -R / -dB fed into an external amp? I am sure the S mod sounds nice but 2x in price as nice?!
blink.gif

Putting aside the RWAK120-B teaser which I am sure will set new benchmarks in standards and pricing
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back