The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,391 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks mate, I am really looking forward to hearing what this player can do. I think I am going to speed up the charging by plugging it into my iPad charger now.
Just spend an enjoyable half hour sticking the protective film on front and back and slipping the player in the lovely leather case. Can't wait to hear it with my amp!

Ian...

Rather than charge it up new.....you should just use it until the battery is exhausted and then give it a good overnight charge on a 500mAH usb port.......
size]

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,392 of 7,071
Thanks mate, I will do that!

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #3,393 of 7,071
Well, early days and some burn in to go and I have to get used to finding albums, some did not show up until I went to folders and found them there.

I will wait full till it has burned in a little and I get a chance to try it with my ASP TU-05 Class A SET tube amp but I have a feeling it is going to be a really lovely match with that amp!

However, listening tonight to some of my high res files there is a lovely analogy relaxed feel to the music. My 801 was a step up from my classic/CLAS combo in terms of smoothness and effortless delivery. The 120 takes that further, grain free is a word that comes to mind ( and bare in mind so far all my listening is being done with my very revealing Beyer T5P's which do not suffer fools gladly!)

Two years ago I would have never made a statement like this, I would have scoffed at a portable player costing this much but I have to say I actually think this little player is excellent value!

It has a very "grown up" attitude to replaying music, feels really well made and just sounds effortless and natural in its music presentation. Money well spent!

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #3,394 of 7,071
Quote:
Well, early days and some burn in to go and I have to get used to finding albums, some did not show up until I went to folders and found them there.
I will wait full till it has burned in a little and I get a chance to try it with my ASP TU-05 Class A SET tube amp but I have a feeling it is going to be a really lovely match with that amp!

However, listening tonight to some of my high res files there is a lovely analogy relaxed feel to the music. My 801 was a step up from my classic/CLAS combo in terms of smoothness and effortless delivery. The 120 takes that further, grain free is a word that comes to mind ( and bare in mind so far all my listening is being done with my very revealing Beyer T5P's which do not suffer fools gladly!)

Two years ago I would have never made a statement like this, I would have scoffed at a portable player costing this much but I have to say I actually think this little player is excellent value!

It has a very "grown up" attitude to replaying music, feels really well made and just sounds effortless and natural in its music presentation. Money well spent!

Excellent Ian.....really glad you are enjoying the AK120 in these early stages!!!

beerchug.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #3,395 of 7,071
Quote:
 Estimated HKD 12000 !!!! mean around 1500 to 1600 dollar....
look forward about the spec but hope it won't trigger me, if not my wallet will be disappear.

Personally I think it would be a much more sensible use of iRiver's time to concentrate on improving the documentation, help, etc for the existing units - as well as improving the firmware in important usability respects like handling of playlists - instead of worrying about the next device. I love the sound of the 120, but unless I see clear evolution especially in the usability area, given the high pricetag my next purchase will be with a competitor.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #3,396 of 7,071
Quote:
Personally I think it would be a much more sensible use of iRiver's time to concentrate on improving the documentation, help, etc for the existing units - as well as improving the firmware in important usability respects like handling of playlists - instead of worrying about the next device. I love the sound of the 120, but unless I see clear evolution especially in the usability area, given the high pricetag my next purchase will be with a competitor.

Presumably, they should be doing both.  Obviously, there is a need for new product development, but if they don't focus on support of existing units and improving certain things like the interface, tag support for all formats etc., they will likely lose some market share in a rapidly developing, competitive environment.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,398 of 7,071
I see NO problem with usability. What issues do you have. My only issue is that since I have somethimg5 like 140gb on it, it takes some time to charge whem I come back to my main folder or playlist. And I would defintely be VERY interested by a new define with even better sound and all the existing qualities in terms of build and ergonomics.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #3,399 of 7,071
Did red wine audio make the Rwak120 from 3.5 mm jack to 6.5 mm which means I have to use a adaptor if I want to listen to IEMs?

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,400 of 7,071
This morning listening to Janos Starkers French album from HDTT through my DT1350's these are a great pairing with this player.

So far I have found success with both my Beyers (T5P/DT1350) and my Piano Fortes.

This player really does justice to the care and attention taken by HDTT in the transcription of old tapes to digital.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #3,402 of 7,071
Quote:
I see NO problem with usability. What issues do you have. My only issue is that since I have somethimg5 like 140gb on it, it takes some time to charge whem I come back to my main folder or playlist. And I would defintely be VERY interested by a new define with even better sound and all the existing qualities in terms of build and ergonomics.

There are some minor usability issues.  Here are a few:

(1)  Sluggish menus, particularly with DSD files playing.

(2)  Metatag and cover art issues with .wav files.  Programs like JRiver and Amarra HiFi, and other daps have worked this out.

(3)  User interface issues with playlists, song deletion, initialization of microSD cards etc.

But overall, I agree that it is pretty darn good.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3,403 of 7,071
Quote:

Yeah I'd rather see an AK120 MK2 TBH with more features, slightly improved sound. They could consider some of the RWA mod when making decisions. I really wish there was a line out and headphone out with this unit. I would have bought it already, but I'm too worried about using it as a home DAC, and the RWA S mod is too expensive especially with the need for a portable amp, which I do not own.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #3,404 of 7,071
Quote:

Yeah I'd rather see an AK120 MK2 TBH with more features, slightly improved sound. They could consider some of the RWA mod when making decisions. I really wish there was a line out and headphone out with this unit. I would have bought it already, but I'm too worried about using it as a home DAC, and the RWA S mod is too expensive especially with the need for a portable amp, which I do not own.

Hate to display my ignorance, but could someone explain to me what an AK120 MK2 TBH is??  

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #3,405 of 7,071
Astell &Kern AK120 Mk2 To Be Honest.. Least I think thats what he means! :D

To us pre-cell phone old codgers Harry its all gobbledegook! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back