The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3,376 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks for reply! The reason I’m asking is because my entire music collection is on vinyl except of few CDs. Most probably I’ll be getting AK120 soon, mainly for listening during trips, flights etc.
Same time I’m thinking of archiving my vinyl collection and considering new Tascam DA3000 that can do recording at High Sampling Frequencies DSD 5,6 MHz and PCM up to 192 kHz. As far as I see AK120 can play PCM 192 kHz files without any issues.

Wow. Well if you have good equipment to rip those vinyl and they are in excellent condition., you're gonna be in for a real treat! :wink:.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,377 of 7,071
Quote:
Thanks for reply! The reason I’m asking is because my entire music collection is on vinyl except of few CDs. Most probably I’ll be getting AK120 soon, mainly for listening during trips, flights etc.
Same time I’m thinking of archiving my vinyl collection and considering new Tascam DA3000 that can do recording at High Sampling Frequencies DSD 5,6 MHz and PCM up to 192 kHz. As far as I see AK120 can play PCM 192 kHz files without any issues.

Yes indeed.  The 192khz and DSD files sound awesome on the AK120.  You'll love it.  I'll be interested in your digitizing of the vinyl.  I studied various methods to do it a few years ago, but haven't done it yet.  If you get the Tascam, I'll be interested in your assessment of sound played from the vinyl vs. the rip, particularly in light of surface noise.  It will be important to make sure you get your vinyl dust free before the rip.  This is one of my next projects too!!

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #3,378 of 7,071
Yay, just got home to find a package! Charging and loading the music folder as I type! One of the things I loved when I opened the box was how they have taken a leaf out of Rolex's book and put protective tape over the sides back and front. Removing it reminded me of the day I got my Air-King and all the fun I had taking the tape of that! By heck its small though!

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,380 of 7,071
I got a Facebook update that there is a new firmware just released, think it is 200 but ill go back and check. It was several hours ago, thought I would see some chatter out here about it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #3,381 of 7,071
I saw that, I think it is for the AK100

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #3,382 of 7,071
Quote:

You might regret removing the protective 'tape' if you are allergic to scratches....I know I am and left mine on for that reason.

I recommend wrapping the entire unit in 3 or 4 layers of Saran Wrap.  
dt880smile.png

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #3,384 of 7,071
I recommend wrapping the entire unit in 3 or 4 layers of Saran Wrap.  :dt880smile:

You guys are hysterical!

Loaded all my Hi-Res files now and had a quick listen through my T5P's and organic is the first word that comes to mind, lovely soundstage but more to come once it has a full charge on it!

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,385 of 7,071
Quote:
You guys are hysterical!

Loaded all my Hi-Res files now and had a quick listen through my T5P's and organic is the first word that comes to mind, lovely soundstage but more to come once it has a full charge on it!

Huge congrats Ian!!

Give it a 4-5 hours to settle in................layers comes one after the other in these initial hours.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3,387 of 7,071
Huge congrats Ian!!

Give it a 4-5 hours to settle in................layers comes one after the other in these initial hours.

Thanks mate, I am really looking forward to hearing what this player can do. I think I am going to speed up the charging by plugging it into my iPad charger now.
Just spend an enjoyable half hour sticking the protective film on front and back and slipping the player in the lovely leather case. Can't wait to hear it with my amp!

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #3,388 of 7,071
I'm not sure if that will have a negative impact on the battery in the long term. I've heard using charges with higher ratings will reduce the amount of times you can charge it as well as how long it holds the charge? I'm just using the stock USB cable and at max an external 500 mAh usb plug to be on the safe side....

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #3,389 of 7,071
Mine opened up through the day. After 18 hours was really nice.

So by the weekend it will be fully on song, thanks for that Lee. Does anyone know how long the charge takes via the iPad charger?

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #3,390 of 7,071
I'm not sure if that will have a negative impact on the battery in the long term. I've heard using charges with higher ratings will reduce the amount of times you can charge it as well as how long it holds the charge? I'm just using the stock USB plug and at max an external 500 mAH usb plug to be on the safe side....

Ahh, just saw your post after I plugged it in. I am ever cautious so will plug it back into my Mac Book pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back