The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,331 of 7,071
Quote:
Just a quick technical question, will the 120 play 24/192 wav files? Just downloading Astral Weeks in that format and not sure if I have to convert it to FLAC after to play on this player, hopefully it plays high rez wav files unlike my 801!

WOW! Just finished the download... 3.29 G for the album!!
eek.gif

Why being able to hold almost 200gb was a selling point.

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #3,332 of 7,071
Oh no, its not a problem, I just have never downloaded a 24/192 wav file before, been used to 24/96 FLAC which are usually around 1.2G in size, was just surprised the album is roughly the same as some DSD files!

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #3,333 of 7,071
Doesn't Wolfson provide information on calling such basic controls to those to whom it sells it's chips? Hard to imagine that such a call is not a standard one that the chip supports for all implementations of it. That being the case, someone clever at reverse-engineering code ought to be able to help Vinnie find the call the existing chip uses :wink:

Quote:
In this day and age, there must be many people smart enough to figure out the code and then change it to  support the 8731!

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #3,334 of 7,071
I believe it's not compatible with the same control setup.so it's not a simple matter of changing code to accommodate. In fact if it were just code, they'd probably share the same  one. The analog portion of the cards are slightly different as well. The 41 needing a minimum of 4.5 vs 3.5 V for the 40. That is a more interesting aspect to me under low battery conditions. May make using it like the 8740 moot regardless of control.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3,335 of 7,071
I thought I'd share more of the Van Nuys Ak120 case which I received just today. I bought a few other options to custom it a little. It's made out of ballistic nylon and some leather options.

This is with full leather flap and a belt strap :-

How the belt strap hooks onto the case

Access to buttons and headphone jack port access on the leather flap.

Same with charging.

There's an actual pocket which one could put in their microSD (although probably not intended that way). I think it'll be better to put the microSDs into a little case and slip that case into that pocket.

This is the basic option with a strip flap and a sling (sling around a belt loop)

Finally, one may ask how to access the touchscreen.

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #3,338 of 7,071
It's an order only and mine took about 2 weeks. Sadly I was away on holidays when the delivery attempt was made and I could have used it in my trip (notice the dent on my brown leather case at the bottom near the microUSB port?).

I won't say it's perfect but it'll definitely do its job in protecting the AK120 whilst in use. It is a little loose so I don't think I'd put the AK120 by itself into the Van Nuys case. I'd still keep the leather jacket on. The rest though is somewhat for fashion too :wink:.

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #3,340 of 7,071
Aug 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #3,341 of 7,071
Quote:

I've not tried it but I'm guessing it's not molle standard width. Group buys against HF policy :p.

That's too bad then, but again those Van Nuys guys need to wise up and ship international.

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #3,342 of 7,071
Quote:
That's too bad then, but again those Van Nuys guys need to wise up and ship international.

I don't think they actually worry too much about that. They're already quite busy with the local market.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #3,343 of 7,071
Aug 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,344 of 7,071
Finally got my AK120, about 20 days after ordering it (thanks to living overseas and dealing with mailing issues unrelated to TTVJ, who were great).

I immediately plugged in my UERMs and tested out the pre-loaded sample tracks.  Woah.  I was expecting a high degree of resolution, an expansive soundstage and crystal clarity, but even those high expectations were surpassed.  The music really just has a natural effortlessness that I haven't yet heard in a portable, and I've owned quite a few high-end portables (HM-801, CLAS, HP-P1).  I was especially glad to see that the AK120 gives PLENTY of volume range with my UERMs--every other player and portable amp I've tried, with a few exceptions, has a gain that is way too high for my custom IEMs even on the lowest volume.

I just upgraded to 1.32, so I'll see if or how my impressions change.  One question:  How do you delete songs off the player?  On accident, while in the Songs list, I'll see an option to delete the selected song (a trash can icon appears).  But I can't duplicate this on purpose--I've swiped in every direction, double tapped, etc.  And the manual doesn't seem to explain how to delete songs from the player itself (without loading it onto a PC of course).  What am I missing?

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,345 of 7,071
Nevermind, I see that a straight swipe left across a song will bring up the delete menu.  But I'm noticing another issue:  A lot of my files are getting the "file not supported" error.  Some of my APE and FLAC (converted from SACD) files are giving this error.  I'll have to check exactly what the origin of these files is, but I guess my dream of having a true "put anything on it and it will play" DAP is being shattered...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back