The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,657 of 7,071
Just upgraded to 1.32.  Still having some issues with tags and artwork showing up for some albums.  When I try various tagging software, in every case the full tags come up.  Not sure what to do to get the AK120 to recognize these tags (is it an ID3 version issue for example? I read about the artwork size issue, don't know if that's still a problem w the current FW)

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,658 of 7,071
Quote:
Highly Recommended!!!

http://sanfranciscosymphony.downloadsnow.net/mahler-symphony-no-1

http://sanfranciscosymphony.downloadsnow.net/mahler-symphony-no-2

Really showcases how good DSD can sound...................
size]

Wow.....just downloaded Mahler #1 and am playing it on 1.32 with IE800's.  Best sound ever through headphones!!!  Never heard anything close.  On to download Mahler #2.    Thanks for the recommendation.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,659 of 7,071
Quote:

Wow.....just downloaded Mahler #1 and am playing it on 1.32 with IE800's.  Best sound ever through headphones!!!  Never heard anything close.  On to download Mahler #2.    Thanks for the recommendation.

Ok....here's a question.  Are there any sonic differences between the different DSD formats.  I had a choice to download .DSF or .DFF.  I picked .DSF.  No way i'm spending $50 to do a blind A-B comparison on this one!

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2,660 of 7,071
Quote:
As usual the firmware cannot be downloaded from the US site!!

Please sort this out IRiver, this has been an issue for months now with any files downloaded from your US site!!

Is anyone able successfully download this and perhaps host it somewhere?

JMoon, please kick some ass about this

Sorry about this guys. I've been hammering away trying to address this issue with downloading. We hope to have it resolved soon.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #2,661 of 7,071
Quote:

Ok....here's a question.  Are there any sonic differences between the different DSD formats.  I had a choice to download .DSF or .DFF.  I picked .DSF.  No way i'm spending $50 to do a blind A-B comparison on this one!

In general DSF has the ability to hold metadata and DFF doesn't (apart from this I personally haven't done an A/B between them in terms of one having a file container or not.  I for one have for several years only ripped into and used WAV because of what I perceived to be a better SQ vs uncompressed FLAC or AIFF... but I've been called crazy for this view)

Then there's DSD64 vs 128 vs the more theoretical (at this point) 256 which are bitrate differences.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,662 of 7,071
Quote:
In general DSF has the ability to hold metadata and DFF doesn't (apart from this I personally haven't done an A/B between them in terms of one having a file container or not.  I for one have for several years only ripped into and used WAV because of what I perceived to be a better SQ vs uncompressed FLAC or AIFF... but I've been called crazy for this view)

Then there's DSD64 vs 128 vs the more theoretical (at this point) 256 which are bitrate differences.

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,664 of 7,071
Just upgraded to 1.32.  Still having some issues with tags and artwork showing up for some albums.  When I try various tagging software, in every case the full tags come up.  Not sure what to do to get the AK120 to recognize these tags (is it an ID3 version issue for example? I read about the artwork size issue, don't know if that's still a problem w the current FW)

You have to mix all recos to clean your. I do not have SINGLE issue anymore. Use mp3tag and remove all unwanted hidden tags. Make sure you are not above max pic size, and also make sure your pics are ALL in jpg and not png

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,665 of 7,071
Quote:
You have to mix all recos to clean your. I do not have SINGLE issue anymore. Use mp3tag and remove all unwanted hidden tags. Make sure you are not above max pic size, and also make sure your pics are ALL in jpg and not png

This works, mp3tag works and I am almost there.

Just one issue what exactly is the max pic size (300x300 or 500x500). A couple of my Putumayo albums are showing up very odd.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,666 of 7,071
Quote:

Just one issue what exactly is the max pic size (300x300 or 500x500). A couple of my Putumayo albums are showing up very odd.

Unfortunately all my files (except some hi res downloads) are WAV stored in iTunes and I've maintained my tags in the itunes database file (Mac OSX).  I can convert to AIFF and retain tags (and embed the artwork with iTunify), however MP3Tag doesn't support AIFF.  I'm also losing tracks now randomly on the 64GB Sandisk miniSD cards which is a nightmare.  They're formatted as exFAT, while I noticed the AK120 is formated in FAT32.  Wondering if the format has anything to do with it?  I ran chkdsk and there was a fair amount of corruption that occurred on the cards and lost most of my files when I ran the fix.  So back to square one on the reconvert library, so considering other options to try to make it work with the AK. 

(I should add notwithstanding getting the tagging right, the SQ is just awesome, REALLY loving this combination of the AK120 and the IE800)

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,668 of 7,071
Quote:

I have no issues with max pic size. Keeping it small reduces the size of your files, so it is obviously good, but don't worry too much. I have nothing smaller than 500 x 500

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,669 of 7,071
Quote:

I have no issues with max pic size. Keeping it small reduces the size of your files, so it is obviously good, but don't worry too much. I have nothing smaller than 500 x 500

Got it, 500x500 it is. thanks

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #2,670 of 7,071
I already posted the differences I hear. They are slight but as I said the sound is smoother particularly in the upper registers. Volume has also gone down (not as much gain I assume)? So I basically raise the volume higher on 1.32. The bass also seems to have a little more texture to it & possibly just a tad more quantity. The mids also seem to have slightly more room to breath (more contrast). Note I am not saying these differences are night and day. To me night and day would be going from 1.00 to 1.21 or was 1.23 lol? But these differences are noticeable to me. :wink:

On a plus note if you don't hear any differences you still benefit from your SD card slots not disappearing on you every time you load music to the player and eject. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back