The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #2,236 of 2,262
See AK released firmware 1.36 for the 240. Has anyone applied it yet? Thanks.
"Improved operational stability" plus something having to do with the AK Ripper. The latter means nothing to me, but am interested also in what the update could affect. I'm wondering whether this might be the last or one of the last updates to this system. Has anyone heard how much longer AK plans to support the 240?

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,240 of 2,262
Mine does not go back to track 1, just stops after the last track in the folder has played....just like previous FW.

From the main menu, if I go to "Folder", then navigate to my album of choice, scroll down the track list and notice how many tracks there are, and then select "Play All", when I then go to the playlist button (top right), there is now another "empty" track appended to the list and its when it hits this that it automatically loops back to track 1. I never noticed this behaviour on previous firmwares.
Can anyone else confirm that this happens to them too?

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #2,241 of 2,262
Don't feel discouraged as I feel Head-Fi is one of the best fora and online community I had been a part of and in no small part thanks to the hard work put in by all the moderators. With AK's pricing and the less than stellar SQ performance of AK100/120 the bashing on a $2,500 AK240 is expected and almost understandable, especially for folks who have not had extended time to listen to it. I was skeptical after my first brief listen but is getting more and more impressed with my usage.

Also want to share DSD gapless doesn't work for me either. These are all SACD concert albums ripped into dsf files. I had since converted them into 24bit flac and gapless works. Also I found multi-channel FLAC ripped from DVD-A also doesn't work without converting into 2-channel.

Battery is also draining faster than charging from a 2.1A wall plug when playing DSD files. AK should have used USB3 and take advantage of the faster charging like my Note3.
Hi,
I wondered if you could help me with my newly acquired AK240 - it won't play any DSD,DFF or DSF files that I put on it but works otherwise perfectly (it's second hand) and I wondered if I'm doing something wrong
Many thanks

Craig

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,242 of 2,262
All, where can I get a cable to connect my AK240 to a Woo GES amp? I think a mini to RCA cable. Would the cable run from the balanced or single ended out of the AK240?
Thanks
James

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,243 of 2,262
Hey folks,
Just a quickl to save me trawling.
First time on this thread.
I currently own a chord poly/mojo and SQ is excellent.
I'm planing on doing a few long distance hikes and need to keep they weight down
as im no spring chicken. Thought about buying an AK 120 II, if 1 can find one or the 240 but that'
a bit more of stretch of course. To fund it I would have to part with my current combo.
I actually and thankfully still have excellent hearing, ok no doubt lost some range but I can still hear the
difference between cables, folks who know me make sure I'm well out of whiser range, ha ha.

What are your thoughts?
I enjoy my Mojo mainly with classical piano / violin and the likes of Ludovico Einaudi and Violin from Nemaja Radulovic for more modern interpretation.
As long as im not stepping down too much or if at all, I'd be a happy chap.

Oh and importantly, reason for those choices I use Qobuz streaming and import for offline use, not sure if they're streaming only though?

I'd appreciate it, wading through posts has not really helped so far..

Edit. ... forgot to add I use Noble Kaiser Encore IEM. For pairing advice too if poss. please

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #2,244 of 2,262
Hey folks,
I'm planing on doing a few long distance hikes and need to keep they weight down
as im no spring chicken.

In my experience, which is AK240 with and without Mojo, I think during critical listening you'd find a slight narrowing of the sound stage with Encores vs a phone+Mojo or AK+Mojo, but if your goal is primarily to have a hiking rig then it could make sense. Would a phone+Mojo really put you over the top in terms of a hiking rig?

My point--the almost unavoidable sounds of walking (sound traveling through your body from footfalls, cable-clothing microphonics, etc) don't seem to warrant buying a all-in-one DAP that may not deliver what you already are getting from the Mojo. Unless I'm missing something, I think this might be at best a lateral move and could potentially lessen your enjoyment when you're in a more focused and quiet listening situation. I mean, you didn't list any Cookie Monster Metal among your listening preferences; at rest you might find the AK-only a little lacking.

Don't get me wrong: the AK120 and 240 are great DAPs, but I wouldn't toss a Mojo to get one. Not with Encores anyway. Even after adding the Red Wine mods to my 240, I still prefer adding the Mojo most of the time--on the go or sitting still.

Good luck!

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #2,245 of 2,262
Thank you for your thoughts.
Yes I'm leaning towards keeping the Mojo.
I take your points. The Mojo has the Poly unit attached and it is quite weighty
It's surprising how the grams add up when you have your home on your back.
Using phone as a source would be awkward with the rucksack straps compressng pockets etc.
Also, I found when coupled close to my phone RFI was intrusive, separating with a longer cable, as above, awkward.
Yes agree, sound propagation will be an issue while moving but I expect that, nice in the tent after 16+ miles though.
I can tell when I'm tense, tight jaw, tension in neck etc becoming audible, i can become quite tense unknowingly and it's a useful indicator.
I contemplated uprading my phone to the LG V30, I'm not familiar with modern phones to be honest but that one has a 32bit ESS Sabre ES9218P.
What that means on it's own within a phone, not knowing amp stage etc etc I've no clue without hearing it. But its an option for travel I suppose and keep my Poly/Mojo (affectionately known as Polyjo) for short walks.

Thanks you've helped, I had a feeling this would be most folks thoughts.
I'll think on it some more and wait on other suggestions / advice

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #2,246 of 2,262
It's surprising how the grams add up when you have your home on your back.

LOL. I misunderstood.

When I read "long hikes" = me walking a couple miles into the woods, then returning to my car so I can flop down on the sofa that night with a beer and a cucumber peel.

Sounds like for you, "long hikes" = "Hey man, I might see you next month! And don't worry, I have my bear-wrestling gloves with me."

In which case opting for an all-in-one DAP makes a lot of sense. A good friend of mine has an AK120II; we spent time one night testing them across different IEMs and cables, and found that in many ways the 120II held its own against my RWAK240+. Neither of us felt they were equals, but close enough to make me second-guess the money I spent on the Red Wine mods. My point being that AK's mid-level DAPs are a good value, and I hear really great things about the AK70II--which you can get new for the same price as a used 120II.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #2,247 of 2,262
The 120ll was a 120 with 240 guts. So it's gonna sound like a 240. There might be minor differences, but basically the same. I've heard bass might be slightly better. My 240SS had a different sound than did my 120ll, mostly in clarity and some added brightness. But it wasn't an oh my god difference, more I like the difference difference. Now my SP1000SS is a big difference from the 240SS (and the 120ll), in all sorts of areas. THAT is an oh my god difference. The 120ll is a great DAP, especially if you find one used. I'm considering selling my 240SS, which would also be a great deal at a reasonable used price.

May 5, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2,248 of 2,262
I remember reading years ago that the 120II had 240 guts. I also remembered that at the time many folks liked the original 120 versus the 120II. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back