The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #586 of 2,262
I was listening directly out of the Sony. Maybe it was the amp? I'll try it as a source if I remember to.

I think you may be right about the balanced out making the most difference, going by some back-and-forth listening between the AK240 and other DAPs and whatnot tonight. It is inclining me even more to my thought that, other features and the rest of the design notwithstanding, it is best to be considering this DAP only if one intends to use the balanced output with a pair of the best IEMs or headphones as desired, obvious as that sounds.

Hi Amos

Please try Your Sony ZX 1 through digital line out use Sony Lod plus mini to mini pair to Your portable amp

You Will Love THE SQ , it is better than through HP Out

IMO

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #587 of 2,262
Jwbrent, I think it just goes to show we all have different tastes and perception. For example, I still love my AK100 for it's clean and neutral sound. And mine is the MK I.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're right, Kiats, we do all have different ideas on what makes a sound so memorable for us. I had fun with the AK100 too, certainly was a lot easier to carry on my hikes than the Colorfly C4 ...

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #588 of 2,262

You're right, Kiats, we do all have different ideas on what makes a sound so memorable for us. I had fun with the AK100 too, certainly was a lot easier to carry on my hikes than the Colorfly C4 ...

Exactly! And as long as we enjoy a particular signature, who can say we are wrong to do so? 
atsmile.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #590 of 2,262
Just by chance I had the opportunity to try out the 240 incomparison to my ipod/clas/rkmk3b stack. I kept to 16/44.1 to keep things even.

To be honest i was biased against the 240. Saw it as over-priced and a perhaps a spec-sheet-warrior.

But wow. Really, wow. I knew the mk3b was a bit on the darker side of things, but the 240 wasn't just brighter, it seems a more realistic presentation. With the alo you always knew you were uaing something portable, something with a sound that's more in than around your head. The 240 sounded more like desk top amplifiers and had a full-sized sort of air without losing the fine details. Really good. And the UI felt very well done too. No hang-ups and not solly errors.

I still feel the hugo is a better dac/amp. But the 240 does more, and all in such a tiny package too.

Awesome.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #592 of 2,262
Thanks for your reply - the version I downloaded from iriver to my iMac (running mavericks) I have repeatedly tried to expand without success - it will not expand with a double click or using stuffit etc. How did you get it to work?
Best, Andrew

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #593 of 2,262
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gelvzhqqht9m89n/MQSStreamingServer_Mac_2014_01_28_v0.4.6.dmg

They had a problem with their server.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #595 of 2,262
have any of you had issues with the AK240 over-heating while charging? i was flying back from seattle yesterday and mine started smoking smoking while it was charging on the plane. i was asleep and didnt know what the hell it was doing. i woke up from the stewardess waking me frantically. she ran and grabbed a bucket of ice water and threw the unit in the water. totally ruined!!!! i hope like hell they cover this. i have never seen an electronic except tube amps do this :frowning2: 

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #596 of 2,262
  have any of you had issues with the AK240 over-heating while charging? i was flying back from seattle yesterday and mine started smoking smoking while it was charging on the plane. i was asleep and didnt know what the hell it was doing. i woke up from the stewardess waking me frantically. she ran and grabbed a bucket of ice water and threw the unit in the water. totally ruined!!!! i hope like hell they cover this. i have never seen an electronic except tube amps do this :frowning2: 

Wow! I'm so sorry for you. Lithium ion batteries are known to explode sometimes. I wonder what the amperage was on the charger you were using—can't quite make out if you were plugged in to the plane's USB or your own. 

Let us know how things work out with iriver ...

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #597 of 2,262
Sorry Sargatanas, and best wishes for a quick repair/replacement!

So as to clarify for everyone, what was your recharge path? Directly USB from first class seat, or with your AC converter, and if so was it the AK converter or otherwise?

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #598 of 2,262

Wow! I'm so sorry for you. Lithium ion batteries are known to explode sometimes. I wonder what the amperage was on the charger you were using—can't quite make out if you were plugged in to the plane's USB or your own. 

Let us know how things work out with iriver ...

i was using the plane usb connect. i think it's a 3.0 high speed. what is the max voltage this unit will charge safely? is it safe to charge using a usb/120 volt charge? i got a feeling this company is gonna give me the run around because of how expensive the unit is. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #600 of 2,262
But the 240 does more, and all in such a tiny package too.

Awesome.

Glad to read you've moved out of Plato's cave ... the reality of the matter is the 240 is truly state of the art. As to its price, I'm sure other companies will release DAPs that will compare at a lower price, but we are all early adopters, so in our minds, the 240 is worth every penny. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back