The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #620 of 2,262
To nite I have time to pair my best DAP AK 240 worth my best Single. Ended Amp Wagnus Epsilon S

Source : AK 240 use line out
Amp : Wagnus Epsilon S
Iem : Earsonic SM 64 v2
Cable : Mini to Mini Crystal Cable Dream. Line 3 wires DIY

First impression :
High : crisp and extended high with very good detail,and presence , the clarity from portable set up I have owned
Mid : very sweet and very good in clarity and very good pronounce
Bass : very good in detail and bass impact , very clean bass reproduction so far I heard
Separation : very good separation
Soundstage : these combo make 3 D feeling like in bog concert hall
Hiss: no hiss
Background : black background

Overall : Wagnus Epsilon S has the best synergy from all I have tried in single ended amp pair with AK 240
If you like clarity In High , sweet midrange and very clean bass reproduction than This set Up is Yours taste

IMO

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #621 of 2,262
  here's the deal... airline personnel took the unit because they said it was dangerous! confiscated the damn thing. then i was questioned after we landed. when i got back to the terminal, the staff for that flight and the plane was gone. i had to file a report with delta. highly pissed off. i dont know how long this going to take to get my burnt unit back :frowning2:

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. I want to assure you all of our products have been thoroughly tested for mass production for public use. 

It does sound like it may be an isolated case, but we need to find out for sure what happened. Please send me a PM with the serial number of the AK240 (the SN on the box) and we'll start the process on getting you sorted out with your defective unit.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #622 of 2,262
  I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. I want to assure you all of our products have been thoroughly tested for mass production for public use. 

It does sound like it may be an isolated case, but we need to find out for sure what happened. Please send me a PM with the serial number of the AK240 (the SN on the box) and we'll start the process on getting you sorted out with your defective unit.

Thanks, JmoonAK, for offering to help.

If you don't mind, can I ask is if there is any issue with use while charging? The reason I ask is that the battery life of the AK240 is not quite what it was with the AK100 and AK120 and, as such, conceivably for long flights we would have charge while listening.

I look forward to your reply.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #623 of 2,262
I had an odd thing happen with my AK240 last Friday. I was charging it and listening to some music on my FitEar TG 334. All of a sudden the volume jumped up to a volume as loud as a speaker. I tried on my Roxannes and got the same volume. This issue went away after a restart.

Has anybody have this happen to their Ak240?

Would there be issues with the IEMs after this incident? They seem to be working fine. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #624 of 2,262
  I had an odd thing happen with my AK240 last Friday. I was charging it and listening to some music on my FitEar TG 334. All of a sudden the volume jumped up to a volume as loud as a speaker. I tried on my Roxannes and got the same volume. This issue went away after a restart.

Would there be issues with the IEMs after this incident? They seem to be working fine. 

I've never had this happen, but it probably is just one of those electronic freak outs which a reboot resolves.

I would imagine if your IEMs sound as they should, you're probably fine. It sounds like as soon as it happened you disconnected your IEMs, so you prevented any potential damage from occurring.

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #625 of 2,262

That's a little scary from a hearing damage point of view!  I haven't had that occur with my AK240 yet (though I haven't had it very long) but that did occur once with my DX50.  I think I lost a few years of hearing from that episode!

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #626 of 2,262

I had one occasion like this too with my AK240. Volume spike up suddenly so I immediately unplug my IEM from it. Never experienced it again after that, so I think it's probably just an isolated incident. I noted that the bug happened when my AK240 was just switched on and booted up and I plug in my IEM too quickly before it finishes scanning the files on my microsd card.

Today another weird incident occurred. Also happened under the same condition where I have just switched on my AK240 and immediately plug in my IEM too quickly while it was still processing something in the background. My entire UI suddenly jumped back and forth pages and also pull down the status bar from the top of the screen on its own without me touching the screen. Then I tried to press something on the screen to see if I can dictate it to stabilize and go into the folder screen and the music player crashed. Had to force reboot it by pressing the power button for 30 secs. Everything is ok after the reboot.

I guess the advice is do not operate it immediately or play songs after you fire it up, but let it finishes what it is trying to do at start up first.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #627 of 2,262

I had one occasion like this too with my AK240. Volume spike up suddenly so I immediately unplug my IEM from it. Never experienced it again after that, so I think it's probably just an isolated incident. I noted that the bug happened when my AK240 was just switched on and booted up and I plug in my IEM too quickly before it finishes scanning the files on my microsd card.

Today another weird incident occurred. Also happened under the same condition where I have just switched on my AK240 and immediately plug in my IEM too quickly while it was still processing something in the background. My entire UI suddenly jumped back and forth pages and also pull down the status bar from the top of the screen on its own without me touching the screen. Then I tried to press something on the screen to see if I can dictate it to stabilize and go into the folder screen and the music player crashed. Had to force reboot it by pressing the power button for 30 secs. Everything is ok after the reboot.

I guess the advice is do not operate it immediately or play songs after you fire it up, but let it finishes what it is trying to do at start up first.

Bluebear, I suspect that's because the media scanning is going on when you tried to play. The media scanning is very quick on the AK240, but there's still some lag time nevertheless.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #628 of 2,262

Bluebear, I suspect that's because the media scanning is going on when you tried to play. The media scanning is very quick on the AK240, but there's still some lag time nevertheless.
tongue_smile.gif

I am guessing the same too. Usually the scanning on my AK240 finishes in about 2-3 seconds. I think it is bad idea to do anything on it during that period (e.g. even plugging an IEM in). Otherwise, the UI may go out of control like what happened in my case.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #629 of 2,262
On a separate note, I've been running the MQS Streaming off my iMac nicely, even though my DSD files and FLACs are stored on a 3 TB external HDD (to keep them separate from my iTunes library which is kept on a NAS). 

The streaming is smooth even for the DSD files. There doesn't seem to be any degradation of SQ via streaming. However, what I did notice that when I am further away from my Airport Express base wifi station, even though I have extended the wifi network via use of the now discontinued smaller Airports, the streaming of DSD files may suffer the very occasional lag due to slower speeds of transmission of the large files. On the other hand, there is no issue at all with a normal lossless file. 

The MQS app is very intuitive and easy to set up. I am very pleased with it so far. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #630 of 2,262

I am guessing the same too. Usually the scanning on my AK240 finishes in about 2-3 seconds. I think it is bad idea to do anything on it during that period (e.g. even plugging an IEM in). Otherwise, the UI may go out of control like what happened in my case.

Indeed, Bluebear! Patience is something we all need to learn. Character building as taught by the AK 240. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back