The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #347 of 2,262
Emailed Drew at Moon audio, a few days ago, he suggested cypher labs algorithm duet , which is also balanced,for the AK-240, but I haven't found a ton of people using them, read a few reviews, all very positive .

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #348 of 2,262
this is how an AK240 stacks with RXIII.

the angled edges help holding the stack beautifully. I sometimes believe the angled edges was meant for this purpose.

Ah Ha! I knew it... ALO and Astell&Kern have been in cahoots from the beginning, said so in the original AK240 thread. They may as well have made the leather case fit the amp as well as the DAP .lol.

The 71b is much smaller of course and would be odd in the pocket. ALO have out smarted them it seems. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #349 of 2,262
The Roxanne is a lot better. I have both of these at the moment. Also the fit and noise isolation on the Roxanne is also much better. The only thing is the price :D

Talking about Roxanne, I'm extremely curious how AKR03 will turn out. I remember back then when K3003 got the spotlight on it, being described as amazing and all with doubled the prize tag of IE800... but when I went to compare them (before I owned IE800 so I got fresh ear to both pairs), IE800 won in an instant, which was why I ended up getting IE800.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #351 of 2,262
Talking about Roxanne, I'm extremely curious how AKR03 will turn out. I remember back then when K3003 got the spotlight on it, being described as amazing and all with doubled the prize tag of IE800... but when I went to compare them (before I owned IE800 so I got fresh ear to both pairs), IE800 won in an instant, which was why I ended up getting IE800.

I hear the Roxanne is a superb IEM, I have been reading there thread a lot, from what I gather, there are a lot of customer service issues, and long wait times. People love the quality once they get them

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #352 of 2,262
I hear the Roxanne is a superb IEM, I have been reading there thread a lot, from what I gather, there are a lot of customer service issues, and long wait times. People love the quality once they get them

I read that too, but in terms of CIEM. Now, regarding Universal IEM I am not quite sure who provides the best SQ...

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #354 of 2,262
I emailed them last week and received a reply that they are not modding existing IE800s; only the ones that are bought new from them.

That's bad :/ Still no reply for them.
But can't really see myself buying a balanced IE800 when I already own it unbalanced, makes zero sense. Hence they won't get a dollar from me. Guess my money will go elsewhere if they're happy this way :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #355 of 2,262
That's bad :/ Still no reply for them.
But can't really see myself buying a balanced IE800 when I already own it unbalanced, makes zero sense. Hence they won't get a dollar from me. Guess my money will go elsewhere if they're happy this way :)

Would getting a balanced from ALO and selling the unbalanced one you have on hand make some sense? :p

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #357 of 2,262

I know the AK240 sounds very good without an amp exp. with iem or ciem headphones. I've been using mine without an amp since I had it, but yesterday I decided to try my vorzuge portable amp  with the 240 and the Roxanne.

Wow!!!  the difference to me is highly noticeable. The Roxanne now sounds a lot more like my full size headphones. The sound is no more in the center of my head like it used to be. The soundstage has now opened up a lot and the bass impact has increased a lot more, the details in the music is simply amazing now. 

I was going to sell the amp but not know, to my ears it's  a match made in  heaven. I wasn't too impressed with the AK240 and Roxanne before but now it's 100% amazing the way it sounds to me anyway. Playing DSD files now it's just wow.

My home rig is been left in the cold since. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #358 of 2,262

I was going to sell the amp but not know, to my ears it's  a match made in  heaven.

Did you manage to try your roxanne on balanced cable with the AK240? I had been telling myself I have enough IEMs but my mouse cursor somehow is still always hovering on the checkout button....

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #359 of 2,262
Did you manage to try your roxanne on balanced cable with the AK240? I had been telling myself I have enough IEMs but my mouse cursor somehow is still always hovering on the checkout button....

Yes I did but it didn't light my fire if you know what I mean.
biggrin.gif

I rather the sound I'm getting now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back