We have tried many audio gear , below set up impressed me until now

Source : AK 240
Music file : DSD from Opus 3
Amp : Bakoon Japan , SCA 7511 mk 3 mod
Headphone : ATH AD PRM 1000 rare item and discontinued
Cable : RCA WBT to mini plug Viablue with Crystal Cable Dreamline series

Sound quality :
The best sound quality I ever heard from desktop amp pair with AK 240
We heard DSD file from OPUS 3 , sound so full and more weight .
I love ak 240 play DSD file .

High : very smooth silky high with very good detail
Mid : very sweet and natural
Bass : tube like bass reproduction ,
Separation : very good that I can detect music placement very accurate
Soundstage : wide and very good depth

IMO

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #379 of 2,262
Oh ******. I sold my amps. (Before trying them with the AK240)
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

But - on the bright side - I can start looking and planning and lusting again. And developing even more self delusional reasons for more spending.

Chin up. Feel better already. There's always a bright side.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #380 of 2,262

is the vorzuge portable amp considered as one of the very best portable amp ?  Better than the SR71b or ALO RXIII ? 

IS there an UBER-Portable Amp that will also match exactly the AK240 footprint to make a perfect brick ? 

I believe you have already seen my post on my AK240 stacking with TTVJ's Apex Glacier on the other thread. Dimension footprint wise they both fit pretty well with Glacier being very slim and nice to stack with. Only issue with it is that it doesn't support balanced in/out. From my listening experience, it boosts AK240's SQ with more power to handle across the entire frequency range versus when listening direct out from AK240. Better body and sound feels even more well-controlled/presented even at low volume listening. Not sure if Glacier is a TOTL portable amp according to Head-Fi's standard, but I think it should at least be above average if not close to TOTL. I have also heard AK120 > ALO RXIII > 1plus2 before and I feel it is on par with the RXIII when it comes to IEMs. Not sure about if it's cans. I have tried pairing my old AK120 > Glacier > LCD-3 before and it works pretty well, so I think power wise it can handle most cans without much issue. Again just lacking of balanced in/out. I don't have any of the Vorzuge amp and haven't listen to one before so can't comment on those. Additionally, Apex Glacier is also a DAC/Amp combo so you can double it as a DAC for a PC, but its DAC is only capable of handling up to 24/96. I don't really use its DAC function since I have so many other devices that can do DAC function up to 24/192. If I have some spare time, I will bring my AK240 with Glacier down to one of my local audio shop and do a demo A-B comparison with some of the TOTL amps they have there.

So, if you have compared the AK240 amped and non Amped, can you tell us if the famous "Line-Out" of the AK240 is clean enough to properly drive an external Amp or, if you will need to make a...RWAK240-b or -s ?? 
biggrin.gif

My take on AK240 amp vs not amped is that the SQ is still very clean going through the amp and I did not hear any bad effects so I assume the analog "Line-Out" is quite good/clean. I have also tried AK240 SE digital line-out via optical tos-link to Hugo > 1plus2 / TH900 / HD800 and all 3 of them sounds phenomenal coming out from Hugo. It only gets bottle-necked by the low quality optical cable that Hugo provides and capped the audio out to 24/96. I read that you will need a very high-grade optical tos-link interconnect to be able to push the limit to 24/192 from AK240 to Hugo's side.

EDIT: And I think even the AK240's digital line-out cannot transport native DSD quality music to Hugo? Is that true? So the only connection on Hugo that can handle DSD is coaxial and digital USB via DoP?

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #381 of 2,262

EDIT: And I think even the AK240's digital line-out cannot transport native DSD quality music to Hugo? Is that true? So the only connection on Hugo that can handle DSD is coaxial and digital USB via DoP?

Yes, the manual states that the toslink output does not pass DSD. I believe the USB does pass DSD via DOP.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #382 of 2,262
I believe you have already seen my post on my AK240 stacking with TTVJ's Apex Glacier on the other thread. Dimension footprint wise they both fit pretty well with Glacier being very slim and nice to stack with. Only issue with it is that it doesn't support balanced in/out. From my listening experience, it boosts AK240's SQ with more power to handle across the entire frequency range versus when listening direct out from AK240. Better body and sound feels even more well-controlled/presented even at low volume listening. Not sure if Glacier is a TOTL portable amp according to Head-Fi's standard, but I think it should at least be above average if not close to TOTL. I have also heard AK120 > ALO RXIII > 1plus2 before and I feel it is on par with the RXIII when it comes to IEMs. Not sure about if it's cans. I have tried pairing my old AK120 > Glacier > LCD-3 before and it works pretty well, so I think power wise it can handle most cans without much issue. Again just lacking of balanced in/out. I don't have any of the Vorzuge amp and haven't listen to one before so can't comment on those. Additionally, Apex Glacier is also a DAC/Amp combo so you can double it as a DAC for a PC, but its DAC is only capable of handling up to 24/96. I don't really use its DAC function since I have so many other devices that can do DAC function up to 24/192. If I have some spare time, I will bring my AK240 with Glacier down to one of my local audio shop and do a demo A-B comparison with some of the TOTL amps they have there.

My take on AK240 amp vs not amped is that the SQ is still very clean going through the amp and I did not hear any bad effects so I assume the analog "Line-Out" is quite good/clean. I have also tried AK240 SE digital line-out via optical tos-link to Hugo > 1plus2 / TH900 / HD800 and all 3 of them sounds phenomenal coming out from Hugo. It only gets bottle-necked by the low quality optical cable that Hugo provides and capped the audio out to 24/96. I read that you will need a very high-grade optical tos-link interconnect to be able to push the limit to 24/192 from AK240 to Hugo's side.

If you want use your Hugo via optical cable to 24 / 192 , please use sys concept from Canada , it is the only optical can play hi res up to 24 / 196

I am agree with you the best SQ from Hugo :
Coax >
USB >
Optical >
Bluetooth

IMO

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #383 of 2,262
This Sunday morning I have tried my AK 240 pair with Mass Ko Bo 395

Amp : Mass Ko Bo 395
Iem : Earsonic SM 64 v1 and v2 is my favorite iem on the go
Cable : mini to mini Crustal Cable Dream Line DIY
Mini to mini with copper gold cable DIY

High : smooth silky high with very good detail and well pronounce , that I can hear hear cymbals so free
Mid : very sweet and natural sounding mid worth better weight
Bass : this bass SQ is combo sound from tube and solid state in one , very good impact and full body
Separation : very good that I can heard the music placement very accurate
Soundstage : 3 D soundstage

Overall :
I like this set up very intimate and audiophile sound quality , that you can hear for hours and not getting fatigue
And I,Ike the foot print between AK 240 and Mass Kobo 395 have very good match

IMO

With another mini to mini prototype DIY copper gold cable

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #384 of 2,262
My Simple Audiophile set Up After Office hours
Dac / Amp : IBasso D12 mod With Hi Fligt kit from head fi
Cable : Sys Concept Canada 2,2 mm optical cable
Music file : WAV , because ibasso D12 dac is not Support DSD file
Iem : Earsonic SM 64 v1 and v2

Note : use coaxial out = line out , The volume set Up to Max 75

I try to use external dac from dual Wolfson from Ibasso D12 mod
The result is amazing

High : is silky smooth High With very Good exttension from AK 240 as
Transport , clarity direct AK 240 is better more Criiing hahaha
Mid : sweet and more weight than from AK 240 it Self , more Warm
Bass : SQ on par between these Two dac , both has very Good bass
Impact and detail, With D12 has more Power
Separation : is on par , i can detect THE placement from the musician
Very accurate from AK 240
Soundstage : The widest soundstage from Dap what i heard to date and
And very Good Depth as well

Overall:
Very intimate , natural and neutral sound signature , With This combo i never heard detail before With My AK 100 or AK 120 .
Sometimes i must turn to The Door , i though somebody outside THE doors hahaha.
AK 240 + Ibasso D12 mod = The best Synergy what i have tried With external dac
You can hear For many hours you never get fatigue and Boring
If not My wife calling Me For dinner , i Dont want stop to listen This set Up
To night Will Be My night Time set Up hahaha

If you like Your AK 100 or AK 120 , these set Up AK 240 + Ibasso D 12 With Dual Wolson are the refinement
From AK 100 and AK 120 , i Said more to AK 100 , you Will Love it more Your AK 240
So amazing that i Dont want break For dinner

IMO

Comparison between AK 120 Titan mod vs AK 240

Source : AK 120 Titan mod ,
Dac / Amp : IBasso D12

The sound quality different between AK 120 Titan mod vs AK 240 :

High : AK 240 very clean , very Clear and better clarity With better rendering , to our Ears is relax
Mid : AK 120 Titan mod more forward , AK 240 THE position from The sanger is on The right place.
Bass : AK 120 everything more forward , AK 240 is on The right Place , cleaner and better detail
Separation : AK 240 is top notch Soundstage : AK 240 more 3D like We sit In big concert hall , AK 120 Titan mod is insite small concert hall

Overall : AK 240 is more balance , not so forward like AK 120 Titan mod , For long listening periode AK 240 is better not fatigue to our Ears , i prefer AK 100 than AK 120 , AK 100 is more natural sound than AK 120 Titan mod . Imo

I

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #386 of 2,262
My Simple Audiophile set Up After Office hours
Dac / Amp : IBasso D12 mod With Hi Fligt kit from head fi
Cable : Sys Concept Canada 2,2 mm optical cable
Music file : WAV , because ibasso D12 dac is not Support DSD file
Iem : Earsonic SM 64 v1 and v2

Note : use coaxial out = line out , The volume set Up to Max 75

I try to use external dac from dual Wolfson from Ibasso D12 mod
The result is amazing

High : is silky smooth High With very Good exttension from AK 240 as
Transport , clarity direct AK 240 is better more Criiing hahaha
Mid : sweet and more weight than from AK 240 it Self , more Warm
Bass : SQ on par between these Two dac , both has very Good bass
Impact and detail, With D12 has more Power
Separation : is on par , i can detect THE placement from the musician
Very accurate from AK 240
Soundstage : The widest soundstage from Dap what i heard to date and
And very Good Depth as well

Overall:
Very intimate , natural and neutral sound signature , With This combo i never heard detail before With My AK 100 or AK 120 .
Sometimes i must turn to The Door , i though somebody outside THE doors hahaha.
AK 240 + Ibasso D12 mod = The best Synergy what i have tried With external dac
You can hear For many hours you never get fatigue and Boring
If not My wife calling Me For dinner , i Dont want stop to listen This set Up
To night Will Be My night Time set Up hahaha

If you like Your AK 100 or AK 120 , these set Up AK 240 + Ibasso D 12 With Dual Wolson are the refinement
From AK 100 and AK 120 , i Said more to AK 100 , you Will Love it more Your AK 240
So amazing that i Dont want break For dinner

IMO

Comparison between AK 120 Titan mod vs AK 240

Source : AK 120 Titan mod ,
Dac / Amp : IBasso D12

The sound quality different between AK 120 Titan mod vs AK 240 :

High : AK 240 very clean , very Clear and better clarity With better rendering , to our Ears is relax
Mid : AK 120 Titan mod more forward , AK 240 THE position from The sanger is on The right place.
Bass : AK 120 everything more forward , AK 240 is on The right Place , cleaner and better detail
Separation : AK 240 is top notch Soundstage : AK 240 more 3D like We sit In big concert hall , AK 120 Titan mod is insite small concert hall

Overall : AK 240 is more balance , not so forward like AK 120 Titan mod , For long listening periode AK 240 is better not fatigue to our Ears , i prefer AK 100 than AK 120 , AK 100 is more natural sound than AK 120 Titan mod . Imo

I

Hey Rudi, question , with the I basso b-12, is there some sort of on off switch with that dac? Are you running them together ? And is that 2 into 1 in cable going into the AK-240 to the I basso, a optical line? I've always run my gear just straight up, no amp's or dacs

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #388 of 2,262
Hey Rudi, question , with the I basso b-12, is there some sort of on off switch with that dac? Are you running them together ? And is that 2 into 1 in cable going into the AK-240 to the I basso, a optical line? I've always run my gear just straight up, no amp's or dacs

No switch for The DAC on Ibasso D12 , it is dac / amp In One box

If i run from Ak240 / AK 120 , i use optical cable connect to optical / toslink In IBasso D12
If i use optical This has already By Pass The internal AK 120 / 240 and use D12 DAC .

Please try Your AK 240 With amp or dac , SQ is different In better Way

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #390 of 2,262
Hey Rudi,
Is there a big difference between the AK240 and the AK120 in transport mode (optical out)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back